Some official information about your sim cards

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
So if I go into my (Chicago area) AT&T store tomorrow and say I would like the new sim, they're not going to deny me? I think I'll call first. Plus, why couldn't/wouldn't they get these out when the Inspire came out 2 weeks ago?

Last edited:

gots2beme

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
NewSimcard-1.jpg

NewSimcard1.jpg

well this is the one they gave me when I got my inspire on day one so I should be all set. :)

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
gots2beme - what part of the country are you in? I'm in the Chicago area and they gave me a 3G card in mine.

gots2beme

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
gots2beme - what part of the country are you in? I'm in the Chicago area and they gave me a 3G card in mine.

North Carolina, I live in Durham but I picked up my Inspire in Charlotte. I just happened to be in Charlotte when the phone was released on the 2/13.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Duh on me - now I see where it says you're in NC. AT&T's coverage map shows that they have 4G coverage all over my area, so I don't see why they wouldn't be installing the 4G sims. We'll find out today if I can get one.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Just spoke with my local AT&T store (it is a corporate store) and they said they know about the new sim cards and would be happy to give me one, but they haven't received them yet and don't know when they will. Pretty strange for such a large market that supposedly already has 4G coverage. I think I'll try calling that 800 number.

homescrub

Mar 1, 2011
twitter.com
How can I tell if I have the correct new 4G sim card?

look at the picture above. its blank. has no 3G symbol.

I went to the AT&T store today to replace my old sim card for the new one.

Employe #1: Confused, has me call customer service.

Erm, all I wanted to do, was get the new sim card. because everyone is doing it.

Employee #1: call customer service, they have to do the switch for you if the sim card didn't come with the phone.

Erm, I have the phone, you have the sim cards, just switch it here. i don't need to do anything else.

Employee #1: call customer service...here is the phone.. (get a rep...)

CS Rep #1: um, we need to update your IMEI, and attach your new SIM, for the 4G data plan.

Erm, 4G isn't out yet in this area. I just want to switch sim cards, so that when it does deploy, i have the right sim.

CS Rep #1: I have to get my manager...(45 minutes later) *line hangs up*

store employee #2: so you just want the new sim right?

Erm, yes..I've been here for over an hour, and they, AT&T phone rep wanted to charge me a $45 data plan fee for 4G services, which isn't even deployed yet in the DC area. $45 for 3G speeds on a 4G plan is stupid.

store employee #2: done.

I resync my emails, and I am out the door 65 minutes later.

AT&T reps are dumb. Sorry, some of you are slow and incompetent as hell. I didn't ask to upgrade my data plan, which they wanted to add tethering to my plan, which I don't need. The CS Rep over the phone thought that a tethering plan was the 4G plan. Really!? Mute.

AT&T Reps, please, train your people right.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I just got off the phone with customer service. Told him that I wanted the 4G sim. He said I could get it from my local store or he could send it to me. I told him my local store didn't have them yet. He put me on hold. After asking me to hold a little longer twice (20 minutes total) he told me they were not available yet and they were being manufactured. He said there would be a message on the AT&T site when they were available.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I kind of agree with homescrub. The answer you get depends on the rep you talk to. Hey Dilrod, how do we explain to the reps how to get us a new sim?

joeh177

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I went in to the local AT&T store and said I needed a 4g sim card. They had a stack of them on the counter and switched it out no problem. Took maybe 5 minutes.

shaee

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I called a ATT Corp store, the guy had no clue but said come in. I think the manager was the only person that knew anything about the memo.
They switched the sims, no speed difference and no network difference.

Standing outside the store I got 1 bar...

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Folks do not worry about the '' sku 73057 sim" unless you are in an area (or travel to areas) that backhaul has been deployed in, until then it will not make a difference.
I know this from checking download speeds with my standard 3G sim card and then trying the new sku 73057 sim card, zero download speed or signal difference.

mthorn79

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Just switched out my 3G sim to the new 4G sim. I am in the DFW area which I'm pretty sure has backhaul deployed & I saw no difference in Up/Down speeds...maybe a little bit better at work but nothing over 2.46 Down & .35 Up, which I had hit a couple of times with the 3G sim in as well. So here to confirm, absolutely no difference (that I can tell).

However, for some strange reason I noticed my push notifications were coming in quicker. That's a + I guess.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Folks do not worry about the '' sku 73057 sim" unless you are in an area (or travel to areas) that backhaul has been deployed in, until then it will not make a difference.

That's what sucks. I am in an area that backhaul is supposedly/allegedly complete and deployed, but no stores have the new sim card available!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol