Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,973 Global Posts

Default [Updated - it's official] No sideloading on the Inspire 4G

I dunno who said otherwise, but they're wrong. You can't sideload out of the box.

Good thing there's the Sideload Wonder Machine!

Update: Just got off the phone with HTC. They confirm that the Insipire 4G is not set up to sideload apps from outside the Android Market. The video showing otherwise is an anomaly, and they're not quite sure why. Don't expect your phone to do it. (But if it does, more power to you.)
    Last edited by Phil Nickinson; 02-04-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Upated with official response
    Thanked by:

umm Taylor from android and me said so and he did it

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaCristiano View Post
    umm Taylor from android and me said so and he did it
    Well Phil is not the only reviewer saying that side downloading is not working: Phonescoop is also saying side download is not working:

"It is worth pointing out, however, that the Inspire 4G can not install off-market apps. This is a limitation across all AT&T-branded Android phones"

It's very possible that Taylor received an early production model that had not yet had side downloading disabled, or Phil and Phonescoop received early models that had not had side downloading enabled yet.... Regardless, who cares? As Phil mentioned, Wonder Machine will work just fine.

hmmm interesting

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaCristiano View Post
    hmmm interesting
    Think about it this way tho: if they disable side-downloading, we have the Wonder Machine...I love sticking it to the man. It will almost be MORE fun side downloading against AT&T's wishes. It's fun to be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Air Force One View Post
    Think about it this way tho: if they disable side-downloading, we have the Wonder Machine...I love sticking it to the man. It will almost be MORE fun side downloading against AT&T's wishes. It's fun to be bad.
    hahahahaha

I agree. Who cares? What is the great app that need to be side loaded besides Swype, which I hate?

Quote Originally Posted by chief113 View Post
    I agree. Who cares? What is the great app that need to be side loaded besides Swype, which I hate?
    Well I have apps that I bought from the Market that are no longer there, so the only way to put them on a new android device is to side download them from my backups I made.

Another example is the Skyfire browser. They updated it to include that damn social networking bar at the bottom of the screen, so I backed up an older version to my computer. I want to be able to move that older Skyfire version to my new Inspire. Without Android Central's side downloading app I would be screwed.

One more example: cannot remember the name of the company but they sell HD games for Android and occasionally they give one away for free. They DO NOT release their games in the market tho, you have to be able to side download them. I have two free ones they released and I want to move these to my Inspire. I personally have about 10 apps I need to side download...not that they are "great" in general, but they are a necessity for me.

Ok, thanks. Finally an answer.

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Here we have a video of an app being sideloaded from the SD card. Who knows what to believe at this point...

And Air Force One, you are thinking of Gameloft.
    "In valor, there is hope."

Quote Originally Posted by bkorver View Post
    Here we have a video of an app being sideloaded from the SD card. Who knows what to believe at this point...

And Air Force One, you are thinking of Gameloft.
    That's it!

I guess we aren't going to know the real deal regarding side downloading until we actually get this thing in our hands. I was afraid these reviewers are apparently getting slightly different pre-production versions of the Inspire. Great find on this video!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,973 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bkorver View Post
    Yeah, I've been talking to Nick about it. We're in agreement that there's probably wonky with his phone, and it's unlikely AT&T's changed its policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    Yeah, I've been talking to Nick about it. We're in agreement that there's probably wonky with his phone, and it's unlikely AT&T's changed its policy.
    Well then I want Nick's Inspire!

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

I know I'm a newb to the forums and all, but what's the big deal about rooting/sideloading a BRAND NEW GD PHONE?? The only phone I have rooted (of the 4 I've had:OG Droid, Dinc, Droid2, DX) was the OG droid after froyo b/c the hardware couldn't take many of the minor processes. I'm a technophile like the rest of us in here, but I just don't get it. I'll admit, I'm intrigued by the Inspire, and I don't give a "tiny rat's behind"(Friends' credit) that it's locked down, cuz I can always root it and throw Cymod on it's back.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunieo View Post
    I know I'm a newb to the forums and all, but what's the big deal about rooting/sideloading a BRAND NEW GD PHONE??
    First of all rooting and side downloading do not necessarily go hand in hand, secondly I already gave examples of why side downloading is necessary for some of us folks. AGAIN>>> I have apps I PAID FOR in the Market that ARE NO LONGER THERE...the only way I can put them on my new phone is to side download them from backups I made to my computer. I want these apps well before the device is rooted and we have ROMs to download, so side downloading is needed for some of us NOW

Just another example: AT&T hides PDAnet in the Market. The only way to get it on my device is to side download it from a backup I made before they started hiding it.

ROM
    Preclair 1.4

Just do what I've done with stock 2.1 on my backflip: root the inspire, use root explorer and SQLite Editor, change the variables that make non market installation possible (your on your own for finding those), unroot, then BAM! you've got non market apps!

lol, I love how someone posts a video of it being doable, and it's pressumed that the phone is wonky and att = the devil.

I'm all for calling out a company when they deserve it, but obviously we don't know at this point. The only thing wonky right now is the assumptions being made.

weird two of them did it and the one who says it doesnt didnt really try just went to look in the settings that arent there..hmmmmm

Love the Office Space reference. That said most are leaning towards that due to ATT's history of doing so. At this point they're guilty until proven innocent. USSR style comrades!

Quote Originally Posted by Gra7on View Post
    Wow. Why didn't I think to make that?

Genius Gra7on, friggen genius!

Quote Originally Posted by uberspeed View Post
    Love the Office Space reference. That said most are leaning towards that due to ATT's history of doing so. At this point they're guilty until proven innocent. USSR style comrades!
    Well, it would be agreeable if there weren't more than one source claiming sideloading possibilities.

The point is you have to have a fair attitude towards all of this, because if we want to look at the history of at&t, android wasn't even a priority. Assuming that no sideloading will be possible out of the box here because that's the way past devices have worked sort of forgoes the notion of adaptive business models, which is precisely what at&t is currently doing right now as we speak with their new android line.

My only point is, don't call a chicken a chicken when it might be a horse. We don't know for sure yet, and there is enough evidence in front of us to build a logical case for sideloading to be an out of the box feature as there is that it will not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Chappie View Post
    Well, it would be agreeable if there weren't more than one source claiming sideloading possibilities.

The point is you have to have a fair attitude towards all of this, because if we want to look at the history of at&t, android wasn't even a priority. Assuming that no sideloading will be possible out of the box here because that's the way past devices have worked sort of forgoes the notion of adaptive business models, which is precisely what at&t is currently doing right now as we speak with their new android line.

My only point is, don't call a chicken a chicken when it might be a horse. We don't know for sure yet, and there is enough evidence in front of us to build a logical case for sideloading to be an out of the box feature as there is that it will not be.
    And my point is ATT's past, just like any other company, is like credit history; until they make reparations I for one am not willing to cut them any slack (yet though I'm rooting for them as they're my carrier of choice). I love their network, it allows me simultaneous voice and data which I use all the time, it indeed is very fast as well and I have always had great coverage (in my area and when I've traveled). That said they are just starting to make inroads in high end Android handsets and as a loyal subscriber I have been suffering so they need to prove themselves. Time will tell.

ROM
    Sabsa Prime for Inspire

I agree with you uberspeed. We need to not say for sure whether it is or isn't until we all get the device in our hands and can say for sure yes or no. I for one don't care either way. Like Phil and others said, Android Central has our back with the "Sideload Wonder Machine"! I'm not holding my breath of them allowing it, but will wait and see.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast