angela horner

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Im going crazy over here.....my first HTC One crashed on me, one day it just wouldn't turn on at all, no matter what the support center coached me to do. warranty sent me a second free of charge, and it just crashed one me last night, after three months. A few days ago it started to not detect my sim, but I simply restarted my phone when this happened and it worked fine again. Last night, it shut itself off on me. Nothing I did turned it back on, and it didn't show that it was charging when on the charger. I left it alone, still connected to the charger. About an hour later I noticed the charging light blinking. I pressed the power button and it turned on, showed the white htc screen, then to the white AT&T screen with the rotating globe. It restarted itself a couple times, always after the white AT&T screen. FINALLY, it finshed powering on and I was able to see my home sceen, apps, etc. A lot of my apps were force closing, and if I tried to open one it lagged tremendously, sometimes force closing and going back to my home screen. I made a phone call, no problem, and talked for about thirty minutes. I reconnected it the charger, left it alone, and made a second phone call a couple hours later. After that phone call, at some point, it shut itself off again. When holding down the power button and lower volume button simultaneously, it gives me a greyish purple screen and my home/ back buttons blink. After a few moments, it goes black. I continue holding. It takes me to the Hboot screen ( I'm assuming this is what is is....the white screen with three Droids at the bottom)....At the top it says **Tampered** and underneath it reads **Locked** I am S-On. I don't know what any of that means but I know its important, just based on what I've read while trying to google the problem.
I've tried everything. Ive used my volume and power buttons to try to reboot the bootleg, reboot the phone ( I have fastboot on, and when I press reboot it takes me directly back to the Hboot screen and now reads "fastboot AC" ???? I've tried Recovery, and even factory reset but I still either am taken to the white HTC one screen, then the greyish purple (where I then reboot AGAIN just to get back to the Hboot screen) or it just takes me directly back to the Hboot screen by itself. Currently, after pressing Reboot, it's on the greyish purple screen and turning itself on ( where I get the white HTC screen, but then just switching back to the grey/ purple. Back and forth, with majority of time spent on the grey/purple screen. Im so frustrated! Does anyone know how to help? I don't want to have to call warranty, I don't even know if this replacement is still under warranty, since the warranty on replacements is less than a THIRD of the amount of time of my original phone!! smh....so unfair. I haven't damaged this phone in any kind of way, just like I didn't damage the first at all......

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
And you have never rooted the phone or tried to Root? Thats where the Tampered comes from. Do you have a windows 7 or lower PC

angela horner

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
No, I don't believe I've "rooted" or tried to....I'm not even sure what that is. I can get around on a computer well, but not to the extent where I'm messing around with anything THAT internal.....:/ The laptop Im on now is only a few months old, I went into settings to see what version of Windows is installed, and what I'm seeing is Windows Silverlight. I'm not seeing 8, 7, 6, etc ..there is a desktop computer downstairs that is older, and may be running 7 or less. I will look, if you believe this may help...I have my phone plugged in now, it is still on the Hboot screen...I'm not sure if I should be feeling positive that it hasn't completely died on me, or if this is still a really bad sign....I haven't dropped it, gotten it wet, or been really rough with it. Does this sound familiar to you, what I'm experiencing? Do you have any idea what may have caused it?

angela horner

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I will add, the only "updating" that goes on, is the updating that my phone automatically handles in regards to any applications. Some apps I manually update, and all my apps are the more typical ones, I don't download any odd or sketchy things.....

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
It appears that at&t gave you a refurbed phone that had been rooted and they had problems with it. If you want to give it a go we flash it had hope it works

angela horner

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Well....it wouldn't have been AT&T, it would've been HTC. I'm going to call customer support first and tell them what you suspect is going on. I want them to right the situation! Do you think its safe to attempt to "flash" it? If I ever do have to replace it, I don't want them to say that I've done something warranty doesn't cover. I can't afford a new phone full price lol....I read online that messing within a phone too much (internally) can make it so that a warranty is null and void......regardless, I am calling right now. I will get back on and let you know what they suggest or say as soon as I'm finished talking with them. Thanks for offering to help!:)

angela horner

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the phone with AT&T...you were right, my phone was replaced through them, not HTC. Thankfully its still under warranty. I'm on hold now, the AT&T guy and I are going to connect on the line with HTC to see if there's anything we can do to unlock it. My replacement device was not refurbished, so I've done something to cause it to become "tampered" although I have no idea what......will let you know more when I'm finished on the phone.

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
That's absurd.. You git a replacement phone from them. The phone is still hopefully within a year warranty for a free replacement. You got a replacement phone. One that was used and probably somebody tried to unlock and root. In the long run, now they had issues and decided to return it and now you got stuck with it. I had issues with 3 out of the 4 htc ones through AT&T. After the fourth one it's perfect and looks brand new. I was very nice to them and explained everything. I would not let them talk you into unlocking it and rooting. This voids warranty anyway. Since you are uncomfortable doing that. They should send you another replacement. Luckily the one I got had the original IMEI sticker with it, like it was new. Might have been. Let me know how it goes. Sorry for the trouble. It all depends on who you talk to and always be nice but firm.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
From what I understand, you see the "Tampered" notice when you unlock the bootloader on your device, and that's not something you can accidently do on a new HTC device. It's either a refurbished one (that someone unlocked the bootloader) or someone at the factory unlocked it when it was sent out new.

In any case, sounds like you have some bad luck and got another defective unit. I'm on my first HTC One which got about 9 months ago and it's working great. No reboot issues, slowness... nothing. So, I suggest you push AT&T to get you a new replacement.

Good luck!

bradleyem

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Whenever you have problems like that with your phone that you can't resolve, just call the carrier and ask for a replacement. If they don't want to give you a replacement, then complain and run it up the ladder. There is almost ALWAYS something that they can do if you ***** enough. Especially since your phone had already been replaced and there are known issues with those phones. But, DO NOT tell them about any tamper messages, unlocks, or anything of the like whether you have or have not done anything with the phone. That just gives them reason to deny your claim, which in your case seems unfounded. In reality, most carriers just send you a new phone, and as long as you send them the old phone, it doesn't matter anyway. Just make sure to remove your SD card and SIM card and factory reset it if possible before sending it in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk