1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC Inspire and data overage charges. Please help?!

Thank you in advance for your help. So I guess I'm a dinosaur who doesn't know anything. I though I was young at 32 until it took me more than 10 minutes to figure out how to join and post this. I have a couple of questions. Can I use AT&T smart limits on my sons HTC Inspire? I have been told yes and no, both from customer service reps! Frustrating! The data overage charges are going to kill me! I can't afford the 4gb plan right now, he would go over that too probably. I don't understand smartphones. Also, is the grandfather option only available to those who had a smartphone before or can it be just a "dumb" phone with unlimited data? I have been searching for hours and right now I don't trust AT&T to tell me what day it is. AHHHG!

Default Re: HTC Inspire and data overage charges. Please help?!

A couple known facts. Only those who had the smartphone unlimited data get grandfathered in. You can get a data monitor for his phone free from the market. You then put in you billing start date and you data limit. If he hits this limit it will shut off his mobile data on his phone. I recommend setting this limit a few hundred mb before the actual limit just for safety.

ROM
    Stock

I use smart limits for my kids' phones. You can limit the mobile data that he uses over the network, which is the mobile data that you pay for. Just go into smart limits and put in the max data you want to allow him to use. If you have a data plan, set the limit a little lower than the plan limit, just in case. Once he reaches the limit, he won't be able to use mobile data over the network. Since the Inspire is wifi capable, he can wifi for his data anytime he wants. The good thing is that it is unlimited. The bad thing is that you have no way to stop or control it. I use wifi whenever I can, and make the kids do it too, inorder to stretch my data plan out. If he uses wifi as much as he can, there's no reason a 2GB plan wouldn't be more than enough.
    BusyManNva
    Palm Treo --> Nokia E71x --> Rooted HTC Inspire 4G --> Motorola Matrix HD & Rooted Iconia A500 (ICS)

I too use wifi as much as possible.Luckily I have wifi at home and access to wifi at work. Have phone set to wifi only and only turn data on only when needed and only for a few minutes at a time. The smart limits app is definately the way to monitor it. Good Luck