turning off hspa

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
If you go into Wireless & Networks and Mobile Networks, there might be an option for edge only, and I'm sure there's a widget on the market that will do it. Sorry if I'm wrong, I can't check right now because I don't have my phone.

speeddevil45678

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
ive looked through and through but nothing and so far nothing on the market but thanks for the idea though, hopefully something will pop up eventually :)
Thank you!

Bzow

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Any more news on this? Since AT&T doesn't have HSPA enabled in most markets, it would be nice to be able to toggle this setting.

KCMike

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
This begs the question - Does the Inspire actually have 4G? I've read about it quite a bit & know a bit about HSPA, but would like to learn more.

On my phone, there is an H+. What does this stand for? Also, what does the H with the check mark underneath it mean?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
This begs the question - Does the Inspire actually have 4G? I've read about it quite a bit & know a bit about HSPA, but would like to learn more.

On my phone, there is an H+. What does this stand for? Also, what does the H with the check mark underneath it mean?

H+ is HSPA+, which is AT&T's "4G". I'll save you the whole argument on that.

AT&T has HSPA+ turned on over a lot of their network, but the backhaul hasn't been upgraded yet to handle the speeds. Basically, you're just getting 3G speeds on a "4G" network. Luckily, I don't think HSPA+ hogs battery any more than HSPA, since it's the same technology.

As for disabling HSPA: If you live in an area without it, it isn't going to be hogging battery. The only time it would be an issue is if you're on the edge of Edge (ha) and 3G, when the radio is flipping back and forth and constantly searching.

KCMike

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply ls377. My question is why does my phone go from H+ to the "x" (which is no bars I'm assuming). I had the Win7 phone before the Inspire (Samsung Focus) and the 3G reception seemed much better. The coverage at my house is awful & I've gone with AT&T due to the improved coverage over my past carrier - T-Mobile.

Btw, & not meaning to change the subject, but how are your Bulldogs gonna be this year in football? I'm a Mizzou fan. Not sure if you seen it but we lost our coach to the SEC this past week.

Bzow

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I believe that yes, the Inspire does have 4G capabilities but AT&T doesn't have that part of the network available everywhere yet. The H+ means that HSPA+ is available and if the arrows next to it are lighting up, it means that you're using it. The H with a checkmark means that HSPA+ is available, but you are not currently connected to it and not using it. For me, this shows up when my phone has been in idle mode for quite some time or if I have WIFI turned on.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply ls377. My question is why does my phone go from H+ to the "x" (which is no bars I'm assuming). I had the Win7 phone before the Inspire (Samsung Focus) and the 3G reception seemed much better. The coverage at my house is awful & I've gone with AT&T due to the improved coverage over my past carrier - T-Mobile.

Does it drop in areas where you used to have signal? That sounds like a phone problem, HSPA+ shouldn't affect how the rest of the network works.

Btw, & not meaning to change the subject, but how are your Bulldogs gonna be this year in football? I'm a Mizzou fan. Not sure if you seen it but we lost our coach to the SEC this past week.

I didn't see that. Which school?

I really don't know how they'll be this year. We're at this weird point where we could be SEC champs or a losing team. The defense is still getting used to the 3-4, and a lot of it depends on the progress there. The east is weak though, so if all the pieces fall into place, we'll be a force.

KCMike

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Like I'd mentioned, the signal up around my house is awful, however I thought Edge would at least pop up. It's a brand new phone so I'll have to keep an eye on it. I'll do a test with my wife's phone this evening as well.

The school? Arkansas

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Like I'd mentioned, the signal up around my house is awful, however I thought Edge would at least pop up. It's a brand new phone so I'll have to keep an eye on it. I'll do a test with my wife's phone this evening as well.

The school? Arkansas

Odd, it should drop down to Edge.

Never heard that. I need to pay more attention lol.

Tigger76

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
<snip>Also, what does the H with the check mark underneath it mean?

The H with the check mark underneath means that the phone has a connection to the AT&T HSPA network but is using a different connection for data (like wifi). I get this symbol at home when my phone is using my wifi network connection, even though the HSPA+ is available.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
HSPA+ is not 4G. Look it up. It can support speeds comparable to the 4G standard (if AT&T would allow it). Also, there are 4 network indicators - X meaning no connection, G meaning GPRS, E meaning EDGE and H+ meaning HSPA or above.

Check 3gpp.org

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12