Free Hotspot - NO root - EASY.
06-01-2013 06:32 AM
- So, I've figured out how to enable the Wi-Fi Hotspot without having the feature on my AT&T account, and WITHOUT rooting. It requires a restart to enable it each time but it's extremely easy to do. Not promising it'll work on anyone else's phone, but it works on mine every time.
1. Yank the SIM and confirm "Restart".
2. Insert the SIM and wait for boot. (Note: Leave SIM/SD conver OFF)
3. Turn on Hotspot (Settings > Wireless & networks)
4. Replace SIM/SD cover.
Video of the process coming. Unfortunately this whole no HSUPA thing is slowing down the upload.
Does it work on yours?02-25-2011 11:16 PM
- The problem with using the stock tethering/hotspot is exactly what was mentioned above. Without a hack if you use the stock app AT&T will most likely see you used your device to tether/provide hotspot and charge you. I currently have an iPhone 4 (waiting for my Inspire to arrive Monday) and the jailbreak tweaks trick the phone into thinking the tethering is actually just phone internet use instead of tethering/hotspot. I'd be careful of doing it this way.
Check on AT&T's site and check your usage. Look under data and click on your current usage number. It will tell you what was used. If you see tethering or whatnot that means they are aware of you tethering.02-27-2011 03:53 AM
- ive been watching this thread for a while hoping for him to respond. but since he hasnt, ive decided to take the risk of being charged and testing it out. im using the hot spot right now (enabled by this trick)
i am granfathered in with unlimited data, i will report back every other day to see if at&t catches on.
wish me luck!!
this is my usage after aprox. 25 minutes with hotspot enabled
PS i noticed, once you turn hotspot off it will not let you re-enable it; you have to go through the sim removing steps again03-13-2011 12:55 PM
- To those of you using this "trick" or other purchased Tether applications that "PROMISE" you that you won't see AT&T charges, just be PATIENT. AT&T will be getting in touch with you. I recently went on an extended vacation and did not want to bother with contacting AT&T about starting tethering and then stopping it when I got back, so I purchased a $9.99 application that said no charges would ensue from the carrier if this application was used. Well, I bought and used the application. It worked great. Good strong, fast connections. About a month after I returned from vacation, I received a letter from AT&T stating that if I wished to continue tethering, that I needed to begin a tethering program that would cost either $40 / month or $45 / month, depending on features, and that I needed to contact them immediately to tell them which program I wished to sign-up for or they would automatically enroll me in one or the other, depending on my previous tethering usage. BE PATIENT, the letter is coming.11-30-2011 02:05 AM
- ATT Inspire 4G here,nothing like getting 4g when it doesn't exist....rarely...
I used PDANet for about 6 months and ATT started catching on when my data plan started running over 2GB per month. Once they notice you they want to up your data plan to 4GB for $40.....if you use that much there isn't really any extra charge except for the fact that if you don't use it you are paying for it......
If you do go with the 4GB plan and hotspot you will find your phone is useless as a phone. Seriously.
Hotspot to me useless that being the case.
...JUST ANOTHER WAY ATT OVERCHARGES.......but their services work here in Fort Worth better than anyone else except Verizon which is costlier.........
You will generally get what you pay for......12-18-2011 07:54 AM
- I don't have an android phone but I use blackberry. But I downloaded the OS from Rogers to my phone and have used the mobile hotspot on my phone for about 2 years now. The only thing ATT understands is that data is being used. I have a great plan, unlimited data worldwide with ATT and have used the mobile hotspot anywhere from USA to Jungles of Congo to the Sahara of Tunisia and Algeria and have never been charged for tethering.06-01-2013 06:32 AM
- More Android Goodness
- The Archives
- Android Central Archives
- AT&T Inspire 4G
Free Hotspot - NO root - EASY.
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD