HTC One: Black Screen

Kwelling

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
My screen is completely black. The keys at the very bottom light up but the screen remains black. I can recieve calls and answer them. It is fully charged. Tried turning off and on, but no change. Phone was in my pocket prior to the occurance. Hasn't been around water or moisture. Help please!

Last edited by a moderator:

hlevin268

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: HTC1 Black Screen

Try holding the power button down. After maybe 10 seconds, the Home and Back buttons will begin to flash. Don't release the power button until they stop flashing. That should reboot the phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Duke007down

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC1 Black Screen

Performing a factory reset using hardware buttons
If you can?t turn HTC*One on or access settings, you can still perform a factory reset by using the hardware buttons on HTC*One.

Important: The Fast boot option in Settings > Power must not be selected.

Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then press and hold the POWER button.
Wait for the screen with the three Android images to appear, and then release the POWER and VOLUME DOWN buttons.
Press VOLUME DOWN to select FACTORY RESET, and then press the POWER button.

Posted via Android Central App

Lorenzo Giovenali

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
No luck with that either.

I sent HTC one to service repair, and the problem came back!

I think we should investigate the issue.
For me, the first time this happened, was the night after I had updated the OS to Android 4.4.2 (Kitkat).
After a hard reset, the screen was coming back sometimes (randomly?), like after keeping it in my pocket for a while, or by itself. After some minutes/hours it would revert to black screen..

I found on the internet there could be a problem with a connector (like in HTC One X), but I didn't want to open and fix it by myself, since the phone is under warranty.
As I said, I sent the phone to HTC service (in Italy). The company in charge for the actual repairing wrote they did "electronic repair", HTC service said the company in charge did just a check and found nothing wrong.

After they "repaired" the phone (and I restored everything as it was using HTC sync manager), the problem has arisen the first time I left the phone uncharged (after 2 weeks, but I suspect it could be the day after). When I charged back and switch on, the screen was gone, once more -.-'

I am about to re-send the phone for repairing, but how can I restore my phone WITHOUT installing Android 4.4.2 then? Just to give it a try, it might be it.

If you have any similar experience please share.

I love this phone, but GOD, 700? for these problems AND this SERVICE??!

Diego Nosti Palacio

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I have the same experience. I update the phone and now it doesnt turn on. I get black screen and buttons flashing when i hold the power button.
Did you fix the issue?

Thank you

slavaboy

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys, have never tried to help anyone online, but when its come up to the problem the first place I look up for help is forums like this one.
Any ways had the same issue black screen buttons glowing, try to press down any combinations with power and volume buttons starts to flash, but still no results.
Solution: try to put it under bright light and then press the power button then choose restart.
Hope it helps.

Christina Adams

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi all! My HTC one screen has been black on and off for about 4 months now, and I FINALLY found a solution... I tried everything but a hard reset (thank goodness), up until last night, and I'm so happy I stumbled on this. Ok, when your screen is black, you can take a bright flashlight, and at just the right angle pointing at the screen, you can see the icons (I learned this few years back with my incredible that got wet). Go to the display settings and turn up the brightness, and it should come right back to life. I was going to try to save my stuff, but tinkered around first instead, and I'm so glad I did- This worked for me and I hope it helps someone else too! Now if I can only figure out how this happened... Good luck!

Last edited:

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi all! My HTC one screen has been black on and off for about 4 months now, and I FINALLY found a solution... I tried everything but a hard reset (thank goodness), up until last night, and I'm so happy I stumbled on this. Ok, when your screen is black, you can take a bright flashlight, and at just the right angle pointing at the screen, you can see the icons (I learned this few years back with my incredible that got wet). Go to the display settings and turn up the brightness, and it should come right back to life. I was going to try to save my stuff, but tinkered around first instead, and I'm so glad I did- This worked for me and I hope it helps someone else too! Now if I can only figure out how this happened... Good luck!

This is the solution. Shine a bright light on the sensor in the upper left part of the phone and the screen will come on. When it does do a restart. Your phone will now work, but this problem may return from time to time. The cause of the problem is a defective proximity sensor and it's fairly common among all makes of phones.

Jimbo3san

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
My HTC One M7 was having the same issue...black/blank screen but it was actually working. I ended up shining a bright flashlight as mentioned above at various angles and this allowed me to barely see what was on the screen. LCD panels are actually dark even when they are "on" until the backlight is turned on...hence the "dark" screen and the issue.

Once I was able to see the screen (just barely) I was able to see it enough to unlock it and adjust the brightness up to full. I had actually turned the brightness all the way down while I listened to music so I could save battery...Then when the phone turned off the screen (power save) it never turned back on.

I also have the issue where it won't come on in complete darkness...I have to have some light on the sensors in order for it to turn on. Kind of frustrating.

Best of luck.

Thanks,

Jim
Jimbo3san

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
These phones have bad proximity sensors and I've looked everywhere for a replacement sensor and can't find them. So now I just carry a keychain flashlight in my pocket for those random times when the screen goes dark.

petejua

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
First you have to shine light into the sensor at the top of the phone so the phone screen would come on then turn off auto brightness...do not pit it on the lowest...aparantly at the lowest settings tje phone is going black...worked for me

pfks

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
Shining a strong light on the sensor worked.
Not sure why the screen went off, (overnight), just so glad it came back on.

The_0nly_Taps

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi there!

I tried everything above and it usually works for me. But the phone isnt responding anymore! The buttons at the bottom wont even flash and the phone doesnt vibrate once ive held down the power and volume buttons?

Should i just give in and buy a new phone. My phones been dead a week now, and i keep seeing the same information online about resetting which i already knew and tried, but the problem is even when i shine a light on it, the phone is completely unresponsive to anything i do.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma