Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Question Messaging: Phone number, not name - How do I change this?

How do I change my messaging so it shows contact names instead of their number when I get messages?
    Running stock GB 2.3.3

Thanks
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Messaging: Phone number, not name - How do I change this?

I guess there is no fix, per AT&T Tech Support
    They told me they've had lots of complaints but HTC has not given them an ETA when a fix will be available, and to go get a 3rd party messaging app until then.

ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

Yeah, HTC really screwed us on this one. I've contacted them twice. The first time (early September) they said they were aware of it and a fix was being worked on. The second time (early October) they said they knew of no such fix.

Anyway, I've been using Handcent. I actually like it much better than the stock app. Even if they fixed the problem I would still use it.
    Thanked by:

Do a search. I posted a workaround long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by shansmi View Post
    Do a search. I posted a workaround long ago.
    There is a difference between a fix and a work around. Not everyone wants to have to install a third party app as a fix. Personally, I don't care for those third party apps myself. It is not asking to much to expect HTC to provide a fix, considering it is their software flaw. Unfortunately, it seems that HTC doesn't care, since it has been over two months since release.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I ended up downloading Go SMS Pro,as a workaround, so far so good although as already mentioned I shouldn't have to do this.
    My guess is that HTC nor AT&T care as the Inspire is "old news" with all of the new phones coming to market.

ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

Quote Originally Posted by pounder001 View Post
    My guess is that HTC nor AT&T care as the Inspire is "old news" with all of the new phones coming to market.
    That is why I finally rooted today. Now I just have to decide which ROM to use

ROM
    Android Revoluution HD6.1

I had that problem when updated OTA gingerbread, Got handcent no problems after that, it works great. Also got quikpic for disappearing pics. Or root and a flash custom rom. I now have 2.3.5 running 3.0 sense with no problems of anything missing or disappearing If you don't want to root get handcent.