Recommendation? This is for verteran smartphone users.

ZeroRilix

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I read this on maximumpc.com:

Pre-charging Tip

"Regardless of the specific smartphone you received for the holidays, the weakest link is likely its battery. Treating your Li-ion with respect will not only extend the life and usefulness of your new phone, but also boost its resale value—just in case you decide to dump to back on the market prematurely. Lucky for you, almost all the major manufacturers offer guidance here, including Palm, Apple, and BlackBerry. What they won't tell you, however, is that you must resist the urge to immediately charge your smartphone. Yup, let that 30-60 percent charge go down to zero before plugging in. Juicing up your smartphone in its half-charged state will make the battery components settle faster. That, in turn, will mean it won't be able to re-charge as efficiently in the future. Ideally, you should always wait for the battery to drain before recharging to maintain good health, but the occasional slip won't matter much. If you really want to understand these fickle little bricks, check out our Giz explains feature on why batteries die."

I'm asking the ones who have used smartphones for the past few years, does this advice seem sound? Maximum PC is very accurate on a lot of things they post. I'm pretty sure they might be right about this one, I'm just wanting to be sure. We were told differentely when we all were using "dumbphones" in the early 2000's before the first smartphone came out. We were told to charge before use, and now this article challenges that. I'm getting my Inspire in a few more days, and it's going to be my very first smartphone. I want to take very good care of it out of the box. I want to know who all agrees with this part of that article, and if I should follow it when I get finally get my Inspire? Thanks in advance of all replies to this post.

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Could be true
You should drain your battery (until it dies) at least once a month , that will increase the life time of your battery

Reactions: ZeroRilix

MissingBonobo

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
From what I understand, Nickel-Cadmium batteries had that problem, but Lithium-Ion batteries don't have any such issues. I dint think it matters hoe you charge it as long as you calibrated the device to read the full battery every once in a while.

See: ooolalacey's link.

Reactions: ZeroRilix

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Technically it's a Lithium ion Polymer battery, but they are very similar to Lithium Ion batteries. Depleting the cell completely will render it inert, or at least damage it badly. Luckily, there is circuitry in the battery itself to prevent this from happening. So use it to your hearts content.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad