1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Default Removing AT&T bloatware?

Definitely thinking about picking this phone up soon but want to know how to remove AT&T bloatware and stuff. I don't want to root the entire thing, just get rid of all of AT&T's bloatware. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Global Posts
    5,131 Global Posts

Simple answer , you need root to remove it
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sooks View Post
    Simple answer , you need root to remove it
    Really? There isn't a better way? Shucks.

Global Posts
    5,131 Global Posts

sadly its the only way at this point. And really once you have root it is very easy to do. dont let root scare you, its a very very fun thing

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts

I have a question. Is there a wait to Root and the phone but keep the same ROM? Also, is it better to wait for 1-Click Root or is the manual way the same thing?

One last question, if you manually root, can you unroot the phone?

Global Posts
    5,131 Global Posts

When you "root" all your doing is gaining "super user" permissions which allows you to modify system structures you wouldn't normally have access to such has the ability to over clock the processor. So yes you can root, and keep the same ROM. If you know what your doing , there is no reason to wait for the one click root, but if you are simi new i would wait. They are the same root, just the steps of the manual one are more intense.

If you manually root or one click root ( the same thing ) there are ways to un root the phone yes. Is it easy on the inspire , not sure yet.

You can actually remove the bloatware and keep the stock rom. Props to this guy at xda who figured it out.

Current: HTC One (M8)
    Retired: HTC One (M7), iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Inspire 4G, Nexus One, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G
    Thanked by:
    Nchaka 

Global Posts
    5,131 Global Posts

Wow i stand corrected, thats awesome !

Yeah it just uses attn1's "Hack Pack" to get temp root etc
    Current: HTC One (M8)
    Retired: HTC One (M7), iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Inspire 4G, Nexus One, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G

Global Posts
    5,131 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlk View Post
    Yeah it just uses attn1's "Hack Pack" to get temp root etc
    Ah, smart man lol. Never thought of doing that under temp #

ROM
    Stock

is there gonna be an easier way to do this cuz i am lost

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

First off you don't want to remove/delete/uninstall the bloatware as that will prevent you from getting OTA updates on your phone in the future unless you put them all back in the right place and reset the UNIX permissions correctly.

Instead you should freeze them with an app such as Titanium Backup Premium or my own app Bloat Freezer.

Freezing allows you to defrost the apps at anytime to get an OTA update or just run an app that you previously froze while completely hiding the app from your phone so it does not show up or run on its own consuming memory, cpu, and network data.

Sadly, both apps require you to be rooted, but even temp root should do just fine.