Things to do to prepare for the OTA update to Android 4.3

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Just a few quick tips before jumping into Android 4.3 when it does roll out. Last week I got the gift of Android 4.3 on my Sprint HTC One so I felt I'd share some of the common tips and things to do before hand to make your experience less problematic.

Common Tips :

• Make sure all your important stuff is sync'd w/Google and you have made backups of any important photos, music, etc off your device. NO YOUR DEVICE WILL NOT BE WIPED!!! But... just in case something does go wrong better safe than sorry.
  • You have app/data options like Helium for a quick backup of your stuff. Again just another precaution for those important Angry Bird's cheevios!
  • Make sure your device is fully charged or at least over 50% before attempting to download and install the update. The device will not allow you to update unless its over 30 %, I think is the standard.
  • Be prepared in the event you may have to do a factory reset afterwards because its not performing as it should. This is a huge OS update in file size and visual and under the hood tweaks. Again perform the backups I mentioned above.

Rooted Users :

• If you wish to accept the OTA update you will need to have the stock recovery in place of your custom recovery to complete the update. Consult your devs or toolkit to RUU back to stock or to obtain the stock recovery.
  • Keep in mind, if you plan on staying rooted and flashing ROMs, etc.. You may now want to consider going S OFF. Currently on the Sprint version we can't S OFF from the new boot loader. Again consult the toolkit or dev for instructions on doing so.
  • Be patient, your devs will have flashable stock ROM up quickly but don't jump the gun until all instructions are out concerning upgrading firmware/radio, etc.
  • As stated above for my common tips, make your backups!! Photos, apps, data, etc using the app or method of choice. Titanium, MyBackup, Helium, Nandroid's, etc.

The wait is almost over! Enjoy your update :D

Paul
Forums Moderator.

badams1

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Good advice all around.
Thanks.

Now if you will excuse me....I have to get back to spamming the "Check Now" button....

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I really am so tempted to check for the update, but I really don't want to get locked out for 24-hours. I know I could change my clock, but I'd rather not go through the hassle.

Guess I gotta wait until I see others are having success with it. =/

Posted via Android Central App

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how AT&T will handle the roll out of the OTA but Sprint did very well. Seemed like it hit most customers all within a very short time frame instead of a slow, painful rollout.

badams1

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I really am so tempted to check for the update, but I really don't want to get locked out for 24-hours. I know I could change my clock, but I'd rather not go through the hassle.

Guess I gotta wait until I see others are having success with it. =/

Someone correct me if I am wrong....but I believe its a software update in "Settings\About\Software Updates" and not an ATT update...which mean you can check it as often as you like.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
If you want an easy, elegant backup solution, just use HTC Backup. It backs up everything including apps, your app drawer along with folders, your home screen along with any widgets and personlization options so when you restore you get back everything in the same state they were before.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
If you want an easy, elegant backup solution, just use HTC Backup. It backs up everything including apps, your app drawer along with folders, your home screen along with any widgets and personlization options so when you restore you get back everything in the same state they were before.

Wait, it says turning it on will disable Google Backup? I guess I can use this as a one-off and switch back to Google Backup. I like being able to sync some stuff between devices.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Wait, it says turning it on will disable Google Backup? I guess I can use this as a one-off and switch back to Google Backup. I like being able to sync some stuff between devices.

You can only have one backup at a time.

Since we have 4.1.2 Google Backup will not download/install the apps. I am not even sure whether Google backs up all the apps for 4.1.2, but it certainly does not back up home screen, app drawer along with folders, HTC apps (blinkfeed, TV etc.,) - So, HTC Backup wins hands down :)

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes that's correct. TBH as quickly as news hits I'm sure the moment the first received update is reported it will be on the AC blog. So keep checking the blog (Android Central | Android Forums, News, Reviews, Help and Android Wallpapers)

need some help folkes my friends HTC One downloaded the update but failed since he was on custom recovery.
i asked him to flash stock recovery and he did but now the update says wait for 23 hrs 54 min. how to force update or flash it via custom recovery???

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
need some help folkes my friends HTC One downloaded the update but failed since he was on custom recovery.
i asked him to flash stock recovery and he did but now the update says wait for 23 hrs 54 min. how to force update or flash it via custom recovery???

If your friend can push the stock recovery back to the device via bootloader & fastboot or using the toolkit then I'm sure you could get the OTA zip file and flash it in stock recovery.

OR

You can grab the file from here w/instructions...

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d%3D628%26p_name%3Dhtc-one-att&token=LX7A3sh3

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
If your friend can push the stock recovery back to the device via bootloader & fastboot or using the toolkit then I'm sure you could get the OTA zip file and flash it in stock recovery.

OR

You can grab the file from here w/instructions...

Support - ‎HTC One (AT&T) ‎ Product Support - News & download

the update showed up after doing the trick posted by this user http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-htc-one/321667-htc-4-3-update-live-3.html#post3124885

the link u posted seemed to be useful for factory restore. i will forward it to him. thanks for the help

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
You can only have one backup at a time.

Since we have 4.1.2 Google Backup will not download/install the apps. I am not even sure whether Google backs up all the apps for 4.1.2, but it certainly does not back up home screen, app drawer along with folders, HTC apps (blinkfeed, TV etc.,) - So, HTC Backup wins hands down :)

I use my backup pro and it's works well and with 4.3 google does back up right and restore right.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Simple math :)

HTC Backup == Free
My Backup Pro == $$

Thanks for the recommendation and your correct free verses paid. Same time not everyone is a fan of having or using HTC Sync on their computer. I'm one of those who prefer to avoid HTC's software.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith