Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Play market update

Has anyone received the market update to Google Play? I never received the last market update so I don't have my hopes up here. I did try to check for AT&T updates but that hasn't worked since installing Gingerbread- always shows "server unavailable."

ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

Default Re: Google Play market update

I had the "updates found" notifiaction. When I tapped it, the Google Play terms of service came up. I accepted and then nothing happened. I opened the market app, everything was the same. I actually saw a screenshot of Google Play, and except for it having the new Google Play icon where the Market icon used to be, it was the same.

i got the apk file. it says google play now but i don't have the movies tab on the market home screen. not sure why?

ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

I think this may be another case of Google releasing something before it was ready.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I went ahead and downloaded the .apk, but I'm not so sure I want to install it. Still running 2.3.4, the original installed market app.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

well the inspire isnt listed in the supported devices, which i will never understand how the desire hd is always listed and the inspire isnt.

ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

Got the update last night. It did the same thing as before, but this time it actually updated.

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

Quote Originally Posted by markoujk View Post
    i got the apk file. it says google play now but i don't have the movies tab on the market home screen. not sure why?
    we never had the google movies google movies has been a part of the market since last year but for some reason the inspire isnt a supported device

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

i got mine the day it was announced maby because im rooted and running cyanogen i have no idea but it dose make it better and faster for the ota updates from google

ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

At this point, I don't see that there's much difference than before, but maybe things will slowly start to change.

How did you guys get the update im unrooted wtf
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

So I'm not the only one then... I tell you, I'm about ready to root this thing.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I finally decided to just install the .apk and the upgrade went fine. No movie tab of course but I have no desire to watch movies on a tiny inspire screen anyway- more for tablet users I suppose.

Today it refused to run. I rebooted, still wouldn't run. Uninstalled. Back to market 2.3.4. Oh, well. I suppose if I really want to take advantage of the $0.49 and $0.25 apps I can always load google play in my browser.

My Inspire, which is also running the old Market, still hasn't updated to Google Play either.

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    ROM
    Virtuous Unity

Google purposely isn't updating the inspire 4g market becuase its still trying to fix the problem with google movies. This was about 6 months ago. They probably forgot about it.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

Not rooted.
    I just manually updated to Google Play Store using the apk - no movies here either.

However, the odd thing.
    Remember back in August when Gingerbread came out?
    I got the GB OTA update and immediately after got an Android Market Update to the new format OTA as well.
    At that point .... I DID have a Movies tab. Rented a movie from Android Market. Watched it on the Inspire.

A few weeks later for the heck of it I factory reset the phone.
    Old Market came back. New Market never was offered to me again.

And now when I finally get around to updating Market to G Store - no Movies.

I never got the new Google play icon, its still the Market icon & takes me to the old market, which is ok with me since I won't use anything in the store except apps. Just haven't figured out why this happened.

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

Delete market data and cache it'll reset the market and it'll update it settings>applications>running applications>find the market and touch it and then wipe data and cache open the market should update it

just go to http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...vQJBWA&cad=rja and click the download tab and then use a qr code scanner app and scann the code shown on the screen it will bring up a link on your phone once you press it the download will start automatically, did it on my inspire everything works perfect.

ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Westphal View Post
    just go to http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...vQJBWA&cad=rja and click the download tab and then use a qr code scanner app and scann the code shown on the screen it will bring up a link on your phone once you press it the download will start automatically, did it on my inspire everything works perfect.
    Thanks for the info on the new Google Play update, but this thread was originally discussing the switch from the old Appstore to Google Play.