Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brad_wp
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default GPS - showing wrong location

I have a HTC Inspire 4G - Out of nowhere today, my phone GPS was showing me in San Diego; probelm is I llive in Indiana.
    I first thought it was my weather widget having an issue. But I dug deeper and all my apps (facebook, maps, naviagation, etc.) that use GPS are indicating me to be in San Diego.

Las night, I downloaded the Amazon Store app and 3 games from Amazon. Worked fine until this morning, when I noticed my time was 3 hours behind and I was viewing the temp for San Diego.

Any thoughts on cause and resolutuion?
    Thanked by:

Default Re: GPS - showing wrong location

Is it your GPS that is actually off, or just the cell network location?

My guess is that it's a cell tower problem. Try going outside and opening Google Maps, and wait for an actual GPS lock. This might take way longer than usual because your phone is getting aGPS data for the west coast, so it might take a little longer to pick up enough satelites.

If it's actually a GPS issue then something very screwy is going on. Your best solution either way would be to a complete shut-down, and remove the battery for 30 seconds or so. Another thing you can try is an App like GPS Status that lets you delete the aGPS data and do a "Cold Start" of your GPS.
    rgordon likes this.

It could also be a WiFi location problem. I recently ran into this problem with all my Android devices when I moved to my new house and got Verizon FiOS. Google has location data for wireless access points across the country, and for some reason mine was shown as being in Pennsylvania. After a few weeks, it corrected itself (presumably it got updated data).

Both mine and my wife's out of now where started saying we were in Denton, TX, we live in Philadelphia....

ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

Quote Originally Posted by indyfuse View Post
    I have a HTC Inspire 4G - Out of nowhere today, my phone GPS was showing me in San Diego; probelm is I llive in Indiana.
    Your phone thinks you need a vacation

Seriously, though, you should always do a restart of your phone when it seems to be acting strange. No battery pull necessary the first time. Just hold the power button and choose restart. Give it time to fully restart. I've noticed it takes a little longer to show icons from apps on your SD card properly. If that doesn't fix it, then you need to get more invasive.

Was able to fix my phone's map location...yet all my apps still shows that im from china..when i aint even near there

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

OK WAS THIS AFTER THE OTA UPDATE??? If so back up what you can and do a system restore

Quote Originally Posted by cyanogen-man View Post
    OK WAS THIS AFTER THE OTA UPDATE??? If so back up what you can and do a system restore
    My phone is driving me crazy also. Its a straight talk android and runs off AT&T towers. Sometimes it says I'm in Irondale Al and sometimes it says I'm in Leeds Al but I'm not I'm in Oneonta Al. No where near them two places.

Fix for the Weather Clock Widget:

Open Google Play Store/Android Market > Search & download “GPS Status & Toolbox” app by “MobiWIA – EclipSim” > Open app, click the menu icon (at bottom), tools, Manage A-GPS state, and Reset > Exit app

Go to either a blank or low populated page > hold to open the menu to add widgets > search for “Weather Clock 4x2” and drag to add to that blank or low populated page > Exit to homepage.
    Go to Menu > Settings > Scroll down to “Apps” > Go to “ALL” page > Scroll down to or search for “Weather Clock Widget” > Open icon, wait for it to compute the data info, and select “Clear data” > Exit to homepage.

Go to the page with the “Weather Clock 4x2” widget you added > Hold widget icon and drag to remove (the homepage and this icon are link data-wise, but you cannot remove the homepage widget icon on “The New HTC One” device…apparently it may be removable on other HTC One versions) > Restart phone.

Fixed! If not contact HTC Customer Support at 1-866-449-8358 Mon-Fri 8am-5pm CST or contact your carrier for international HTC One users.

Quote Originally Posted by brad_wp View Post
    Is it your GPS that is actually off, or just the cell network location?

My guess is that it's a cell tower problem. Try going outside and opening Google Maps, and wait for an actual GPS lock. This might take way longer than usual because your phone is getting aGPS data for the west coast, so it might take a little longer to pick up enough satelites.

If it's actually a GPS issue then something very screwy is going on. Your best solution either way would be to a complete shut-down, and remove the battery for 30 seconds or so. Another thing you can try is an App like GPS Status that lets you delete the aGPS data and do a "Cold Start" of your GPS.