1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Swiftkey vs Swype reviews? Swiftkey free at amazon 7/21

I'm pretty happy with swype, but does anyone use/prefer Swiftkey X?

Both my wife and my boss don't care for swype. (I'm actually referring to two different people here)
    Anyone like swiftkey better than swype? Should I recommend it to non-swype users?

For those of you don't already know, swiftkey does not use a swipe action like swype, just fancier predictive algorithms--you still have to peck the keys.
    Mr. Ro.

Global Posts
    2,224 Global Posts
    ROM
    TouchWizJB leak

Default Re: Swiftkey vs Swype reviews? Swiftkey free at amazon 7/21

Since I started using Swype, I can't go back to the old keyboards. Pushing one key at a time drives me crazy now and is too slow.

I bought SwiftKey almost a year ago, when they first launched. I am very happy with it, and received a free upgrade to the new version for my phone. I also have a tablet, but I bought ThumbKeyboard for it.

Another keyboard I got free from Amazon through the free app of the day is FlexT9. It has swype functions and a bunch of other input methods. It's probably too bad I haven't spent more time messing around with it, as I may not have purchased ThumbKeyboard. Anyway, it was free, it works good, but I haven't fully explored it.

One thing I've found with the Amazon free apps...just get them if you have any interest in them at all. After you 'purchase' and it completes the download you can cancel. It will always be available for install later, even updates.

Good Luck,

Bob

I LOVE Swiftkey X. i've had it since the beta. it's a very efficient keyboard and now that it can learn how you type from your SMS messages, Email, and Twitter/Facebook. i tend to type very rapidly so i rely on the auto correct alot.
    when it came out of beta, i immediately purchased it when they told me. if i knew it was gonna be free on Amazon i would've waited... but i did get it for 1.99 instead of 3.99.

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

LOVE swiftkey. I can't imagine not having it.

I'd use it but there's no billigual option like on the default key board. I do like it except for that.

Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

I love SwiftKey. I was going to complain that the arrow keys were not on the main screen, but then I saw I could customize it to show them. One of the best free apps I've gotten from Amazon.

Global Posts
    461 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by repligator View Post
    Both my wife and my boss don't care for swype. (I'm actually referring to two different people here)
    That almost made me spit my coffee across my keyboard. Funny stuff.

On topic however.....I love Swype. Every now and then I try to go back to SwiftKey, but I end up dragging my finger across the keyboard. It doesn't respond well to that.

Can anyone tell me how to get swype on my phone? ATT does not allow nonmarket apps. In another forum someone mentioned a sideloader, but I have no idea what that is nor where to get one

First of all Helloooo android central! this is my FIRST post! I am very glad to join this community, I've literally gone through each one of the sister sites and every phone imaginable (including the phone that shall not be named o_O cough iphone) so I'm a part of tipb as well =P... anyway...

Swype, the first time I had it was the first Galaxy S phone, initially I honestly though it sucked.... I felt the screen was was way to big to be swping my finger around, it was a pain... However, the moment I got a hold of it i found it incredible. The only complain I don have is that there is no separation between the keys, I feel like my fingers are too fat for it. On the inspire is probably batter, having more screen real estate and all, regardless, swype is an amazing keyboard. Perhaps not for everyone, but a very good keyword.

I had switfkey in my nexus, tried it out... but honestly found it buggier than swype, so my vote is on swype!

Quote Originally Posted by jhatzis99 View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to get swype on my phone? ATT does not allow nonmarket apps. In another forum someone mentioned a sideloader, but I have no idea what that is nor where to get one
    You're going to have to root it first!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by lauredubois View Post
    You're going to have to root it first!
    No, rooting is not required to load swype. Loading swype will require that you check the unknown sources box under the applications menu.

The new gingerbread update makes that option available.

You must go to the beta.swype.com website and register to download the swype-installer. Run the installer on your phone and it will load the application. Remember your registration login email and pass, you will need to login during installation.

No, rooting is not required to load swype. Loading swype will require that you check the unknown sources box under the applications menu.

The new gingerbread update makes that option available.

You must go to the beta.swype.com website and register to download the swype-installer. Run the installer on your phone and it will load the application. Remember your registration login email and pass, you will need to login during installation.
    So I did this. Went to "language & keyboard". Selected swype. But its not working. Whats the trick? Already restarted.

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSPx

Quote Originally Posted by timeatwork View Post
    So I did this. Went to "language & keyboard". Selected swype. But its not working. Whats the trick? Already restarted.
    To get Swype to work (after you have a beta account), is you run the beta installer. Then you login, and then you click generate license. Finally you enable swype. All this is done in the installer not the phone settings. The installer has directions on it as well.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by timeatwork View Post
    Can you see the swype keyboard but it is just not registering the swype movements in the text screen?
    if so, then make sure you have installer version 1.5 and beta version 3.6.84. installed. Try running the installer again.

Worst case scenario is to try uninstalling and then rerun the installer. It should prompt you to login and create a license.

If you cannot even see the swype keyboard, tap and hold in your text window until "input method" prompt appears. Select swype and see if that works.

I installed Swype and it first it came out and I used it and now even though its checked it doesnt come out thats weird....

Can you see the swype keyboard but it is just not registering the swype movements in the text screen?
    if so, then make sure you have installer version 1.5 and beta version 3.6.84. installed. Try running the installer again.

Worst case scenario is to try uninstalling and then rerun the installer. It should prompt you to login and create a license.

If you cannot even see the swype keyboard, tap and hold in your text window until "input method" prompt appears. Select swype and see if that works.
    This fixed mine. Thanks

I have had a very hard time without a physical keyboard. And although I love my Inspire, I miss having one. SwiftKey has made typing on a touch screen the easiest for me, thus far. I was going to give the other a try a few months back, but read some bug issues, so decided against it.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by Xsie View Post
    I have had a very hard time without a physical keyboard. And although I love my Inspire, I miss having one. SwiftKey has made typing on a touch screen the easiest for me, thus far. I was going to give the other a try a few months back, but read some bug issues, so decided against it.
    If you miss your keyboard, then I highly recommend swype. It is not unlike typing--using a single Finger to transfer what your brain already knows about the keyboard. (No, not that finger)