[Guide] Installing Swype Beta on HTC Inspire 4G

skroll

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Windows users get these:
1) http://forum.androidcentral.com/and...40770-ac-sideload-wonder-machine-windows.html
2) Application - HTC Sync for all HTC Android Phones

Linux/Mac users get this:
1) http://forum.androidcentral.com/and.../24362-sideload-wonder-machine-linux-mac.html

Steps:
1)
Windows: Install HTC sync, reboot afterwards to ensure the drivers are snuggled into your system. Install Sideload Wonder Machine by downloading the zip file in the link I posted, and copy the AC-SWM directory into C:\ (for simplicity)
Mac/Linux: Download the Sideload Wonder Machine zip in the link, open it and extract it somewhere. Open a terminal and type: "cd /path/to/directory", then, "chmod +x swm-install.sh", then "./swm-install.sh". On the mac, it will point you to a URL that contains the package, for linux it will install it automatically.

2) Ensure your device has USB debug mode enabled, to do this, go to Settings -> Applications -> Development, and check the "USB Debugging" option.

3) Plug your phone in to your computer, make sure you are in "Charge Only" Mode. (drag the notification bar at the top down to see what mode you're in, tap to change it, make sure you hit DONE).

4)
Windows:
Open up a command prompt (Start -> Run, type "cmd") and then type: "cd C:\AC-SWM"
Type "adb devices"
You SHOULD see an HTC device listed. If not, you either didn't enable debugging or your drivers are not correct. If you do not see a device, STOP.

Mac/Linux
Open up your favorite terminal, type "cd /path/to/where/you/extracted/it" and type "./adb devices"
You SHOULD see an HTC device listed. If not either there's a problem with your USB connection or you didn't enable USB debugging. If you do not see a device, STOP.

5) Sign up for the swype beta if you haven't already, and after you have gone through the process and they sent you your download link, DOWNLOAD the file to your device.

6)
Windows: type: "adb pull /mnt/sdcard/download/Swype-Installer.apk Swype-Installer.apk", this will download the installer to your local machine. If there's a problem it's most likely that your device is in USB disk drive mode, and your computer is mounting your filesystem. Make sure you are in charge mode.

Mac/Linux: type: "./adb pull /mnt/sdcard/download/Swype-Installer.apk ./Swype-Installer.apk", this will download the installer to your local machine. If there's a problem it's most likely that your device is in USB disk drive mode, and your computer is mounting your filesystem. Make sure you are in charge mode.

7)
Windows: type: "adb install Swype-Installer.apk"
Mac/Linux: type: "./adb install ./Swype-Installer.apk"

8) You may need to restart your phone to see the installer, but under your applications, you SHOULD see "Swype Installer". Run it.

9) During the install, you can pick either Swype Full or Swype English/Spanish, pick your version.

10) A warning will pop up saying that applications from outside the marketplace cannot be installed. DON'T WORRY, BUT DON'T CLICK ANYTHING YET.

11)
Windows: type "adb pull /data/data/com.swype.android.installer/files/mypackage.apk ./mypackage.apk"
Mac/Linux: type "./adb pull /data/data/com.swype.android.installer/files/mypackage.apk ./mypackage.apk"

12)
Windows: type "adb install mypackage.apk"
Mac/Linux: type "./adb install ./mypackage.apk"

13) Click the "Cancel" button on the warning, install should proceed as normal! If not, just run the installer again, it'll pick up the package and you are all set.

If you don't get the Swype keyboard, make sure the Swype installer was completed, you can always start it again. If it IS complete and you still don't see it, reboot your phone.

Also, to enable/disable Swype, go to Settings -> Language & keyboard and make sure "Swype" is checked.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Last edited:

Cwluc

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm having an issue with getting steps 11-12 to work. It appears up until then everything is going smoothly, I picked Swype full and didn't press anything at the pop up and then I get this in my cmd window:
C:\AC_SWM>adb pull/data/data/com.swype.android.installer/files/mypackage.apk ./m
ypackage.apk
Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.26

-d - directs command to the only connected USB devic
e
returns an error if more than one USB device is
present.
-e - directs command to the only running emulator.
returns an error if more than one emulator is r
unning.
-s <serial number> - directs command to the USB device or emulator w
ith
the given serial number. Overrides ANDROID_SERI
AL
environment variable.
-p <product name or path> - simple product name like 'sooner', or
a relative/absolute path to a product
out directory like 'out/target/product/sooner'.

If -p is not specified, the ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT

environment variable is used, which must
be an absolute path.
devices - list all connected devices
connect <host>:<port> - connect to a device via TCP/IP
disconnect <host>:<port> - disconnect from a TCP/IP device

device commands:
adb push <local> <remote> - copy file/dir to device
adb pull <remote> [<local>] - copy file/dir from device
adb sync [ <directory> ] - copy host->device only if changed
(see 'adb help all')
adb shell - run remote shell interactively
adb shell <command> - run remote shell command
adb emu <command> - run emulator console command
adb logcat [ <filter-spec> ] - View device log
adb forward <local> <remote> - forward socket connections
forward specs are one of:
tcp:<port>
localabstract:<unix domain socket name>
localreserved:<unix domain socket name>
localfilesystem:<unix domain socket name>
dev:<character device name>
jdwp:<process pid> (remote only)
adb jdwp - list PIDs of processes hosting a JDWP transport

adb install [-l] [-r] [-s] <file> - push this package file to the device and i
nstall it
('-l' means forward-lock the app)
('-r' means reinstall the app, keeping its data
)
('-s' means install on SD card instead of inter
nal storage)
adb uninstall [-k] <package> - remove this app package from the device
('-k' means keep the data and cache directories
)
adb bugreport - return all information from the device
that should be included in a bug report.

adb help - show this help message
adb version - show version num

DATAOPTS:
(no option) - don't touch the data partition
-w - wipe the data partition
-d - flash the data partition

scripting:
adb wait-for-device - block until device is online
adb start-server - ensure that there is a server running
adb kill-server - kill the server if it is running
adb get-state - prints: offline | bootloader | device
adb get-serialno - prints: <serial-number>
adb status-window - continuously print device status for a specifie
d device
adb remount - remounts the /system partition on the device re
ad-write
adb reboot [bootloader|recovery] - reboots the device, optionally into the boo
tloader or recovery program
adb reboot-bootloader - reboots the device into the bootloader
adb root - restarts the adbd daemon with root permissions
adb usb - restarts the adbd daemon listening on USB
adb tcpip <port> - restarts the adbd daemon listening on TCP on th
e specified port
networking:
adb ppp <tty> [parameters] - Run PPP over USB.
Note: you should not automatically start a PPP connection.
<tty> refers to the tty for PPP stream. Eg. dev:/dev/omap_csmi_tty1
[parameters] - Eg. defaultroute debug dump local notty usepeerdns

adb sync notes: adb sync [ <directory> ]
<localdir> can be interpreted in several ways:

- If <directory> is not specified, both /system and /data partitions will be u
pdated.

- If it is "system" or "data", only the corresponding partition
is updated.

C:\AC_SWM>

Last edited:
Reactions: JQuacker

skroll

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
There was a typo in my guide (which I now corrected), but put a space between pull and /, so it's

adb pull /data/data/com.swype.android.installer/files/mypackage.apk ./mypackage.apk

Last edited:
Reactions: riddmkidd

100larski

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I get:
remonte object 'adb pull /data/data/com.swype.android.installer/files/mypackage.apk ./mypackage.apk' does not exist

Is there another way to get the mypackage.apk file out of the phone and load it thru the side wonder machine?

Cwluc

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
There was a typo in my guide (which I now corrected), but put a space between pull and /, so it's

adb pull /data/data/com.swype.android.installer/files/mypackage.apk ./mypackage.apk

Thank you. Works fine now.

remonte object 'adb pull /data/data/com.swype.android.installer/files/mypackage.apk ./mypackage.apk' does not exist

Is there another way to get the mypackage.apk file out of the phone and load it thru the side wonder machine?

Yeah I had the same trouble, there was a missing space.. or a space not... wherever. It's been updated, works fine now.

skroll

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

Make sure you don't close the warning about not letting apps outside the market to be installed

100larski

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
When my warning shows up I leave it there and run: adb pull /data/data/com.swype.android.installer/files/mypackage.apk ./mypackage.apk but it tells me " does not exist" so I'm stuck on step 11.
Is it possible that my directory is different since my install file was never under sdcard it was under download.

Thanks for your help.

100larski

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok I got it just had to find a right .apk file online WVGA.2.15.56.14870-English and used SWM to load it :) Now this phone rocks just have to root it and delete all Att crapware.

skroll

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi Hello everyone quick question. When I type cd C\AC-SWM it tell me basically it doesn't exist or can't find it. Can you guys help or know why..?

Did you make sure to extract the zip into C:\ ? Basically in Windows Explorer you should be seeing "AC-SWM" on your disk. If not, you can open the .zip again and copy the AC-SWM directory from it into your C:\

bfrank

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Did you make sure to extract the zip into C:\ ? Basically in Windows Explorer you should be seeing "AC-SWM" on your disk. If not, you can open the .zip again and copy the AC-SWM directory from it into your C:\

I found unzip made a root and a sub directory. in otherwords

C:\AC-SWM\AC-SWM

Check that and then just move the files from the sub director to the root and it worked

sw33ndawg

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
So everything went smoothly. I have Swype installed and it is activated under my settings.. however there is no Swype keyboard (still stock). I tried restarting the phone but that didn't solve the issue. Any ideas?

kb58

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
So everything went smoothly. I have Swype installed and it is activated under my settings.. however there is no Swype keyboard (still stock). I tried restarting the phone but that didn't solve the issue. Any ideas?
Same here. I see you figured it out, so please share!