Says its charging but it isn't?

mskelli

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I just got this phone yesterday and I've had to charge both of the batteries with the battery charger because every time I plug the actual phone in, it comes up as charging, but the battery level is going down instead of up. Anyone know why? I got the phone second-hand and it's my first smart phone so I really don't know much about them.
I have 4 classes tomorrow and will be gone from home at least 8 hours and I'd like to be able to charge my phone with a cord instead of just the batteries.

tmn72tx

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
mskelli,
A couple of thoughts. Is the Inspire really warm when charging? One article from HTC:
When using the device for prolonged periods of time, such as when you're talking on the phone, charging the battery or browsing the web, the device may become warm.
In most cases, this condition is normal and therefore should not be interpreted as a problem with the device.
The device has a protection feature that if the device becomes too warm (due to use of GPS while charging, BT while charging, using the device as a wireless modem, etc), the auto protection feature will be triggered and the charging process will be stopped.
Once the device cools down, the device will then begin charging again.

From the HTC Support Forum:
Inspect the device and the battery for any signs of physical or liquid damage. If found, please call HTC for an out-of-warranty repair.
Press and hold the Power key for 3-5 seconds to verify that the device will not turn on.
Remove the battery and check the contacts.
If there is residue found, clean with a soft dry cloth, re-insert the battery and retest.
Attempt to charge the device/battery.
Charging is indicated by a solid amber Notification LED in the top left. As the battery is being charged while the phone is on, the charging battery icon is displayed in the status bar of the Start screen. After the battery has been fully charged, the Notification LED shows a solid green light and a full battery icon displays in the status bar of the Start screen.
If the device status light does not stay solid Amber* or solid Green when the device is plugged in, try the following:
? Plug the charger into a different power outlet.
? Try a different device charger.
? Try a different battery.
* If the battery is completely dead or critically low, the charging LED will blink Amber for a few minutes and then turn to a solid Amber. At this point, the device can be powered on.
5. Ensure that the Charger/Data Cable is the one intended for the device by HTC.
? Use of non OEM chargers/data cables can cause your screen to become unresponsive (due to the power being allocated to charging the task, and not the screen).
? HTC can only guarantee items such as chargers that have been made, made for and certified by HTC. Our chargers have been tested and passed strenuous quality and safety regulations, and it is recommended you only use HTC chargers with your phone. You must be very careful when using electrical appliances; using products that have not been tested properly or that have not been tested at all could cause your phone to malfunction, or even in extreme cases, could injure you.
After the battery is fully charged, attempt to Power the device on again.
Rule out 3rd party application interference by removing applications recently downloaded and installed from Market: Market>Menu>Downloads. Touch on the items(s) to be removed and follow the onscreen prompts. Restart the device to complete the removal.
Note: Do not re-install the program and flag it as harmful to the device if the issue is not seen after the application removal.
If the problem is still present, the device will need to be Hard Reset; this will undo everything that has been done to the device and restore it back to factory setting.
The user will need to back up any data they do not want to lose before performing the Hard Reset.
From the Home Screen, select Menu>Settings>SD & phone storage>Factory data reset and follow the onscreen prompts.
If the issue still remains, the device can now be considered for an Exchange.

mskelli

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
So I tried an experiment, the night before last I plugged it in while I slept, and when I woke up the battery was completely dead. Last night, I didn't plug it in and I still have 40% battery left. I think maybe my charger has the terminals backwards and maybe that's why its draining the battery. But the phone doesn't get warm when plugged in, so idk. But thanks for the advice guys. I'll run to Best Buy and try a charger meant for my phone.

tmn72tx

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
mskelli,

You'll have to let us know if the new charger helps. If it isn't the charger, I would guess it is a damaged charge port like UnfocusedHTC said. Hopefully, it is the charger. The cheaper, easier fixes are always best!

Good luck!

tmn72tx

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
So I tried an experiment, the night before last I plugged it in while I slept, and when I woke up the battery was completely dead. Last night, I didn't plug it in and I still have 40% battery left. I think maybe my charger has the terminals backwards and maybe that's why its draining the battery. But the phone doesn't get warm when plugged in, so idk. But thanks for the advice guys. I'll run to Best Buy and try a charger meant for my phone.

Best Buy most likely won't have a stock HTC charger. They'll have an aftermarket one, which of course HTC doesn' reccomend. You can try it anyway, or you can fnd a stock one on Amazon.

Also, have you tried a different USB cable. I didn't see that you said you did, and I've seen many people find out that was the problem.

mskelli

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Update, I went out a bought a plain wall charger and it didn't work. None of the ones at Radioshack worked, or at the AT&T store. I'm waiting on the one I ordered from Amazon to get here. Could it be that both batteries are extended batteries? They're 1600 mAh Anker batteries.

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmmmm idk man but I did notice something quite odd with my phone sometimes I would plug it in the indicator lite would come on and instead of charging it would simlpy dis charge I have no idea as to y if your on a stock rom try this get the battery widget from HTC likes and look at the status or go to settings/about phone / battery status tell me if its charging or dis charging if its dis charging unplug the charge cable and plug it back in it usually fixed mine hope I'm of help ;)

kkcramt

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
My Samsung galaxy tab 4 wasn't charging so what I tried was holding the power button for 10 seconds and the I held the power button and the volume down button until it turned on all of this was while my charger was plugged in and when it turned on it was at 100%