HTC Inspire with Grandfathered Unlimited Data?

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I currently have a Nexus One which I am using with an old unlimited Blackberry Data Plan on AT&T. I am currently grandfathered so I can keep getting unlimited data as long as I want. My question is this: if I sign a two year contract to get the Inspire for $99, can I keep my grandfathered unlimited data for use with the Inspire?

For me this is a deal-breaker as I use ~5GB of data a month currently with my Nexus(not using wifi hotspot or tethering, just regular 3G data).

Thanks for any insight!!!

Best,

AF1

AndreaCristiano#AC

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I currently have a Nexus One which I am using with an old unlimited Blackberry Data Plan on AT&T. I am currently grandfathered so I can keep getting unlimited data as long as I want. My question is this: if I sign a two year contract to get the Inspire for $99, can I keep my grandfathered unlimited data for use with the Inspire?

For me this is a deal-breaker as I use ~5GB of data a month currently with my Nexus(not using wifi hotspot or tethering, just regular 3G data).

Best,

AF1

I think you should be ok, oh and dude i think you need to see a doctor thats alot of time spent with your phone

Loiselle

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Now, from what I was told, I would lose my iPhone Unlimited Data when I re-sign a new 2 year deal. But I have been told by others, who have non-iPhone devices that STILL HAVE iPhone Unlimited Data, that I shouldn't lose it because I am grandfathered in.

Now to me, either way is no big deal. I don't use data anywhere ear the capacity that you do... on the low 100MB and 1GB on the high end. SO losing it wouldn't be much for me.

AndreaCristiano#AC

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Now, from what I was told, I would lose my iPhone Unlimited Data when I re-sign a new 2 year deal. But I have been told by others, who have non-iPhone devices that STILL HAVE iPhone Unlimited Data, that I shouldn't lose it because I am grandfathered in.

Now to me, either way is no big deal. I don't use data anywhere ear the capacity that you do... on the low 100MB and 1GB on the high end. SO losing it wouldn't be much for me.

hey man were jumpin all over the intranets this evening LOL

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I think you should be ok, oh and dude i think you need to see a doctor thats alot of time spent with your phone
Thanks for the posts guys. Yeah I love my Nexus...I stream a lot of Flash content, lots of widgets and syncing going on. It's rooted so I'm always doing something with it one way or the other.

That 5GB figure only happened once out of the last 4 months, but the other three months were 3.5GB one month and 4GB for the other two....still a lot of data.

I'm hoping they will work with me since where I live there is no "4G" yet, so it's still going to be 3G only.

I suppose I will update this thread when I go in to get the device and see what happens. Hoping they just leave the BB data plan alone and give me the Inspire for $99 bucks in exchange for signing a two year contract.

AndreaCristiano#AC

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the posts guys. Yeah I love my Nexus...I stream a lot of Flash content, lots of widgets and syncing going on. It's rooted so I'm always doing something with it one way or the other.

That 5GB figure only happened once out of the last 4 months, but the other three months were 3.5GB one month and 4GB for the other two....still a lot of data.

I'm hoping they will work with me since where I live there is no "4G" yet, so it's still going to be 3G only.

I suppose I will update this thread when I go in to get the device and see what happens. Hoping they just leave the BB data plan alone and give me the Inspire for $99 bucks in exchange for signing a two year contract.

Dont you ever have wifi on???

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Dont you ever have wifi on???
Nah, I move around a lot in town during the day and here is a typical 3G speed for me:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/768642683.png

Sure my home WiFi is a lot faster than that but given it's a mobile device the 3.50 Mb/s feels the same as my home 15 Mb/s...I mean, pages load fast as hell either way, and I find WiFi just drains more battery especially when it's always looking for a signal when I move around.... so at 3.50Mb/s, might as well just go 3G all the time.

Anyway this is just my experience.

AndreaCristiano#AC

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Nah, I move around a lot in town during the day and here is a typical 3G speed for me:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/768642683.png

Sure my home WiFi is a lot faster than that but given it's a mobile device the 3.50 Mb/s feels the same as my home 15 Mb/s...I mean, pages load fast as hell either way, and I find WiFi just drains more battery especially when it's always looking for a signal when I move around.... so at 3.50Mb/s, might as well just go 3G all the time.

Anyway this is just my experience.

sure but im willing to bet that if you used the wifi at home and a few other places you wouldnt hit 2G

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
sure but im willing to bet that if you used the wifi at home and a few other places you wouldnt hit 2G
perhaps.....but I'm keeping my Nexus One.... I want to use it to connect to a WiFi only Xoom or WiFi only iPad 2 via the Nexus One's FREE wifi hotspot feature. That way when I get one of these tablets in a couple months, I can take the WiFi only version with me wherever I go and use them for FREE :p All I have to do is swap the SIM from the Inspire back to my Nexus One...and presto free WiFi hotspot.

trust me I know what I'm doing ;) I just need unlimited data to do it :D

mrnserv

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi

Best,

AF1
I just switched from Blackberry Torch to an Android phone with AT&T and I was able to keep my unlimited plan, no problems with a new (extended) contract.

The non-AT&T store said I would lose it, but when I went chatted with AT&T rep online they said I could keep it and when I went to an AT&T company store and upgraded I was told I could keep it. Could keep it on any smartphone upgrade - Blackberry, Apple, Android as long as I didn't end the original plan at any time or switch it to a tethered plan, or 250MB/2GB plan. Once you go to another plan, you lose it, but if you switch phones or OS's it doesn't matter, grandfathered unlimited data stays with you.

Just make sure you work with someone who knows this and doesn't make a change to your plan that will alter it in a way that you would lose it. I have switched phones 2x since new data plans came out and I made sure the rep was certain I would retain my unlimited plan each time and I have both times.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I just switched from Blackberry Torch to an Android phone with AT&T and I was able to keep my unlimited plan, no problems with a new (extended) contract.

The non-AT&T store said I would lose it, but when I went chatted with AT&T rep online they said I could keep it and when I went to an AT&T company store and upgraded I was told I could keep it. Could keep it on any smartphone upgrade - Blackberry, Apple, Android as long as I didn't end the original plan at any time or switch it to a tethered plan, or 250MB/2GB plan. Once you go to another plan, you lose it, but if you switch phones or OS's it doesn't matter, grandfathered unlimited data stays with you.

Just make sure you work with someone who knows this and doesn't make a change to your plan that will alter it in a way that you would lose it. I have switched phones 2x since new data plans came out and I made sure the rep was certain I would retain my unlimited plan each time and I have both times.
Thanks for posting your experience. :)

The more I've read on the subject the more I think I'll be able to keep my unlimited data. What you mention seems to be very important: finding someone at an AT&T store who knows what they are talking about and what they are doing. I'm just going to mention keeping my unlimited data and if the guy looks or sounds at all confused I'm leaving and trying another.:D

_berver

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I also spoke with an online rep about upgrading from my 3GS to an inspire and she said that I could keep my unlimited plan. I guess this has been established but I figured I would share. Just don't take no for an answer :p. Gotta love competition

dhughes

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Do we have to sign up for the $45 Mobile hotspot plan if we get this phone, or is that just an extra option? That is something that I will not use.

Right now I have the unlimited data plan.

blopez24

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Do we have to sign up for the $45 Mobile hotspot plan if we get this phone, or is that just an extra option? That is something that I will not use.

Right now I have the unlimited data plan.

its a choice. Dont let them take away your unlimited data!!!

amy78c

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
As long as you do not change your plan the unlimited data can not be taken away ... so just dont mess with your plan in any way ...

bmolloy

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I am waiting on a response for this very question, I emailed them 2 days ago now with no response. I have a Nexus 1 that I am using my iPhone unlimited plan with, so I do not want to loose that. I am also curious if with this upgrade comes a new sim card (for the HSPA+). It would suck if I ended up with the Nexus one and was not able to use it as a back up phone or the wifi hotspot when I need it because I had a non-compatible sim card.

I upgraded my wife's 1st gen iPhone to the iPhone 4 and they let me keep the unlimited data, so that has me hoping they will do the same when I upgrade.

I feel like AT&T has been VERY vague about this whole HSPA+ roll out. I know they don't have phones out yet but the have been selling the shockwave modem (HSPA+ compatible) for a while now. I am really hoping the have some transparency like T-Mobile on where they are pulling off the upgrades. (The room roars with laughter at that one!)

coreymcl

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
We purchased the Samsung Focus back in November coming from iPhone with unlimited data plan and were able to keep the unlimited data plan. My problem is, I want the tethering option so I'm going to have to change my plan unless something changes between now and then.

MarkPharaoh

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I still have my iPhone unlimited plan. I have switched the Cappy and iPhone back and forth as my main device on my ATT account. The only thing is when you go into the store tell them repeatedly that you want to keep the iPhone plan. Seriously, say it half a dozen times by the time they are activating it to your line.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
perhaps.....but I'm keeping my Nexus One.... I want to use it to connect to a WiFi only Xoom or WiFi only iPad 2 via the Nexus One's FREE wifi hotspot feature. That way when I get one of these tablets in a couple months, I can take the WiFi only version with me wherever I go and use them for FREE :p All I have to do is swap the SIM from the Inspire back to my Nexus One...and presto free WiFi hotspot.

trust me I know what I'm doing ;) I just need unlimited data to do it :D

i dont think you know what your talking about.
the nexus one has no free wifi connectivity thing. are you talking about tethering?

if so the inspire will be able to do the same thing. if youre talking about the rooted wifi tether app then yes, that too will come - nearly the second it comes out im sure itll be rooted

and also carrying around your N1 for that one app alone, and changing your sim seems like a lot of work. if your traveling somewhere id imagine you can just use your phones data rather than switch sim cards etc. if your at school or work just use wifi for christ's sake. not to mention worrying about battery for your N1 especially if tethering wirelessly!

anyways, dont worry the inspire will be ale to do everything your N1 can and more

attn1

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
i dont think you know what your talking about.
the nexus one has no free wifi connectivity thing. are you talking about tethering?

if so the inspire will be able to do the same thing. if youre talking about the rooted wifi tether app then yes, that too will come - nearly the second it comes out im sure itll be rooted

and also carrying around your N1 for that one app alone, and changing your sim seems like a lot of work. if your traveling somewhere id imagine you can just use your phones data rather than switch sim cards etc. if your at school or work just use wifi for christ's sake. not to mention worrying about battery for your N1 especially if tethering wirelessly!

anyways, dont worry the inspire will be ale to do everything your N1 can and more

Android 2.2 OTA for Nexus One certainly does have a wifi hotspot app - and it's been working without additional any charges on AT&T's network.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon