Problems with touchscreen, top left corner

lukeyoda928

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey,
Not sure if anyone else has had this problem yet, but I seem to have a problem where the left corner of my touch screen doesn't recognize any touch input. It's pretty much a quarter inch x 1.5 inch rectangle, where no input is detected.

I used a drawing app, KidDoodle, I think, to check if its just certain apps, or the screen itself, and theres a clear rectangle where all touch input is being "shifted", or diverted, away. essentially, it's not being recognized in that rectangle.

I've never dropped my phone, had a screen protector and case, and taken care of it as though its a baby. Would it be a good idea to contact at&t customer service about this problem? Would something like this be covered under warranty?
Thanks!

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Silly question, but have you tried rebooting? You didn't say, so I have to ask. It should definitely be covered if it is indeed a hardware problem, especially if the physical condition of the phone is as pristine as you describe.

lukeyoda928

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I've tried rebooting - maybe it's excessive, but I reboot at least once a day...

It seems as though the "dead" area is expanding...initially it was just about half an inch, but it seems to be growing.

One last question. I'm in India until December, and don't know if my phone will last till then :p Would it be a good idea to contact AT&T's India office, and see what they could do?
I don't want them to give me the inferior Desire HD in exchange for this awesomeness.:D

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
They probably wouldn't have an Inspire, since it's a US phone. If you called AT&T customer service and explained your situation, they may ship you one out and have you ship the bad one back once you receive it. Worth a try.

84guy

May 25, 2010
Visit site
try doing a battery pull(leave it out for 30 seconds to 1 min) if that doesnt work maybe try a hard reset(youll get it replaced anyways if that doesnt work) but if those don't work it sounds defective

Last edited:

lukeyoda928

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. I contacted AT&T yesterday, and they walked me through a hard reset. That didn't fix anything, so I guess it's a defective screen. They agreed that it needed to be fixed, but since I'm out in India, they won't be able to ship it out here. Guess I have to wait until mid-December to replace it.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. Appreciate it a lot.

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem. I went into Safe Mode and the problem went away. It must be some 3rd party app. I'm still trying to troubleshoot this.

Todd

Posted via the Android Central App

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Do you have the Facebook Messenger app installed in your phone? If so, disable it temporarily and see if the problem persists. Some members have reported a similar issue and this fixed the problem.

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
No, safe mode disables all 3rd party apps. I just tried it to try and rule out 3rd party apps and it was confirmed. I'm going to try what Javier P suggested.

digital312

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Thank you! I too was having problems with the top left corner of my g4 not responding to touch. Uninstalled facebook messenger and problem went away. Reinstalled facebook messenger only this time disabled chat heads in the messenger settings and problem has not come back, might have something to do with the chatheads feature?

Last edited:

Elizabeth Palmer

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Thank you! I too was having problems with the top left corner of my g4 not responding to touch. Uninstalled facebook messenger and problem went away. Reinstalled facebook messenger only this time disabled chat heads in the messenger settings and problem has not come back, might have something to do with the chatheads feature?

pattyscott

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Hey,
Not sure if anyone else has had this problem yet, but I seem to have a problem where the left corner of my touch screen doesn't recognize any touch input. It's pretty much a quarter inch x 1.5 inch rectangle, where no input is detected.

I used a drawing app, KidDoodle, I think, to check if its just certain apps, or the screen itself, and theres a clear rectangle where all touch input is being "shifted", or diverted, away. essentially, it's not being recognized in that rectangle.

I've never dropped my phone, had a screen protector and case, and taken care of it as though its a baby. Would it be a good idea to contact at&t customer service about this problem? Would something like this be covered under warranty?
Thanks!

Oryahn

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I have been thinking my screen was ruined because of this exact problem. I didn't unintelligible Facebook Messenger. I just disabled chat heads in the options and that portion of my screen is working with touch again. Glad I stumbled across this post. Thanks a million.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I have been thinking my screen was ruined because of this exact problem. I didn't unintelligible Facebook Messenger. I just disabled chat heads in the options and that portion of my screen is working with touch again. Glad I stumbled across this post. Thanks a million.

Glad it helped and welcome to the forums!

Oryahn

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I didn't have to delete Facebook Messenger. I just disabled chat heads in the settings and checked the screen. All is working fine now.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I didn't have to delete Facebook Messenger. I just disabled chat heads in the settings and checked the screen. All is working fine now.

Yeah, for some people just disabling the chat heads fixed the problem. Some others got the same problem back after sometime and they needed to disable the app. Tell us how it goes for you.

LENOVO_Y50-70

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem too. the touch in very left corner in my J5 samsung smartphone hung up sometimes . i found out the cause it is messenger app . when u uninstall it the problem fixed directly . u have to wait for next update or u may restart the phone . if u find any other solutions just tell me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv