Can't access Google Play (market)

Slowdave1

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Son got a new Android phone. Gave his old Inspire 4G to my daughter so she could upgrade from an old un-smart phone. Daughter planned to use it for everything as designed except she has no data plan on her phone #, so only internet/data access would be via WiFi. It is working fine for her as a phone, internet (via wifi), camera, MP3 player, etc. But, can't access Google Play/Android Market to download any new apps. (Not positive at this late hour which one that phone accesses.) It says something like "unable to access data plan" or something like that. This is an unrooted phone, and as far as AT&T goes, we only planned to use this as a phone/texting machine other than accessing internet via WiFi, which I assume they wouldn't care about. Is the Market somehow linked in to check that we have a data plan for the phone before it will give access?

Thoughts? Remedies? Work arounds? And yes, I am an extreme noob myself, so please speak simpleton. :confused:

Thanks!

Slowdave1

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your suggestion! However, we tried it and it asks us to log into her gmail account when we re-start and enter the "Market." After a few minutes of "communicating with Google," it comes back and says, "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server. This could be a temporary problem or your phone may not be provisioned for data services. If it continues, call Customer Care."

I should have mentioned also that my son did a factory reset before handing it over to my daughter. Any other recommendations gladly accepted!

Oh, config info:
Android version 2.3.3
HTC Sense version 2.1
Software number 2.47.502.7

Also, this phone has the "market" not the newer "Play Store" on it. I'm open to changing that if needed/possible, just saying what's on there now.

Hopefully that covers any information that would help in troubleshooting. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Slowdave1

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure about the SIM with a data plan question, but it was fully working on the previous SIM (that had a data plan) and now doesn't. Would be a good test. Will see if I can make that happen.

Yes, it connects to the internet successfully via Wi-Fi. Even went to play.google.com and attempted to download an app there. It asked for us to sign in, we did, and it said something along the lines of "this is the first time you've used this device in the Play Store." There was a continue (which just put us back to the store without successfully downloading/installing the app) and a "Learn more" button, which just told us some hints. One was to go into settings>accounts&syncs and make sure the same account was listed there as the one we were trying to sign in with. It's not, and when we tried to add it, it did the same thing as when we tried to sign in on the market app on the phone: says it's communicating with google for a minute or so and then comes back with the same error msg I noted above.

I'm a little afraid Big Google/AT&T has got his claws on me for trying to use a smart phone without a data plan. But why would google care about AT&T's profits??? Weird.

Desi the real one

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Check your time and date settings. I will try to keep it simple as I can. You will get this error if date is incorrect. The connection is refused due to an untrusted certificate error (expiry date stumble I believe). So check date settings, delete services framework data, delete play store data, reboot, retry. Of course you are using a valid account on your device and have sync'd etc. if this doesn't work then I'll buy your conspiracy theory :cool: Now who can help me delete, modify dissable, fool the play store filters? Email me?

dangeorges

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat - I've got my HTC Aria (decommissioned without a SIM) and Play store won't connect.
I like the conspiracy theory myself...

Data plans are the biggest scam in mobile phone history.

Bossz Majie

May 9, 2013
Visit site
"Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server. This could be a temporary problem or your phone may not be provisioned for data services. If it continues, call Customer Care."
same problem here

Gavi Prasethia

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
same problem, i've try everything i know bout data plan connection such as enable/disable network, clear data on google play, twitter, path, etc who needs authentication to server provider, reboot n still nothin'
but when im try using wifi on my office suddenly it works to everything i mention above.
my assumtion is the problem was on the network provider
sorry for my bad english

vaughtk1999

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Son got a new Android phone. Gave his old Inspire 4G to my daughter so she could upgrade from an old un-smart phone. Daughter planned to use it for everything as designed except she has no data plan on her phone #, so only internet/data access would be via WiFi. It is working fine for her as a phone, internet (via wifi), camera, MP3 player, etc. But, can't access Google Play/Android Market to download any new apps. (Not positive at this late hour which one that phone accesses.) It says something like "unable to access data plan" or something like that. This is an unrooted phone, and as far as AT&T goes, we only planned to use this as a phone/texting machine other than accessing internet via WiFi, which I assume they wouldn't care about. Is the Market somehow linked in to check that we have a data plan for the phone before it will give access?

Thoughts? Remedies? Work arounds? And yes, I am an extreme noob myself, so please speak simpleton. :confused:

I recently resolved the Google Play issue about "unsupported device / you haven't accessed from this device for a long time" etc. by going into genera phone settings, then going into accounts /sync, then made sure my email(s) we're correct, then hit "sync". I don't know why,but that did the trick for my Samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket ATT. Hope this helps.
Thanks!
accessed the from this device in long time " or whatever. I was a
I recently resolved the Google Play "unsupported device /you havent

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
hey man i just want to know what happened to my phone because i cannot access google play anymore. when i press the google play icon it just won`t open. it started when i tried to download the new version of the HTC manager, but i didn`t completed and cancelled it. .

Amber Tilton

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
i have a Samsung transform ultra and even though i'm connected to Wi-Fi, I still can't access the market. i'll click on the app and it'll open. it will say loading but then it'll go back to my home page really quickly :/ HELP?!

J Lowe

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happened to me when my Nexus 4 got the 4.3 update.

I removed my google account from my phone. Then immediately added the account back to the phone, it prompted my to accepts the T&C's of Google Play store and no more error message! All apps started updating and I can download from google play again!

Trevor Boon

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
+1 for the time solution. - Desire HD - Android 2.3.5

In my case, I couldn't open the play store or log into facebook, but the date was correct.
I turned off 'Automatic Date and Time' and confirmed it was set correctly on manual, everything worked again.

Paulina Amado

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue with my daughter's phone & after trying many tips & being stubborn about doing a factory reset on it, I am soooo glad I came across this post cause it's what did the trick! Thank you!
Try clear data for Google Services Framework then reboot (if necessary) then Play Store will get you to accept TOS and work again.
Menu>System Settings>apps>all apps> google services framework