1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question The Upgrade for the Inspire

I am curious, as I read I am on the fence as whether to let my phone upgrade to the latest or not?

Like, what does the upgrade do? I run a seperate APN so I can use tether. Does this go away and not be allowed anymore by the moguls???

Is the error and force closing issue resolved to only a few phones or is wide spread?

These are things that inquiring minds would like to know.

Default Re: The Upgrade for the Inspire

Your ability to tether will absolutely go away. So if that's something you want to be able to do, do not upgrade. I'm not sure what specifically the "error and force closing issue" pertains to so hard to say if the update will resolve that for you.

Read through some of the threads already open on this forum. A lot of people have run across a variety of issues since they upgraded. Some say their battery life has dropped. Some say it's improved greatly. Some say their GPS is slow to lock, others have had no problems. The most common issues seems to be with the Messaging app not resolving contact names. But there are ways to work around that. And other than the ability to install apps from unknown sources, I haven't really seen anything significant that was added with the update.
    Thanked by:

Its a crap shoot,tethering will be gone as they are cracking down on it without paying extra for it....Many are having many issues...Personally avoid this one and wait till they fix this mess...

WC
    Thanked by:

I agree with Wild Child; wait until you hear that the upgrade was fixed. The version that it came with is still very good as is.
    Thanked by:

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by bentnail View Post
    I am curious, as I read I am on the fence as whether to let my phone upgrade to the latest or not?

Like, what does the upgrade do? I run a seperate APN so I can use tether. Does this go away and not be allowed anymore by the moguls???

Is the error and force closing issue resolved to only a few phones or is wide spread?

These are things that inquiring minds would like to know.

Hi, I updated mine and I am still able to tether.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

See I am still on the unlimited data plan.....I have not ever changed the contract other than they updated codes for me. SO i have this thing about I have unlimited data, then i shouldnt be charged extra to tether my phone when i need to for work. in my eyes i am not tethering illegally, most likely the moguls at at&t would say different to me since they want to rape everyone for every friggin dollar that they can get out of you. I did have to create a different APN so I could tether like I had on my old Tilt2 phone.

I figured as much on the upgrade, I will keep mine from wifi, I know that it is waiting for me on wifi connection so until I read better....I will stay my version that I have now.

Thank you for input....great site and ideas and news too....I am tickled to have made that leap of faith into ANDROID world.....

Bentnail

I only upgraded to be able to install Non-Market Apps. I got that but at times I wish I had not upgraded. Until I got into this thread, I thought I was the only one who was experienced more "fore closes" than any other time before. I would wait if I were you.