AT&T HTC One: Skipping KitKat update for now and here's why. Anyone else?

Savvyray

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I did the update on my wife's One to test it out and honestly I'm not all that impressed. I don't like that its mandatory for the battery icon to be white even though its not THAT big of a deal. I do however like that the stock HTC browser used to still support flash and now that is gone. Say what you will but a lot of places and websites still use flash and I used the stock browser as default because of that reason. Battery life seems a little worse on my wifes phone but I will wait a bit before I make my final judgment. All in all I guess to me, at least right now, I don't see where KK solves enough of my problems to warrant an upgrade.
Anyone else?

Last edited by a moderator:

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Skipping Kit Kat update for now and heres why. Anyone else?

So you let your wife be the guinea pig and try it first, huh? Good move!
Emoticons are gone, just show the generic symbols. Drove me to try Textra. Works ok.
I jumped in (although I previously said I'd wait) and got the upgrade b/c the other three major carriers did it ahead of AT&T, and I figured there were no major bugs reported from their One users.
I hadn't discovered the "no-lock" home screen on the previous version until very recently, and don't miss it that much. I had a beautiful wallpaper picture of my granddaughter on the screen, and didn't see it well with all the icons in front of her angelic face. Now with the mandatory locked screen, I see her every time I hit the power button.
Never paid attention to the color of the battery indicator as I use the percentage, a real number. Means a lot more to me than guessing how much that tiny, partially filled battery icon represents.
But I really like the new feature where the phone knows the mood of the caller and warns me if the caller is happy, sad, irate, or drunk before I answer. ;)
Happy so far with KK.

Savvyray

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I use GSAM battery percentage and not HTC's though I love that added feature. I actually think Samsung's blue looks the best but that will go away as well.
Im not sure why they got rid of the separate lock screen wallpaper, I thought that was a unique feature.

Oh Joseph

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site

Yes, after the update battery life went really bad although some have said that after a couple cycles of draining and recharging it will stabilize. In the mean time I downloaded easy battery saver which is doing the job. I fully charged the phone at 1900hr yesterday and is reading 71% now at 1452hr. And yes I have been using the phone regularly for calls, texting and web browsing.

DeathAngel74

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

I wasn't impressed either with the new update. I'm using frankenstein firmware.....4.20.707.6+radio and rcdata images from the at&T ota+dark hboot from GE firmwares. I just changed the android-info.txt to say 4.06.1540.3, so it matches my rom version. This is fine for me. Smooth and fast animations and better battery life+signal strength.

Here are some screenshots

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-26-11-20-57.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-02-26-11-20-57.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_2014-02-26-11-21-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-02-26-11-21-05.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_2014-02-26-10-16-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-02-26-10-16-28.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 50

nneptune

May 22, 2010
Visit site

Gotta admit, I'm not happy with this update at all. It almost seems like they went backward in some areas. Also, I despise the lock screen, so use an app called No Lock. I also agree that the all white battery charger is lame. How about a little color?..like it's been! Meh...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

John Griffin2

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

Yeah battery sucks now. In a few more cycles I will report if it has setteked out!

Posted via Android Central App

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

I'm inclined to sit this one out too. I don't see anything in it that I have to have, just things I would miss that have been taken away. The biggie though is battery life. My HTC One gets incredible battery life now. My wife updated her phone and battery life went down the toilet as did the battery life of my Nexus 7 when I updated. We've been through several cycles and battery life hasn't gotten better. Even a factory reset doesn't help. If you do a little research you find folks all over with various phones and tablets complaining about diminished battery life.

valdezpa09

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

One of the reasons I have updated and came from GE was that I can use both ISIS and Google Wallet out of the box now, without a ton of tweeking.

nneptune

May 22, 2010
Visit site

Every time I restart the phone, the Bluetooth turns off. I hate this update..

nneptune

May 22, 2010
Visit site

And as mentioned by others, the battery life has become horrid!

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site

Well I really like it. All the features everyone complained about - I either don't use, or I don't care about. I never look at the battery icon - I use %, and also a battery widget. My battery life is the same as before. Right now I have 10 hrs on it, and it is still at 83%. The thing I really like is being able to use the Google Now Launcher.

AshtonVibe

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

So I did notice a lot of battery draining changes on the new update. What I disabled: 1.) BROWSER BAR. 2.) BEATS MUSIC. 3.) ISIS WALLET. 4.) BLUETOOTH SHARE. 5.) DRIVE. Granted, some of these you all use, but these have been a brand new battery drain, that I lived fine without before. Also, the Music App (stock), take a larger toll too. Also, if you don't use the lock screen widgets, don't. A widget can do many neat and convenient things, and at the price of battery juice. Now you can add battery suckers everywhere, lol.

I DID notice Locations Services seems to use more of the battery also. Do I need every machine, on Gods green Earth, to muster up the most precise and glorious location of my HTC One? Of course not.

Side note. Yahoo! Mail, Vevo, and Facebook(but specifically FB Messenger App as the worst) hammers battery life a lot. Oh why can't we use an app, when we want to, and stop when we want to?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC