[Guide] Installing Swype Beta on HTC Inspire 4G

Dawgtrix

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Same for me >>In step one, my file was AC_SWM not AC-SWM. Now I'm stuck at step 6. I get this message: remote object '/mnt/sdcard/download/Swype-Installer.apk' does not exist
Do I need to open my email? Sorry for the NOOB question, please help.

stephlynn0215

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
make sure you have htc sync installed on your system and enable debug mode on your phone.

and then what? this is where im stuck too, on step 4. i dont get it. where do i open a command prompt? when i click start, there is no "run" to click on? im a total noob, just got my phone yesterday.

BoxerBob

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I was able to get Swype installed and everything, I can even see the option under my Language and Keyboard settings and I have it checked .... But it's not changing it!! I can't even use the Swype tutorial, it asks to "Select Input Method" and the only option is Touch Input. I select it and nothing happens ... it's not letting me type with Swype and I'm pulling my hair out.

dvine81

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
This took for ever!!!

Finally got this to work, thank you so much!! It was the stupid spaces that kept messing me up. Space or not to space that is the question, LMAO. :D

Thanks again
Do you have a donation site?

Ess2s2

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I scanned through this thread and didn't see this question mentioned... apologies if it has been answered before.

If I follow this process, am I, at any point, rooting my phone or doing anything that would otherwise void my warranty?

You aren't rooting your phone, that is a very specific process that at this point is quite involved, even moreso than what is outlined here. If you were rooting, you would definitely know it.

As far as voiding your warranty, that's more of a gray area, particularly with AT&T. What this guide is showing you is a process known as "sideloading" whereby you circumvent the normal restrictions placed on installing 3rd party applications. Does AT&T want you to do this? Not really. Can they take you to task over your warranty if you do? Quite possibly.

thenewmcq

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Thank you a billion! perfectly described tutorial... worked wonders, and i have Swype running beautifully on my Inspire now... I also notice it has the android microphone built in for voice to txt which my Captivate did not have (you had to pick one or the other)

jbr252

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Worked like a charm! Someone needs to do a YouTube video or add screen shots for us non-techies. I had to use a PC instead of my Mac but that was just because I'm not good with a Mac.

I moved to Droid from my iPhone mainly for Swype and I was so disappointed when the Inspire didn't have Swype.

Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU!!

leszer

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I didn't see anyone mention it above but is the beta on trial? My swype won't work stating the trial period has run out. We have a work around or fix? I didn't see anywhere requiring me to buy swype.

ziahassan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Okay, figured it out, but had some weird issues along the way. I woke up this morning and saw the message that my trial period was over, so I tapped okay and I wasn't able to bring up the regular keyboard, or any keyboard at all.

I did a soft reset and got the old keyboard back. I uninstalled the swype installer, and deleted the Swype-Installer downloads (I had tried a couple of times so there were a few different copies in my downloads). I deleted every trace of Swype and then went through the instructions again.

good as new! Thanks again to the OP.

ziahassan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
One thing to add - not sure why, but when I plug my phone into my computer, windows senses that the phone is plugged in, but HTC sync does not. It tells me that I need to disconnect and wait 10 seconds. I just ignored this and the Swype re-install still worked... but I suppose I should look into that issue next.

wellheller

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
When installing after step 7 and I run it on my phone it the swipe installer says “Checking installer version” and Then it tells me to update and when its done it says that the file has been blocked because of 3rd parties! I had my swipe working before but when I tried this morning it said trail period ended.

Jimbo5000

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I had the same message others were getting about the trial ending. I saw that there was an upgrade, so I removed everything swype related, including the installer and went through the steps again.

One thing I noticed, the forums at Swype indicate the newest version is 2.29.71.20084, but after installing mine says I have 2.29.71.20203.

pivotman55

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Swype

Mine said trial expired too. But they just updated the Beta. You need to uninstall swype and the installer from the phone, download the installer again which will give you the latest updated one, and follow the steps again. I did it this morning on my phone and it worked as well as it gave me a different software number than my wifes phone. Good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781