AT&T HTC One - 4.3 Netflix is still SD?

travis8214

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I totally misinterpreted, but I thought along with 4.3, Netflix was supposed to sport SuperHD (at least 1080p) on android devices. I was really looking forward to the update, honestly largely because of that, and because I don't trust myself with phones enough to get into custom ROMs and whatnot. In any case, the same movies/shows on the same exact connection look fine/great on other devices, but here, on my one, they look exactly as they did before 4.3. Which isn't terrible, but, it's a 1080p screen, I'd like to really take advantage of that. Here's a visual example, from Paranorman, streaming on a 4th gen iPad top and 4.3 HTC one below. The difference is quite noticeable.
iPad

One

Everything else I've tried yields the same result, Parks&Rec, Breaking Bad, Arrested Development, Hercules, so on and so forth. Bear in mind this is on the exact same connection, 802.11n 5GHz, and configured to specifically just use the 5GHz connection and ignore the 2.4. Speedtest app reads the same on all devices/platforms (~3700 KB/s). I know Netflix's speed/quality page shows higher speeds than that, but I've been receiving SuperHD just fine on everything else. Even 720p would be fine, but as you can see from the screenshots, that's 360p, maybe 480p at best. What gives?

edzilla#AC

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Nope, pretty comparable to your shot. I guess it looks better to my eye viewing it on the small screen as opposed to blown up on my desktop.

Screenshot_2013-10-10-13-19-03.png

travis8214

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
So, then, anyone have any light to shed on this? Is there a setting, perhaps DRM related, that'll fix this?

Posted via Android Central App

travis8214

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Caught wind that this may in fact be due to Netflix enabling HD streaming on a device-specific basis. I'm not positive if this is true, or not, but if it is, I guess it's just a wait.

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it looks better on my kindle fire despite it being a lower resolution...

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084