data allotment to use google voice?

js6218

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm planning on getting the Inspire 4G when my contract's up at the end of the month, and I have a question about using google voice. I text about 2,000 times a month (roughly) and talk less than 100 minutes. I'm usually at my school or at my house, both of which have wifi. Is the 2GB plan too small to use google voice? If I did, how much data would I have left per month, about? Is there a calculator somewhere I can figure this all out? Thanks! :)

ZeroRilix

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm planning on getting the Inspire 4G when my contract's up at the end of the month, and I have a question about using google voice. I text about 2,000 times a month (roughly) and talk less than 100 minutes. I'm usually at my school or at my house, both of which have wifi. Is the 2GB plan too small to use google voice? If I did, how much data would I have left per month, about? Is there a calculator somewhere I can figure this all out? Thanks! :)

This should help

AT&T Data Calculator

js6218

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm on AT&T right now. I've got an iphone 3G so I'll be upgrading from that. I've got the 2GB plan right now. I looked into the at&t data calculator but I don't see anywhere for minutes or text messages.

kimtyson

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Texting is not data usage, so not on the calculator.
If using wifi then obviously no data usage.
Why not try the 2Gb and monitor your usage. Then make an adjustment if needed.

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I use android and I'm on the internet on my phone about 3 hours a day and have all the other things running on my phone using data and I hardly use wifi and I've yet to break 1GB. if that is any indicator. If you have wifi at work then you will save a big chunk of data. I used 4 hours of Google maps navigation the other day and im still not even close to 600mb with 12 days to go. U should be fine. Its if you use pdanet that I would monitor your usage.

*3282# send, try it on your iphone and you can get an idea of where you're at now

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
How is that, does google voice actually uses the real phone application?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you dial with GV, GV uses data to make the intial dial-out, but uses minutes to patch you in (I know this is very non-technical).

Basically, you are being charged for the duration of the call between your "real" number and your GV number.

So, one way to get around that is to get a Friends/family/faves type plan and add your GV number as one of the faves. You would also need a free dialer program (there are a few on the market). For example, Sprint Pick 3/5 of Sprint@home would work.

GV plus Sipdroid/Gizmo5 is another solution.

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
gooogle voice is not voice over IP

uses your minutes

however text msg over google voice is done over the internet
txt will use very minimal data i believe and there is no picture messaging available

you can completely remove text messaging plan and use google voice to text or gtalk to chat

but you cannot make internet calls over google voice on android
however you can make and receive calls in gmail via windows, mac or linux

garvus

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty sure if GVoice is using your minutes you configured it improperly. The Dialer app can use Google Voice but still send signal via cell radio. Set it up to use data only... and set Gvoice to do the call back option where it calls someone then calls you back == free.

Manofmayo

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Here's a sufficient answer for you; Skype voice will use 1 mb per minute of talk and 3 mb per minute if it's skpe to skype, (no video in either). Google is more efficient with there data so you will use 100 mb or less for you're 100 minutes of talk time if you're only calling land lines and mobile phones, and you don't accidenly use video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez