Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Default Re: Official ATT Inspire 4G Gingerbread RUU

Question: did anyone try this on a phone that had MMS not working due to the 3rd party app workaround, and does it work after the update?

I guess the real question is, do I need to restore to factory settings (to reenable MMS) before applying this update? Thanks.

No. The RUU will wipe the device. Nothing else is needed.

Ah, good- thanks. I'll just have to back it up, and I'll give it a go. Hopefully restoring the apps/contacts/etc. after updating will be as painless as it was when I had an iphone. I just have to look up how to do this seeing as how I've done nothing outside of the occasional sync with HTC's sync software. I have apps from multiple markets which could complicate things though. Hmm.

Anything from Google will auto sync once you login... Stuff from other places I don't know about...

Come to think of it, I have exactly one app installed not from Amazon or Android marketplaces, and both those stores should be able to restore the apps upon login (I installed the free version of "Cut the Rope" from Getjar in case you're wondering). All other data should be backed up to the cloud since "backup my settings" is checked. I wonder if it matters that several apps were offloaded to the SD card? Well, the worst that can happen I think is having copies of the apps in two locations- I don't think I have the space in internal memory to move them all back before upgrading.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Installed today. Running smoothly so far. The only problem so far, is that I am not able to log on to my HTC sense account. Any one else.having this problem?

Don't use that service. The only issue I am having is callerID recognition with my contacts. It is very slow.

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSPx

You could use MyBackup (free version is the Pro for 30 days) to save your settings before using this update.
    https://market.android.com/details?i...from_developer

Quote Originally Posted by Atomicpunk View Post
    Installed today. Running smoothly so far. The only problem so far, is that I am not able to log on to my HTC sense account. Any one else.having this problem?
    Tried mine, shows where I am at and everything. I am finding out a battery pull goes a long way with Gingerbread. I have done it a couple of times so far and that helped with a couple of apps.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patrick533 View Post
    Tried mine, shows where I am at and everything. I am finding out a battery pull goes a long way with Gingerbread. I have done it a couple of times so far and that helped with a couple of apps.
    Do I need to pull the battery while the phone is on, or should I power down first?

Quote Originally Posted by Atomicpunk View Post
    Do I need to pull the battery while the phone is on, or should I power down first?
    I just pulled mine out while it was on and waited 30-40 seconds and put it back in and pushed the power button to turn it back on, it booted and is working fine. Seems to work better then just a power down for some problems.

I really don't know if it makes a difference if you turn it off first or not. So far I have not turned mine off before pulling the battery.

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSPx

FYI, the HTC Wifi update button should work so using that update method should not wipe your data like using the file in the first post.

FYI, the official RUU download from HTC is available on the Inspire HTC page. http://www.htc.com/us/support/inspire-att/downloads/
    Thanked by:

On unlocked Inspire? I am an Android newbie who just ordered an unlocked Inspire 4G that I plan to use with ldpost.com (resold AT&T voice minutes) + wifi. Since I will not be an AT&T customer (though still indirectly using their network) will this upgrade work?

Second, I had just minutes ago purchased an "Inspire Root Upgrade Service from On The Go Solutions (Buy HTC Inspire Root Upgrade Service - On The Go Solutions). This service roots the Inspire, removes AT&T bloatware & market restrictions, and upgrades to the "Pure HTC Euro ROM for Desire HD" and Gingerbread. For this service they want $100. (I probably can still cancel the order.) Compared to the Gingerbread upgrade listed here, the On The Go offers rooting and removal of AT&T bloatware/ 3rd party, but I am wondering if that is worth $100. Any comments?

you can root the dev yourself for free and remove all the bloatware yourself again with free apps...

So is the manual update via HTC Sync the same as the OTA, just not automatic?

Does anyone know any other tricks to get this to push down to the device. I have clicked "HTC Wifi Software Update" a dozen time and rebooted... Still no update. I'm in Dallas, TX if that matters. Thanks.

Just download and run the RUU...

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

I see that the official over the air update came out today (I was impatient, and installed the leaked RUU). My question to the Android Gurus out there....................Is the leaked RUU the same update as the official one that came out today, or do I need to go to the HTC website and re install the update? Im an Android newbie (converted from Blackberry). Thanks.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

Angry Birds no longer freezes....YES! So far so good. True test will be the battery for me. Anyword on Netflix?

the leak and the official are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick533 View Post
    I just pulled mine out while it was on and waited 30-40 seconds and put it back in and pushed the power button to turn it back on, it booted and is working fine. Seems to work better then just a power down for some problems.

I really don't know if it makes a difference if you turn it off first or not. So far I have not turned mine off before pulling the battery.
    The reason why the battery pull worked better is because you have FASTBOOT turned on. When I first got my Inspire that's the first thing I turned OFF. Turn it off and then turn the phone off, that will clear things from memory.

See how FastBoot works, is it keeps certain things in memory even when you turn the phone off, so it will boot faster when the phone is turned back on. The problem is, if you are having a problem and turn the phone off and back on, the issue you were having might still be in memory and not cleared.

I've solved some customer's problems by turning off fast boot. For example, I had a guy who's bluetooth was acting flaky and kept thinking a headset was connected even when not. He tried turning off and back on and still had issues. I turned off Fastboot and then turned it off and back on. Everything worked fine after that cause whatever was in memory causing the issue was cleared out.

Quote Originally Posted by keith2k1 View Post
    Angry Birds no longer freezes....YES! So far so good. True test will be the battery for me. Anyword on Netflix?
    Netflix works.

Woke up this morning had the update available via WIFI OTA. Took about 10 minutes and I see no negative impacts so far.

I installed it and my Inspire run slower, like it stop the processor
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast