Using Edge for voice

sicks

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

I did a web and forum search and couldn't find an answer so I was hoping somebody here might be able to help me with my problem.

The 3G/4G in my area is down and has been for the past couple weeks and ATT has yet to fix it and so the only way I can make voice calls is through EDGE. I know this because I've tried it on an iPhone and Blackberry, where they would work on EDGE for voice/data but would stop when I switch the 3G back on. The problem is Inspire is my first Android phone and I'm unfamiliar with it as to how to do it. I tried turning off the data in the Settings>Mobile networks and it didn't help, I also downloaded the APNdroid app and it didn't work, so I'm stumped at this point. Any tips or help would be really appreciated, Thanks in advance!

sicks

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Anyone???? I really want to keep this phone but can't just because I have no idea when ATT is going to fix the 3g/4g issues in my area.

ReuvenNY

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
I am not an expert, but 2G/3G/4G applies only to data. The voice calls have nothing to do with the above terms.
It may only apply if you use VOIP (like Skype).

If I didn't understand your question, please let me know. I was a bit confused reading it at first.

Four-Fifty-X

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
2g/3g/4g applies to voice and data.

You can use Any Cut (app market) to create a shortcut to hidden radio options, like GSM versus WCDMA. The problem is, in a stock device, even though it looks like the changes stick on the options screen, the handheld continues to stay locked on to 4g. I'm going to root my device and see if that helps. I'll report back.

asuprice

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
2g/3g/4g applies to voice and data.

You can use Any Cut (app market) to create a shortcut to hidden radio options, like GSM versus WCDMA. The problem is, in a stock device, even though it looks like the changes stick on the options screen, the handheld continues to stay locked on to 4g. I'm going to root my device and see if that helps. I'll report back.

Eagerly awaiting to see if it worked with root. I want to do the same to my atrix

sicks

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm eager to find out too, I've been looking to root but just haven't had the time to. I have tso admit, kind of surprised this function wasn't already built into Android or sense, especially since blackberry and iOS both include this ability, it really is a useful function as when 3g coverage is weak switching to edge usually helps do the trick.