Getting the truth about HSPA+ (4G)

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone seen HSPA+ on their Inspire? Go to Settings, About phone, Network, and check mobile network type. I've never had anything but HSDPA, even though I'm smack in the middle of a 4G coverage area defined by AT&T. Could it be the 3G sims most people have been given? I'm trying to get a hold of one of the new 4G sims, but have had no luck yet.

homescrub

Mar 1, 2011
twitter.com
The 4G (HSPDPA+) net work is up, but it has yet to be deployed in certain cities. At the moment, you are currently getting 3G speeds until the service is available in your area.

Or so thats what they told me at the AT&T store and over the phone yesterday.

dyne2199

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
homescrub is absolutely right. Here's the link to the coverage map for AT&T's 4G:

4G Speed from AT&T - AT&T 4G with HSPA+ and LTE - Wireless from AT&T, then click on "Coverage" (along the bottom of banner) to show the map.

When you scroll your mouse around on the map, certain cities will allow you to click on them to view where actual backhaul is in place and currently working. For the most part, it's in parts of California, Houston, Charlotte, Chicago, Baltimore, Buffalo, Boston, Providence, and Puerto Rico.

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I live in the Houston area and the map says it is all 4G. Right now I'm in Kingwood just a bit north and I checked and it doesn't say hspa+ or whatever. Just hspa. So ill check tomorrow when I go to work downtown and see what I'm getting let ya know.

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Well I have arrived in Houston. And according to my map it says I'm covered. I checked my phone and it says HSDPA and no + sign. Hmm. I'll give it a little time and if nothing changes I'll be heading to the ATT store and find out what's going on.

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Well I have arrived in Houston. And according to my map it says I'm covered. I checked my phone and it says HSDPA and no + sign. Hmm. I'll give it a little time and if nothing changes I'll be heading to the ATT store and find out what's going on.

Can you run a speedt test just to see what you are getting?

rlrusso21

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
AT&T offers HSPA + im many area and will not deploy 4G until the later part of 2011 in major areas and others will follow in 2012. The AT&T HSPA+ "delivers 4G" speeds. Meaning that HSPA+ will be as fast as some Sprint or others carriers 4G network. I work for AT&T and I am pretty knowledgeable about this topic bc I get 20 questions a day about the network

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Yea let me download the speed test app and run it and I'll post the results.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Ran the speed test net app. Came back with 1063 kbps download and about 363 kbps upload speed. Not fast at all. My buddy just did the same test on his mytouch on t-mobile and it was 4 times as fast. We are sitting next to each other and in the heights area of Houston. Something isn't right.

dkellumw

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Ran the speed test net app. Came back with 1063 kbps download and about 363 kbps upload speed. Not fast at all. My buddy just did the same test on his mytouch on t-mobile and it was 4 times as fast. We are sitting next to each other and in the heights area of Houston. Something isn't right.

I just checked my phone and it still says HSDPA and no + sign.

I'm in the NW Houston area and I see a big difference in speeds. At my office with 1 to 2 bars I'm lucky to get 800kbps to 1300kbps down. At my house I get 2 to 4 bars and have over the past few weeks seen everything from 800kbps to 2600kbps down. The best speed that I have seen was a week or so ago I ran the Speedtest at W. Little York and 290, with 5 bars, and got 3300kbps down. Upload is never over 400kbps.

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Yea I've been running the test app over the city while working. The speed has been sporadic. Earlier I got upwards if 3300 kbps. Just depends on location I guess. I'll see later at my house. I talked to a rep earlier and he stated "wait till June." We shall see.

rlrusso21

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I tried to tell that it will be a few months before HSPA+ speeds are ready, they are inconsistent because either not all towers are on Fiber or they are not 100% connected to the Faster Network ports. I am employed by AT&T so i am fairly knowledegable about this topic

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
We won't see consistent "faster speeds" until the backhaul is up and deployed/so says my local Corporate AT&T Rep who couldn't figure out how to remove the battery cover when I purchased my Inspire.. we shall see

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
When you scroll your mouse around on the map, certain cities will allow you to click on them to view where actual backhaul is in place and currently working. For the most part, it's in parts of California, Houston, Charlotte, Chicago, Baltimore, Buffalo, Boston, Providence, and Puerto Rico.

I am in the Chicago area and fully in AT&T's 4G coverage area shown on their map. I'm wondering if the phone is even set up to distinguish between HSDPA and HSPA+. It may only ever show HSDPA since that is the basis of HSPA+.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Guys the stock ATT firmware for the inspire is limiting your connection to the hspa+ network. You have to edit your build.prop file and change the line from hsxpa=1 to hsxpa=2. This now let's your phone at least connect to hsupa so your uploadp won't be capped at 384kbps (which they are if you're on stock ROM).

czarcat

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Is it just me or does that map only show mobile broad band (3G)? It states on the lower right hand corner:

Map depicts current and future 3G coverage. 4G coverage not depicted.

Is there somewhere else everyone is looking to find the 4G coverage?

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
You have to edit your build.prop file and change the line from hsxpa=1 to hsxpa=2.

I'm sure that requires the phone to be rooted, correct? I don't think I'm in the minority when I say I'm not ready to root my device. I don't have a specific complaint with HSUPA speeds. 90% of my use is downloading.

Let me restate my previous question. Has anyone seen an indication of HSPA+ on their phone (Settings>About Phone>Network> Mobile Network Type)?

gots2beme

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure that requires the phone to be rooted, correct? I don't think I'm in the minority when I say I'm not ready to root my device. I don't have a specific complaint with HSUPA speeds. 90% of my use is downloading.

Let me restate my previous question. Has anyone seen an indication of HSPA+ on their phone (Settings>About Phone>Network> Mobile Network Type)?

My device is rooted with HSUPA enabled and I never see HSPA+ on my phone. The speed is there but it is never indicated in the network type. All I ever see is HSDPA.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers