1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default Gingerbread

Is ATT going to hold this update for months like they did for the Aria.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    Devices Past to Present
    • Blackberry Bold 9000
    • HTC Aria
    • Samsung Captivate
    • Google Nexus S
    • Moto Xoom

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    ROM
    LeeDroid

Default Re: Gingerbread

Quote Originally Posted by Jalarm View Post
    Is ATT going to hold this update for months like they did for the Aria.

I dont think so because this phone is one of the top of the line phones for att. they need to keep up with updates if they want to be in the android game. they added hsupa, unknown source update so they know android is important to them.

Quote Originally Posted by masareti View Post
    I dont think so because this phone is one of the top of the line phones for att. they need to keep up with updates if they want to be in the android game. they added hsupa, unknown source update so they know android is important to them.
    They announced, today that the original Desire will get update at the end of July. Let's hope the Inspire(Desire HD) gets it soon.

The guy I talk to that works for htc says the insires gingerbread is still in testing. Not due out yet till towards end of summer at best.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Stock

Cool thanks guys, I would root but rooting the inspire seems harder than say my old nexus s.

Devices Past to Present
    • Blackberry Bold 9000
    • HTC Aria
    • Samsung Captivate
    • Google Nexus S
    • Moto Xoom

Quote Originally Posted by Verdes8891 View Post
    The guy I talk to that works for htc says the insires gingerbread is still in testing. Not due out yet till towards end of summer at best.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
    wow i hope that's true, some gingerbread by fall would be awesome
    and i'm one that's still not comfortable with rooting so i'll probably be waiting for a bit.. :P

Rooting is easy. The fear is the worst part. It brings up a dos type window and you follow the steps one - two - three.
    Thor's Gal
    Rooted with Hack_kit HTC Inspire 4G
    LeeDrOiD
    Android 2.3.3 - RUU_Ace_Gingerbread_S_HTC_WWE_2.36.405.8
    Kernel - LeeDrOiD V3.1.6 - 2.6.35.13 Revised BFS

What are the benefits to rooting besides freezing the bloatware? Are you able to continue using htc widgets such as the clock/calender and sync your calender with your gmail account? I would like to root I'm just not sure its worth it and I'm afraid I'll brick my phone.

I wouldn't recommend rooting just to freeze or uninstall the AT&T apps. There are not that many of them and as you install more and more apps, they become less noticeable. Many people see some of the HTC apps and think they were placed on the phone by AT&T. While it may be safe to freeze some of these apps, with most it is not because they are part of the UI. The biggest benefit of rooting is being able to flash custom roms. For those that prefer to stay closer to stock, like myself, there is the option of flashing the stock rom. I am stock rooted. The benefits for me have been, apart from freezing the AT&T bloat, the ability to backup apps and data, the ability to take screenshots, the ability to change the system fonts, and the ability to write to system folders for other tweaks. Also, rooting the phone sim unlocks the phone.

I like sense so I use leedroid. That has all the htch widgets and stuff you talked about. From what I read it is very hard to brick the phone.
    Thor's Gal
    Rooted with Hack_kit HTC Inspire 4G
    LeeDrOiD
    Android 2.3.3 - RUU_Ace_Gingerbread_S_HTC_WWE_2.36.405.8
    Kernel - LeeDrOiD V3.1.6 - 2.6.35.13 Revised BFS

Quote Originally Posted by dylan808 View Post
    wow i hope that's true, some gingerbread by fall would be awesome
    and i'm one that's still not comfortable with rooting so i'll probably be waiting for a bit.. :P
    Just be careful of waiting until Gingerbread is already on your phone before you decide to root. The current ways of rooting the phone will not work once the stock gingerbread rom is on the phone. Then you will be facing the unknown. How long will it take for the devs to find root and how much more difficult might it be? I went ahead and rooted now and flashed the stock froyo rom. When the gingerbread rom comes out, I will flash one from xda and still be rooted.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    Stock

Do you think with the gingerbread update we will get the new sense lock screen?

Devices Past to Present
    • Blackberry Bold 9000
    • HTC Aria
    • Samsung Captivate
    • Google Nexus S
    • Moto Xoom

Once the phone is rooted would I be able to restore all of my settings and applications with my back up pro? Also is there a way to root using a mac, I can't seem to find a simple one?
    Last edited by mrbro0ks; 07-09-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalarm View Post
    Do you think with the gingerbread update we will get the new sense lock screen?

HTC has previously stated that the Inspire will not support Sense 3.0, but did acknowledge that it was working on providing some of the features. It is unclear which ones and if they would be part of the update or future add ons. So, the possibility exists but it is unconfirmed if the lock screen is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbro0ks View Post
    Once the phone is rooted would I be able to restore all of my settings and applications with my back up pro? Also is there a way to root using a mac, I can't seem to find a simple one?
    You should be able to restore, although there is no guarantee of that. Compatiblity of going from one rom to another will be a factor. There are only two methods of rooting, the simple one click and the ace hack kit. I know the ace hack kit will work for mac. Niether method is a true one click method, but both will work as long as you follow instructions precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandezhjr View Post
    HTC has previously stated that the Inspire will not support Sense 3.0, but did acknowledge that it was working on providing some of the features. It is unclear which ones and if they would be part of the update or future add ons. So, the possibility exists but it is unconfirmed if the lock screen is one of them.

Didn't realize that when I rooted and flashed a gingerbread plus sense 3.0 rom. Explains something, though. I noticed some lagging after I did it. I just downloaded an app to let me overclock to 1.2 and all is well again.
    I like being angry. It makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by RaverReturns View Post
    Didn't realize that when I rooted and flashed a gingerbread plus sense 3.0 rom. Explains something, though. I noticed some lagging after I did it. I just downloaded an app to let me overclock to 1.2 and all is well again.
    You are actually running a Desire HD rom. I'm not sure if the Desire HD Gingerbread roms are released with some of the Sense 3.0 features as part of the rom or if the chefs are baking them in and if included, which features are and which are baked in. The stock Telus Gingerbread rom for the Canadian market has been posted over at xda, but enough hasn't been posted about it to determine if it includes some Sense 3.0 loving. Since I have not been flashing custom roms, I can't say much about them, but yes, if you root, you can have Gingerbread along with some Sense 3.0 to boot.

Last edited by fernandezhjr; 07-10-2011 at 05:02 PM.

I'm a nub so I might sound stupid. Where can I get a gingerbread ROM? Is there more than one?

Best place I know is the xda developers forum. Google it and then go to the Inspire forum > developement subforum. There are several to choose from. You must be rooted to install.

I run the stock 2.36 Desire HD ROM as flashed with the RUU after using the XDA one-click s-off tool. I easily rooted it with Ginger Break, and used More Locale 2 to get the US as a location (the Euro ROM does not have US English as an option during setup). I flashed the newest 2.50 version but it was un-rootable using Ginger Break, so I'm back to 2.36. Keep in mind, 2.36 has a WiFi issue.

Also keep in mind that you need to apply a sound fix if you flash a DHD ROM or you will have tinny audio. I just unzipped the package and used the files to replace the ones already in root using Root Explorer. Search XDA for it.

My bad. I have corrected my above post. The rom I was referring to is the Canadian Telus rom. However, no modded roms have been released as of yet. I'm still trying to hold out for the Inspire US based rom for stability, specifically to avoid radio and gps issues.

I'm in the process of rooting my phone right now. I would like to stay as close stock as possible as I like the sense look. I saw a recommendation of leedroid, I looked over the site and have absolutely no clue what I am looking at. Also I saw people mention that had a problem with voice and radio issues, how would I avoid this?