What to do first?

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I'll be getting my first Android phone on Monday. It'll be the Inspire (hope that was fairly obvious considering the forum but you never know :p). Being that I am brandy dandy new to this platform, what is the first thing I should do with it? Any specific apps to install? ROM's to install? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Blanco720

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I would be trolling market.android.com right now to get a feel for apps. That way day one you will be good to go. Also, if you don't have a gmail account, get one ready because you will definitely need one. Take a look at videos with the new sense 2.0 so you can get a feel for the OS UI and curb the learning cure. Maybe look into accessories such as an SD card. Cases are coming out slowly, and while most people believe the Desire HD cases will fight the Inspire, I am still skeptical because of the curvature on the Inspire.

I would wait on ROMs. They are device specific and while most devs will probably mod their Desire ROMs, it may take some time to get it all working right.

Oh, also syn your contact with your gmail account so you can load them instantly to your phone without having to deal with the retail store doing it.

Other than that, I think just wait and get ready.

EDIT: Just say your Gtalk info in your sig so I guess you have gmail already lol

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I would be trolling market.android.com right now to get a feel for apps. That way day one you will be good to go. Also, if you don't have a gmail account, get one ready because you will definitely need one. Take a look at videos with the new sense 2.0 so you can get a feel for the OS UI and curb the learning cure. Maybe look into accessories such as an SD card. Cases are coming out slowly, and while most people believe the Desire HD cases will fight the Inspire, I am still skeptical because of the curvature on the Inspire.

I would wait on ROMs. They are device specific and while most devs will probably mod their Desire ROMs, it may take some time to get it all working right.

Oh, also syn your contact with your gmail account so you can load them instantly to your phone without having to deal with the retail store doing it.

Other than that, I think just wait and get ready.

EDIT: Just say your Gtalk info in your sig so I guess you have gmail already lol

Thanks for the info. I've had a gmail account for a while and I run sync on my BB so i'm good on that front. I'll check out the market now. I checked out seidio as I like their cases and they are showing cases for the Inspire already but like you said they are marketing them as Desire and Inspire cases. I'll wait a bit to see if they still fit.

Blanco720

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I have sent a few messages to HTCSoruce and Androidandme (these are typically the two groups I get responses from) via twitter asking for some type of confirmation of the interoperability of DHD and Inspire cases. Will update if I hear anything.

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I have sent a few messages to HTCSoruce and Androidandme (these are typically the two groups I get responses from) via twitter asking for some type of confirmation of the interoperability of DHD and Inspire cases. Will update if I hear anything.

Good call. Thanks!

Blanco720

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Okay, HTCSource got back to me and told me that he said this:

"from what I can tell, they are identical in every way. I'll contact HTC just to make sure"

Ill let you know if/when he follows up.

This is GREAT news.

Reactions: mrro82 and amy78c

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Saaweeeet!! oddly enough I got an email from seidio this morning about the new cases for the Inspire. Spooky. I've ordered from them before but that was for a BB case.

ZeroRilix

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
That's great!! So when custom ROMs come out for the DHD, we won't have to wait for the Inspire to get rooted.

Yup, should be able to use the same technique to root as on the DHD. XDA will let us know when they finally root it, and if the method is different from rooting the DHD.:)

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Just ordered the Innocase™ II Surface Combo - Black and a 2 pack of screen protectors in case I mess the first one up. This is awesome! Glad there are accessories right out of the gate. Helps that it's the same form factor as the Desire.

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I just read that otterbox cases for Desire will not fit the Inspire. Before you but, email them to make sure.

I didn't get the Otterbox case. The description specifically said Inspire. I made sure to read it 3 times before I bought it :) If it doesn't then I'll send it back. Not a huge issue as Seidio is a great company to work with.