Complete crap that ATT not giving us ICS!

Suprtrukr425

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
It's really crappy of ATT to leave the Inspire out of the ICS updates. When they lock you into a 2 year deal and sell you a phone, they should be required to provide updates for at least two years after the device is released. Our device is only just over a year old, and furthermore HTC has announced official ICS for our twin the Desire HD. I know the obvious response is root it, well I'm already rooted it just pisses me off that we are being left out. I think that every device released should have a mandatory 2 year support window, If you're going to lock me into a 2 year contract, I expect you to support the device you sold me for those 2 years.

Reactions: randyw

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
It's really crappy of ATT to leave the Inspire out of the ICS updates. When they lock you into a 2 year deal and sell you a phone, they should be required to provide updates for at least two years after the device is released. Our device is only just over a year old, and furthermore HTC has announced official ICS for our twin the Desire HD. I know the obvious response is root it, well I'm already rooted it just pisses me off that we are being left out. I think that every device released should have a mandatory 2 year support window, If you're going to lock me into a 2 year contract, I expect you to support the device you sold me for those 2 years.

You wouldn't be able to get it anyway unless you unrooted, and given the fiasco that the Gingerbread update was, I would prefer staying rooted.

dwappo

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Here is the thing. If cell providers kept the phones upto date, no one would buy new phones.

This is exactly why they won't upgrade certain phones. Unless they are popular, there's no point to upgrade a phone that won't make them money.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The various carriers/manufactures have already agreed to support devices up to 18 months. Problem is I think the clause they have signed into is more on the side of bug fixes more than OS updates.

Again, I've said this before even though its not the answer people like to hear... Turn to your dev community, they are continuously showing how once the carrier/manufacture cuts off further OS updates they will push the envelope and give you more.. Example many of the devices stranded on GB getting a shot at unofficial CM9 which is based on ICS.

Suprtrukr425

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Like I said I'm rooted, and I will be running CM9 when we receive a stable version. I know that we will be able to solve the driver problems when the DHD version is released. I'm just pissed off that the company that sold me the phone fails to support it for the length of the contract they had me sign. I am an iPhone hater, but to compare for just a minute Apple does provide updates for their devices for as long as they can, and they don't seem to have a shortage of devices being sold or money in the bank. If the manufacture of the phone still supports it, then it should be obligatory for the carrier to do the same. I would be more understanding if HTC wasn't providing support for the device anymore, however they are and AT&T should not half ass things and get the update out for us. They have no legitimate excuse, period.

Mtn_Scott

Remain Calm!
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
OK folks, Lets pretend you bought a laptop. It came with Windows 7. Do you expect the laptop manufacturer to give you Windows 8?

Of course not, you shell out $150 to Microsoft, and install a new OS. The Laptop manufacturer does not bug test it and optimize it with its applications.

Face it folks, you bought a product with an OS, you are not owed anything else. You want a new OS install it yourself. If they (ATT, etc.) promised you an upgrade, then you have a beef.

If not I have a nice platter of cheese for your consumption.

Icarus4219

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
OK folks, Lets pretend you bought a laptop. It came with Windows 7. Do you expect the laptop manufacturer to give you Windows 8?

Of course not, you shell out $150 to Microsoft, and install a new OS. The Laptop manufacturer does not bug test it and optimize it with its applications.

Face it folks, you bought a product with an OS, you are not owed anything else. You want a new OS install it yourself. If they (ATT, etc.) promised you an upgrade, then you have a beef.

Here's the difference - with the laptop, I have an upgrade path. I have to pay for it, but it does exist. It's there, it's officially supported, end of story.

With the phone, unless I want to go through an extremely technical procedure that voids my warranty, I have NO upgrade path. There is NO officially supported upgrade path, only one illegitimate path that lets the carrier say, "Well, we screwed you over into doing this, and the phone broke afterwards for any reason whatsoever including hardware failure that had nothing to do with the software at all in any way? Sounds like your problem!"

Huge difference.

That said, $150 would be an ENORMOUS amount of money for a phone version upgrade. Maybe $10-20, although that's still asking a lot from a traditionally free upgrade.

Antiochasylum

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
ATT, does not want to spend the money on upgrading "low end phones".

Sorry.

If you think the phone is not "low end" then look at the phones coming out...Anything past 4-6 months is "old" and "low end"

lnx1138

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I gave up on ICS coming. I flashed an ICS ROM called Redemption from some of the devs on xda-developers and it has been my daily driver for a couple of weeks now. I am going to do the same with my wife's Inspire.

Before doing this I was considering leaving AT&T and sign up with Ting (network provided by Sprint) but it will require a large investment since Ting has few phones and not very heavily subsidized but their plans are great. We'll see. For now, having ICS on my Inspire has made it feel like a brand new phone. We'll see how else AT&T can piss me off and then I'll leave.

njd915

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Still...is not gonna be the full ICS experience...u would still be sensed out.....just get a galaxy nexus unlocked and use it for att.....cyanogenmod 9 nightly is really smooth on this nexus....got verizon..I had to pay tmob to get off they contract....wack phones at T-Mobile...so had to go to verizon for ICS

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Here's the difference - with the laptop, I have an upgrade path. I have to pay for it, but it does exist. It's there, it's officially supported, end of story.

With the phone, unless I want to go through an extremely technical procedure that voids my warranty, I have NO upgrade path. There is NO officially supported upgrade path, only one illegitimate path that lets the carrier say, "Well, we screwed you over into doing this, and the phone broke afterwards for any reason whatsoever including hardware failure that had nothing to do with the software at all in any way? Sounds like your problem!"

Huge difference.

That said, $150 would be an ENORMOUS amount of money for a phone version upgrade. Maybe $10-20, although that's still asking a lot from a traditionally free upgrade.

Where do I start? Your laptop upgrade path is not officially supported. If you upgrade the OS and something doesn't go right, the manufacturer isn't going to help you. A cellphone's expected life is much less than a computer's expected life. Sure, a cell phone can last 3 years if you take care of it, but a computer can last 4-6 or more. And Google will never allow anyone to charge for Android.

Timelessblur

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
The various carriers/manufactures have already agreed to support devices up to 18 months. Problem is I think the clause they have signed into is more on the side of bug fixes more than OS updates.

Again, I've said this before even though its not the answer people like to hear... Turn to your dev community, they are continuously showing how once the carrier/manufacture cuts off further OS updates they will push the envelope and give you more.. Example many of the devices stranded on GB getting a shot at unofficial CM9 which is based on ICS.

I say that so called agreement is just empty words and broken promises. This is just more proof of it. That agreement should be considered dead until proven other wise.

Suprtrukr425

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

So are you saying that comparing free open source software to overpriced closed source software is a legitimate argument? I think not. You don't buy a PC with the expectations of a free version of paid software other than what is preloaded. I do however expect a carrier to provide updates to a device they sold me as long as the manufacturer of the device is still providing updates and support for said device. That said I feel like both the manufacturers, and carriers should be obligated to provide updates to devices for a full 2 years after said device has completed its shelve life, providing that the hardware is capable. While our device may be considered outdated in terms of how fast the industry is progressing, the fact is that is has only been on AT&T shelves for just over a year, and it is still available for sale from AT&T. We are not talking about a 600Mhz device with 256mb ram here people, to me that is a "low end/out dated" device. Our device is more than capable, as proven by the fact that HTC is releasing official ICS for our twin brother.