Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Amazon App Store: How to install on Inspire

I jumped the gun. Even though I can get the Amazon App Store installed I still can't install apps from said store but thanks to forum user elrol here is a way to get it to work without rooting.

Thanks to "elrol" and his post below.
    A quirky work-around that's not that painful.

First install the actual Amazon App Store

1. Downloadd the Amazon Appstore .apk file: http://amzn.to/getamazonappstore
    2. Use the most awesome sideloading app for Windows
    3. Now you will have the AAS inside your app drawer

Once you have installed the app store on your device...

1. Locate the app you want and install it via the AAS
      It will download to this directory first:
      \Android\data\com.amazon.venezia\cache
    2. Click Cancel when you see the message "For Security, your phone is set to block installations of applications not obtained from Android Market"
    3. Now open a "file explorer" app like ES File Explorer and navigate to the folder listed in Step 1 (\Android\data\com.amazon.venezia\cache)
    4. Find the .apk file you just attempted to install press and hold the icon then select "Send"
    5. I have DropBox so I use that to get it to my PC. I tried Gmail and it worked. Tip: check the .apk file size to make sure it's not too big.
    6. Now you can use the Sideload Wonder Machine to install the app.

I also found this page linked from Amazon's site to ATT
    Amazon Appstore for Android - Coming Soon to AT&T Phones
    I suggest everyone who owns an Inspire enter their email address so ATT sees how many of us want another option for apps.

Guess I will have to root my Inspire sooner than I thought.

I would like to thank ATT for being dicks about non-market apps.

You can "buy" apps on the Amazon site and then install them on your device which is good if you want Angry Birds RIO for free before the promotion runs out.
    Last edited by netposer; 03-22-2011 at 11:02 AM.
    Thanked by 3:

How were you able to do that? I used the sideloading app to get the app store installed, but when i attempted to download and install an app from it i was not allowed.

Once the App Store is on my phone how do I get android to let me install from it?

I did the same thing this morning.. what you need to do after you download the game from the amazon store..

open your sd card files in windows explorer and just search for .apk.. the search should return a file similar to vnz45949.apk. this was the filename for my angry birds rio download.. i had to copy it to my desktop and then use SWM to install it from there.

(It was actually in this folder on the sd card : \Android\data\com.amazon.venezia\cache)

Hope that helps everyone..
    Thanked by 5:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by elrol View Post
    I did the same thing this morning.. what you need to do after you download the game from the amazon store..

open your sd card files in windows explorer and just search for .apk.. the search should return a file similar to vnz45949.apk. this was the filename for my angry birds rio download.. i had to copy it to my desktop and then use SWM to install it from there.

(It was actually in this folder on the sd card : \Android\data\com.amazon.venezia\cache)

Hope that helps everyone..
    Thanks elrol, I updated my OP thanks to you!

Quote Originally Posted by netposer View Post
    Thanks elrol, I updated my OP thanks to you!
    I am so glad that worked for you and good idea to have it at the top of the thread .. My first real contribution to the community :P haha..

I've used Erol's method and it worked wonderfully. A quick 30 extra seconds of work and Angry Birds Rio is now confirmed working well on my Inspire .

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

THANK YOU! I don't understand why AT&T has to mkae things so difficult. My first time using sideload wonder and it worked. Now I won't be afraid to try it again.

great idea. I too got stump after sideloading the amazon app store and also downloaded angry bird rio and att block the install now with look through the sd card copy to my computer and sideload it back into the phone and it works.

Never mind, I'm an *****. Got it installed.
    Last edited by Bluezero; 03-25-2011 at 06:40 AM.

Was able to get it installed. The process is fairly simple but very annoying of AT&T to do this to it's customers.

Got it to work thanks!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Winning! no thanks to AT&T for making this process unnecessary and unusually complicated...

Its pretty simple when you get the hang of it but totally unnecessary! Thanks AT&T!
    Moto X 32GB Developer Edition/Apple iPad Mini 16GB

To update it do we just do the whole install process over?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsbane058 View Post
    To update it do we just do the whole install process over?
    Yeah I just saw the update notification. I'm guessing so. *sigh*

Also anyone having problems with the tilt functions after installing this? Last night I installed doodle jump and now I have to restart about twice a day now, cant use the accelerometer at all.. unless I restart.

Unfortunately it says Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS] for me. Appstore installed fine but the software downloaded doesn't install

I found out that doodle jump was disabling my accelerometer, uninstalling it fixed the problem. Maybe I have to wait for ATT support.

This is horrible! I just don't get it! cannot install Amazon apps

Quote Originally Posted by wkpalan View Post
    Unfortunately it says Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS] for me. Appstore installed fine but the software downloaded doesn't install
    Open your applications it may be there. I got the same error message.

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts

You don't need to move/copy the files from anywhere. I used AC SWM with the app installed in the amazon directory. I believe you have to enable "usb mass storage" if it doesn't automatically do it as it does with my atrix.

Use this method:

Quote Originally Posted by navycow View Post
    Since the free clock is ticking on Angry Birds Rio I thought I would help out others with AT&T on installing the game.

Credit goes to AlphaDog

1. Go to USB Debugging mode
    2. Sideload Appstore
    3. Open Appstore and download angry birds. It will fail on the install.
    4. On your computer browse to: phonestorage/android/data/com.amazon.venezia/cache
    5. Side load the apk

Good luck!
    CrackBerry Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | Tech Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBuddha View Post
    Winning! ...
    I lol'ed when I saw this.

Where do you guys get the USB drivers for sideload to work on Inspire?

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhk1 View Post
    mine actually installed when plugging my atrix to my win7 machine.

did it not install them when plugging your device?
    CrackBerry Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | Tech Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhk1 View Post
    HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC Inspireā„¢ 4G - Downloads

You need to download HTC Sync software.
    Due to the recent economy, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast