Speed Comparison (Inspire 4G Vs. Iphone 4 3G)

mrsdealchecker

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
i have both phones on the att network and i thought that since the inspire is on 4g it would be much faster but i was wrong..

i downloaded the speedtest.net app on both phones and did a speed test on both side by side (confirmed that only 3g was enabled and wifi was disabled on both phones)

after mulitple simultaneous tests, the best upload speed that the inspire gave me was 2mbps and the iphone 4 was constantly above 4.5mbps with max at 6mbps.

Can any one do a similar test to confirm this.. do i need to tweak my inspire so that it give me better speed consideing the fact that its on the 4 g netowrk?

Griffspen

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Do we know all of the variables? Do you have the 4G SIM card? Are you in an area of 4G?

Also, how do the web page load times compare? If you load a large site on both phones is the iPhone 4 also 2-3 times faster? Maybe the speedtest just reads differently on each phone or isn't performing how we think it is.....

antioch216#AC

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
it's not true 4G, or even HSPA+. It's been disabled for all phones except ihpone 4g. Give to the end of March, and the AT&T backhaul should be launched giving true HSPA+ to all compatible devices.

ZeroRilix

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
it's not true 4G, or even HSPA+. It's been disabled for all phones except ihpone 4g. Give to the end of March, and the AT&T backhaul should be launched giving true HSPA+ to all compatible devices.

I agree, this is exactly what I've been reading and hearing everywhere about this issue.

Here's the article from Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/23/atandts-brewing-hsupa-gate-the-inside-story/

Here's the article from PocketNow: http://pocketnow.com/android/att-enabling-hsupa-for-androids-in-a-couple-months

Last edited:

ARTO

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
i have both phones on the att network and i thought that since the inspire is on 4g it would be much faster but i was wrong..

i downloaded the speedtest.net app on both phones and did a speed test on both side by side (confirmed that only 3g was enabled and wifi was disabled on both phones)

after mulitple simultaneous tests, the best upload speed that the inspire gave me was 2mbps and the iphone 4 was constantly above 4.5mbps with max at 6mbps.

Can any one do a similar test to confirm this.. do i need to tweak my inspire so that it give me better speed consideing the fact that its on the 4 g netowrk?

I get around 4.5 on my inspire all the time

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Slap 4G on something and people will buy it. Even if your network isn't upgraded to it yet. Sooner rather than later will help the backlash but then again this is ATT.

CutRiteFX

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Its been all over about AT&T starting to roll out 4G in March. This is no surprise.

My speeds on iPhone 4 and Inspire 4g seem to be about the same. I get around 1.8 down to 2.5 and uploads in the 300's kbps. These speeds are fine for now. No complaints here.

But I must say the inspire is much better for me then the iPhone.

alent1234

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
just traded my 3GS for an Inspire and even though a lot of things were better on the iphone i love the screen and some of the widgets. was jailbroken for a while and it was more of a PITA than anything

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't see the huge deal about the upload speed. I get about 900kbps. I'm not uploading a laptop backup via the ATT network. Just my opinion.

netposer

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I rand simultaneous speed tests (speedtest.net app) on the Inspire and the Atrix and the results were all over the place. One test would show the Inspire getting around 1 Megabit down while the Atrix was getting around 500 K.

It made no sense as the phones were in the passenger seat running the same tests on the same network from the same server. I probably ran 20 speed tests and they both differed wildly except for the upload speeds which never got above 337 K.

alent1234

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
i've been on my Inspire less than a week and coming from a 3GS. one thing i noticed is that the phone/radio part is much better than the iphone, especially in lower signal areas. it even works in the elevator

Laceeey

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
mines not rooted, hubs has and iphone 4, we both tried speed test at same time and the download speeds were about the same and his upload speed about tripled mine.

Cuda

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I tested my new Inspire against a friends old IPhone3g last night, both using speedtest.net and we are both on ATT and I got 2.5 mbps down and 1.4 up and his phone would not even connect at that location, I have gotten as high as 3.9 mbps at my home location with wi-fi off.

homescrub

Mar 1, 2011
twitter.com
iPhone 4 has old hardware, especially since my iPhone 4 now sits in my home collecting dust never to be touched again other than giving it to my kids to play with.

As far as speed - its the same, for now, until AT&T puts up their HSPA+ network.