WiFi after Gingerbread

Kalebb2010

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Anyone notice a difference in WiFi signal after the update? Seems better for me. Also, battery life seems worse now :/ didn't think it was possible to get worse than it was on froyo lol

brad_wp

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
My Wi-Fi signal seems weaker, in some places I got all bars, I get one less now.

I just got the update this morning and had to leave for work, so I haven't played with it too much. Are you noticing an actual weaker signal (drop-outs, slower connection speed, etc)? Or are you just noticing that the signal indicator shows less bars?

Remember, the signal indicators for everything are arbitrary. There is no Mobile standard that says -50 dB is always 4 bars and -105 dB is 1 bar. These can be different from manufacturer to manufacturer, phone model to phone model. Now that you've updated there's not a good way to check this, but if you know someone that has an Inspire that hasn't updated invite them over and both of you go to the Testing Screen (Dial *#*#4636#*#* from the Phone Screen) and select Wi-Fi status to actually look at your signal strength in dB (It's the RSSI: line). If you're showing relatively similar numerical signal strength, then HTC just re-adjusted the Indicator thresholds. If not then the update may have jacked with the Wi-Fi radio.

Also a quick thing you can check is make sure you didn't click off the "Best Wi-Fi performance" option under your advanced Wi-Fi settings.

gregski

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I am seeing less bars, but stays connected better. Does that make sense? My battery life seems to have suffered too. I am losing about 10%/hr where as I was losing 5-7%/hour with Froyo. Gotta get the battery life thing taken care of. There are times when I am away from ANY charging source for extended periods of time, and those times are not very predictable.

digirati99

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I updated yesterday and my wifi signal and my network signal both appear to be stronger - as indicated by more bars..haven't seen much improvement however in my battery, but then again I do have a lot going on with Twitter, Facebook, Score Mobile, etc

coxley24

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping for a stronger wifi signal, actually any signal for that matter. I couldn't get a wi-fi signal on Froyo and still can't with Gingerbread. My iPhone 3G can pick up anything where my Inspire can't. Anyone else have issues like mine? I've tried everything :'(

Kalebb2010

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping for a stronger wifi signal, actually any signal for that matter. I couldn't get a wi-fi signal on Froyo and still can't with Gingerbread. My iPhone 3G can pick up anything where my Inspire can't. Anyone else have issues like mine? I've tried everything :'(

My iPhone is much stronger at picking up WiFi signals.

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
battery life will get better after a few days. the OS and radio load are settling in plus you are tinkering around. As soon as the device settles and you return to your normal habits, things will get better. Make sure you delete the extra weather stations and clocks...

You can also run a free app called Network Info II. It will show you the WiFi RSSI...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz