AT&T HTC One: KitKat breaks Car Dock mode invocation
Previously with Jelly Bean, I reported to HTC an bug where the Car Mode faded to black and locked. Sad. If powered, car mode should keep the screen lit. It always did on my Thunderbolt. I had to install the Wakey app to keep the screen lit and unlocked.
Now, with KitKat, HTC Sense has fully broken Car Mode, or at least invocation. Plugging into the HTC D160 no longer automatically invokes Car Mode. At all. I had to find an shortcut app to dig up the icon for it and put it on my home screen. At least with Jelly Bean I got Car Mode automatically and had enough time to invoke Wakey.
If you've never owned the Genuine HTC Car Dock D160 or similar, you may not realize what I'm talking about, but the charging cable has a special tweak to it that causes the phone to invoke the Car Mode launcher App. Well, it used to.
It is amazing to me, with all these Hands-Free laws passing in so many US states, how HTC first disrespects dock users with the over-priced, underengineered D160, then blows them off entirely by disabling the one feature that sets the D160 apart from all the generic phone holders.
Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-26-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Re: KitKat breaks Car Dock mode invocation
Well I called HTC, and clearing the cache fixed it.
Here's the procedure:
1. Power Off phone. Power on while holding Volume Down button.
2. Use Volume Down to choose Recover and then hold power button for a few seconds.
3. When phone gets to red triangle in battery logo, press Volume Up and Power.
4. When phone reaches menu, use Volume buttons to choose clear cache and then press Power
5. Phone clears cache.
6. Use Volume buttons to choose Reboot and press Power to reboot
I tested it briefly 3 times and now the dock consistently invokes Car Mode. Not sure if dimming/locking is fixed yet or not, I'll test that tonight.
- By Stefanakii in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 38Last Post: Yesterday, 09:28 PM
- By lonegreywolf20 in forum LG G2Replies: 9Last Post: 06-24-2014, 06:25 PM
- By jeno27 in forum LG G2Replies: 3Last Post: 03-26-2014, 03:25 PM
- By Lawro in forum Android 4.4 KitKatReplies: 2Last Post: 03-26-2014, 08:55 AM
- By GSOgymrat in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 3Last Post: 03-26-2014, 07:53 AM