rooted htc inspire update issues

anairam

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
hello,
i have a rooted (used ace hack, went great, soon after i got the phone a year ago) htc inspire, android 2.3.3. i rooted it to remove certain bloatware apps (blockbusted, asphalt, etc.) and to use some apps that require root (titanium backup, root explorer, etc) which i did successfully. kept all else the same, no new rom, etc.
i have had one system update sent from att to the phone, some months after it was rooted, successfully installed.
now, i realized that i still have android market, not google play, started pocking around and found out that there is an system update for my phone as well. i had not received any notification of a system update although i still get updates for apps from android market. *#*#242546#*#* did not give me a notification for a system update, clearing cache (at boot) did not help either.
i called att and they 'forced' an update to be sent to my phone so after the notification i downloaded it (took abt 10min). here is where the problem starts - i have a notification that system update is ready, when i tap that and choose install, the phone powers down, then starts back up, i see a brief flash of a status bar on the bottom of the screen (less then a second) and then the blue man with an exclamation point in a white triangle (like the attention sign). this screen does not go away. i ended up removing the battery to restart at which point the phone boots normally (gives me update failed though) and works as if nothing happened. i tried twice, still have the notification that system update is ready on the notification bar. htc wants to convince me to reset to factory setting which i refuse to do (i did not spend months perfecting my angry birds scores for nothing ;) )
any suggestions on how to accomplish the system update without resetting the phone?
is it possible to install an update on a rooted phone to begin with? (i apparently have done it before as i mentioned so it should be possible, but still... maybe they changed things in the newer updates)
if no, then any suggestions on how to get rid of the update notification on the bar? also, any suggestions how to get google play to replace android market on the phone without a system update?
thank you all for your time,
-mariana

(applogies if this is the wrong thread, subject, or has been answered before. don't mean to waste anyone's time.)

fuhrm

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I may be wrong, but I believe that you can do certain updates, but extensive (like the version update that you are talking about) you can not do. If you have installed rom manager than you can reboot to a previous save. If you don't have rom manager (or some other comparable app) then I don't know if there is anything that you can do to over flash this. Maybe titanium backup but I don't know about that. I too rooted my phone to get rid of certain apps, but played around and had to do some learning on how to reboot to backups. Look around on the android forums and do a little research and you can probably find someone in the know.

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
When you root your phone, you cannot get official updates such as the one that was issued in August that upgrades to 2.3.5 and Sense 3.0. If you like Sense, xda has rooted roms of the official update.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
It's always easy to just unroot, update, then root from the recovery. Not the stock recovery, by the way.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Android Central Forums

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Sigh never do official software especially one like that it pat he'd the root access and probobly bricked your phone now I hope you got clock work installed make sure the battery is fully charged in your case when the led turns green and press volume down as you hold the power button this is recovery go to your h boot and restore it

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawiss