Battery life after update

JoshuaExline

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Some people say it's better, some say it's worse. Well I'm here to tell you, in my experience, it's absolutely WORSE (which I didn't think was possible)

Example; Just now I was out of my office having a smoke. When I picked up my phone (taking it off the charger) on my way out the door I was at 79% battery. In the time I was outside (less than 5 minutes...closer to about 3 minutes really) my battery was down to 76% (and all I did was check my facebook messages)

I have already done the "pull the battery for 30 seconds" suggestion someone had in one of the other threads (I did that a few hours ago) and I'm seeing zero improvement. I even uninstalled Widget Locker (which I'd noticed was putting a serious hurting on my battery since I started using it over the weekend) and, if anything, it's gotten worse.

Any ideas on if this is just indicative of the update hurting performance or if I'm just running a crappy battery (I'm running an aftermarket...wondering if I should go back to stock HTC to see if that improves performance in conjunction with the update)

Shamanic Enzan

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Funny, the first day I had the GB update my phone went for 24 hours unplugged without even hitting yellow.

Right now it's 5h 37m 41s on battery, made a quick phone call and texted a lot.

87 percent.

rp014789

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Check your sync settings I think the update set them all back to the default settings. My phone definitely got worse. I will give it a few days to see if the sync settings was it.

tweake23

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I found it to be like my old intercept after flashing a new Rom . Needed to run it down to dead then full charge. Reset the sync settings and its a bit better then it was

Tigger76

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not seeing much of a difference in battery life while running applications or using the phone, but I see a huge difference (much improved) when it's on standby. I was having to re-charge twice a day before the update, and now I'm getting more than 24 hours between charges.

One thing I'll note, I used the OTA update and I did not do a factory reset or anything of the such.

danlib21

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I found it to be like my old intercept after flashing a new Rom . Needed to run it down to dead then full charge. Reset the sync settings and its a bit better then it was

I also ran mine down to dead and recharged it and same thing, mine is way better than it was.

lnx1138

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not seeing much of a difference in battery life while running applications or using the phone, but I see a huge difference (much improved) when it's on standby. I was having to re-charge twice a day before the update, and now I'm getting more than 24 hours between charges.

One thing I'll note, I used the OTA update and I did not do a factory reset or anything of the such.

Same experience for me

tylerj67

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
i did the manual update a day before the OTA update was pushed out and it reset my phone entirely and ive been having the best battery life, never gotten down to yellow and it lasts more than 15 hours with a lot of use throughout the day.

JoshuaExline

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Still inconclusive on battery life with stock battery (someone asked earlier; my back up was 1500mah I believe), it seems to be a little better...but I can't say with certainty yet.

One thing I'm noticing though is the bulk (at least 50%, mostly more...closer to 65%) of my battery useage is directly tied to the display. I keep messing with different settings to find a happy medium, but the dimmer screen is no bueno when I'm outside during the day...so I don't know if I'm going to find a setting on that which will suit me all around needs.

Luckily I'm to the point where I keep a charger in the car, a usb cable in my messenger bag for the office and 2 chargers in strategic places at the house. I guess the real test will be the first time I have to be in a situation where I have no charging options for an extended period and see how it does.

Lukedog17

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Still inconclusive on battery life with stock battery (someone asked earlier; my back up was 1500mah I believe), it seems to be a little better...but I can't say with certainty yet.

One thing I'm noticing though is the bulk (at least 50%, mostly more...closer to 65%) of my battery useage is directly tied to the display. I keep messing with different settings to find a happy medium, but the dimmer screen is no bueno when I'm outside during the day...so I don't know if I'm going to find a setting on that which will suit me all around needs.

Luckily I'm to the point where I keep a charger in the car, a usb cable in my messenger bag for the office and 2 chargers in strategic places at the house. I guess the real test will be the first time I have to be in a situation where I have no charging options for an extended period and see how it does.
I had my phone off and charging overnight to full battery this morning. I am now @ 51 %. That is with moderate internet, facebook, texting and 1 phonecall. Not horrible but I think it is a bit worse. Yesterday same situation and my phone was completely dead at 8:00 pm, so I got right around 12 hr of use out of the battery. My display sucks up 70 % and that is with it cranked down to 1/3rd brightness. Right now I only have one charger so I guess I will ahve to carry it around until I get a second and third....
How's everyone else's? Anything work for extendeing the batt life for anyone else after update?

brad_wp

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I've been off the charger since 5 am central this morning (12 hrs ago). Only had it plugged in for about 20 minutes while I was at my desk for lunch, and I accidentally left wifi on for about 6 hours (not connected to a network). My phone was off for about 2 hours *while* I was flying, and most of my day is spent hovering between 2 bars and no signal H+.
Currently at 45 percent.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

JoshuaExline

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
According to the battery useage breakdown on the phone since I got up this morning (5 hours 9 minutes and counting off charger)

68% display
11% voice calls
4% wi-fi
4% dialer
4% android system
3% cell standbye
2% phone idle
2% foursquare.

couple misc points to consider;
I have been in my office the bulk of the morning where at BEST I get 2 bars of H+...but mostly stay on 1 bar or rotating across the spectrum intermittently (without ever actually going to 3G I think)

Wi-Fi (even though office wi-fi is down) & GPS is turned on (I leave both on as a default since I use them both greatly during the day - GPS mostly for Foursquare)

What's funny about that is I ran Google Music on the phone for about 30 minutes this morning, and I've been texting quite a bit AND reading Twitter (Tweetcaster Pro) randomly and those don't even show up in the breakdown.

Not sure what to make of it...but I'm pretty sure this is what I'd tend to call the opposite of improved.

sdatish

May 31, 2011
Visit site
How do you get these stats on battery usage? Thanks.

According to the battery useage breakdown on the phone since I got up this morning (5 hours 9 minutes and counting off charger)

68% display
11% voice calls
4% wi-fi
4% dialer
4% android system
3% cell standbye
2% phone idle
2% foursquare.

couple misc points to consider;
I have been in my office the bulk of the morning where at BEST I get 2 bars of H+...but mostly stay on 1 bar or rotating across the spectrum intermittently (without ever actually going to 3G I think)

Wi-Fi (even though office wi-fi is down) & GPS is turned on (I leave both on as a default since I use them both greatly during the day - GPS mostly for Foursquare)

What's funny about that is I ran Google Music on the phone for about 30 minutes this morning, and I've been texting quite a bit AND reading Twitter (Tweetcaster Pro) randomly and those don't even show up in the breakdown.

Not sure what to make of it...but I'm pretty sure this is what I'd tend to call the opposite of improved.