power saving mode

UnfocusedHTC

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Okay. Im having an issue with the newest update. I have the power saver turned off. However at 24% is keeps turning back on. I don't want this on at all. Anyone else experiencing this?

jsice9

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I haven't notice on mine but are you having issues with your live wallpapers not working?

Sent from my Desire HD using Android Central Forums

CalicoGal

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Okay. Im having an issue with the newest update. I have the power saver turned off. However at 24% is keeps turning back on. I don't want this on at all. Anyone else experiencing this?

FINALLY!!! I have been looking all over the Internet for SOMEONE else having this problem!! I have the EXACT problem, at 24%!!

On mine Power Saver is turned off in the settings and no matter how many times I turn it off, it turns itself back on. Oddly, if I look at the Quick Settings in the pull-down from the home page, it says it is off.
But then at 24%, I get that pop-up!!

HTC said to run the phone in Safe Mode for a day, didn't help... now I am thinking of doing a Factory Reset....

Please update if any helps are found...

UnfocusedHTC

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I just did a factory reset. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Edit. Well never mind that didn't work. When that pops up it gives you the option of what it turns off. Uncheck everything.

CalicoGal

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh you did a factory reset and Power Saver STILL pops up at 24%?

I already have "unchecked" everything under the settings for Power Saver *and* set the threshold at 10%. Still comes on at 24% battery warning me that Bluetooth might be affected, even thought the Bluetooth box under Power Saver settings is unchecked, just like all of them (I never use Bluetooth!). :\

I just called HTC, the gal was so nice and opened a ticket. She also had some other suggestions (go into Manage Applications and hit Clear Data under HTC Sense, back arrow out of it, and then hit "home" when the white HTC screen comes on)

My phone is not with me at the moment, but I will try that.

You should call HTC (866-449-8358) and report this, as it is clearly a bug in the Sense 3.0 update. If it gets reported enough, they might release a patch.

CalicoGal

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I have already backed up all my stuff in anticipation of doing a Factory Reset.

But if you did it, and it did *not* fix the Power Saver coming on at 24% battery, I guess I won't bother... what to do now?

I will just live with it (SO ANNOYING!) and hope that HTC/ATT releases a patch when they realize it is a bug.

Last edited:

CalicoGal

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
So why is there a setting that lets you set it to come on at 20, 15, or 10%?
And, why did the gal I spoke to at HTC put in a ticket for my issue?

No, this is not a normal behavior of the rom.

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Well at least at 10% mandatory its to protect the battery because full force at 10% battery is bad it will kill the battery life and by life I mean how many times you can charge it its a lithium ion thing.... and it can make it unstable potentially making it a bomb 0.0

UnfocusedHTC

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Well at least at 10% mandatory its to protect the battery because full force at 10% battery is bad it will kill the battery life and by life I mean how many times you can charge it its a lithium ion thing.... and it can make it unstable potentially making it a bomb 0.0

I think you are confusing li-Ion and li-po batteries.

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Lithium ion is actually more unstable than lithium polymer if its not manufactured correctly due to the fact over time lithium ions break down and become unstable and can hold less of a charge they even have documented cases of faulty batteries exploding so its to keep power consumption to a minimum so it do sent over heat the battery potentially causing instability... so its a safety feature on 2 fronts to keep the power draw manageable so it don't eventually go boom and the general life of the battery

Last edited:

Iceberg86300

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Battery life for lithium chemistry batteries is 2 folded into one. Overdisharge will cause the battery to last less and less over time, before you have it on the charger, full charge, and the battery will last a small fraction of the time it lasted when new.

Also, it really is not a safety precaution. My battery will get hotter than hell while working mid to low charge (not due to charge, I just work out the phone once and awhile.) I've done the same thing at low charges, it isn't good for it, but it happens. If manufacturers built a phone with a battery that would last a day none of this would be a problem.

I don't really know when those batteries exploded, but I want to say it was overcharge, blowing up on the charger or soon after taking it off the charger.

At least 4 things will crap out a lithium battery. Charge rate too high, draining the battery too low, and over use causing extreme heat, or a puncture (more likely in LiPo's)

Usually it takes a puncture or dead short to shoot off a LiPo, but overcharging at a high amperage will set one off as well. Because pretty much every battery in a phone today has circuitry to prevent overcharging, as well as to control the charging profile, because it is very sensitive. Typical LiPo at 30% (recommended cut voltage) will have a very steep voltage curve in the next 10-15%, bringing the battery close to final voltage. Time to full charge the charger is working like crazy, charging for a bit, then cutting voltage, rinse and repeat until the downward spike with no voltage is very close to the voltage of a fully charged pack. To give an idea about the power of these reactions, I nose dived my helicopter into the ground and just happened to puncture one of the cells in my 3 cell 2100maH 25c pack(2100maH is capacity of pack, 25c times 2100maH = 50 Amps being disharged almost all at once). I did this early in the flight, and my heli basically melted, as well as melting into the asphalt. But it did look like the Fourth of July!

Check out YouTube to see some idiots blowing up LiPo's so you don't risk your life or house or car, because they act like rockets.

Sorry about any spelling or grammer errors, up in the dead of the night.Hope I shed some light on the delicate nature of Li ion, and LiPo's.

Steve