Inspire vs EVO

ShippsAhoy

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I've been wanting to get into the Android world for a while now (10 year Blackberry user) and have been eyeing the EVO. However, I now see the Inspire and I'm very intrigued. Plus, I'm on AT&T already so I wouldn't have to switch networks. But, I'm not sure what the differences are between the Inspire and the EVO? I've heard people say the Inspire is the same as the Desire HD, but I don't even know what that means since I think that's a European phone. If anyone has some thoughts or advice about the differences to help me make my decision, I'd appreciate it!

Slapdaddy

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
As far as hardware goes, the Desire HD, EVO 4G, and Inspire 4G are very similar. The Inspire 4G is more akin to the Desire HD than the EVO 4G, but the Inspire has no front-facing camera and no HDMI out. I believe the EVO has only 512MB of RAM as where the Inspire 4G and Desire HD have 768MB of RAM. I'm know all three utilize Snapdragon processors, but the Inspire 4G uses the QSD(MSM)8255 which is manufactured on the 45nm process. (I read this on an Inspire 4G review) I am not sure which variants the other two run on. I also believe the Inspire and Desire HD have the same type of capacitive touch screen as where the EVO may have a different kind of panel. The Inspire also has more built-in storage (4GB, though most is probably used up with bloatware) and comes with, according to AT&T, an 8GB SDHC card pre-installed.

Software-wise, you're talking updated everything on the Inspire 4G vs the EVO 4G...on the stock phone that is.

I'm not sure how much else has changed or to what depth these changes go and I'm sure there are others here that know much more than I do about that. But I suggest you go check out a review or two...or three. :) I think I watched and read them all haha.

Last edited:

jpb07

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
As someone who was on Day 29 of 30 on a new Sprint contract with an EVO, I was relieved when AT&T announced the Inspire. As everyone has already mentioned, the Inspire is essentially an updated EVO. The HDMI out is no big deal with DNLA streaming and the front facing camera is a gimmick that I had no use for with the EVO.

The phone is slimmer by a fraction. However the HUGE drawback is the two door design which makes it harder to upgrade the battery. If you are goign to use it up to capabilities, plan on carrying a charger around all day. My EVO would always die at 3pm with a more powerful battery than what is packaged with the Inspire.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't the inspire have a newer architecture than the evo?

i dont think so but i may be wrong but im pretty sure the evo/desirehd / inspire use same architecture in the chip but it might be slightly different not a world of difference but subtle.

the main differences to an average user
evo has front facing camera, kickstand, wimax capability if you care, on sprint, wifi hotspot capability.

inspire: global capabilities, aluminum unibody housing, i think the ispire has 250mb more ram because i know it has like 750 but idk if the evo is 512 or 750.

they both have: 4.3" screens same resolution (i believe) android 2.2 with sense(both likely to see gingerbread) more than capable high end devices! if at&t is good in your area and your contract is not up go inspire, if your contract is up and at&t is not good or sprint is better go with the evo because you will get a cheaper plan and unlimited data. But pick your carrier first.

Reactions: Ryan Roland

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
But pick your carrier first.

Ahh well said, that is the most important factor. The amount you pay for 2 years of service is WAAAAY more than the price you pay to use 1 phone for 2 years so make sure you never buy a phone before a carrier no matter the price. Thats what the industry has conditioned the masses to do. They jump on free phones or Buy one get one free offers and dont think twice but then complain for two years about service and reception then in two years when their contract is up they go shopping for another "good deal" and end up repeating their first mistake again and complain for another two years.

Anybody know someone like this? I'm sure you do. But the people that are happy with their carrier will just wait for a phone they like on that carrier and never really complain because they did not fall for the wireless deals

ShippsAhoy

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Great info! Thanks everyone. It seems to me that the hardware is essentially the same. I don't care about the ffc or hdmi. When it comes to carrier, I've only known AT&T here in the Seattle area and it seems fine. I travel a lot and I always have coverage with AT&T. As for rate plans, I think I found a trap that I was about to step into...Sprint's $69 plan is appealing, however, when you add another phone (my wife) and go to their shared plan it's actually more than with AT&T's shared plan. I think I will stick with AT&T. Plus the Inspire is only $99 vs the EVO at $199!

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
just real quick, with at&t's new unl mobile to any mobile plan you can save even more by going to the lowest minute plan and add unl texting and you wont have to worry about minutes cuz all your m2m is free on any carrier. NICE!! i have 5 lines on 700 and we've been eating through our rollover but now its not going to be an issue

ShippsAhoy

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Good point Ryan. I too was excited to hear that change from AT&T. Free m2m was what i liked about Sprint, but now i can get that plus rollover! Now I'm excited about getting my Inspire this weekend!

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
yea the mobile to mobile is nice but i rarely make calls from my cell since i use my office phone i have like 3000 rollover minutes built up on the lowest minute plan lol :) but i might sign up for it just in case.

the one thing i want to try is see if i can raise a fuss and get unlimited data back like at&t is offering iphone customers.

gtalum

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is also that the Inspire's processor is more energy efficient, thus negating any negative effects from the smaller battery.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what your total is with att but unless your on an old plan you will have a cap on data. With sprint you wont and Seattle does have WiMax. The sprint eprp plan is 110 bucks for the first two lines just fyi. And you both have unlimited data. I don't think that's the case with att. When I priced out their plans it was almost that much just for the first two lines and messaging.