Poor ATT Coverage and Inspire

Akayak

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Was curious if anyone else was having similar issues and maybe a solution? I purchased the Inspire 3 weeks after it came to the Denver market from Costco. I was previously using the BB Curve 8310 and have been an ATT customer for about 5 years. Compared to the BB, I really like this phone with all its features.

However, I am having major service related issues with the Inspire with poor call coverage and dropped calls in my house and on the road where ATT has historically had no issues. The two other phones in my house are a BB Bold 9000 and a new Samsung SGH-A667. The Denver market does not yet have 4g coverage. While in my home the Inspire shows 1 bar of service on the display, most times I’m not even able to make a call. I’ll go outside in my driveway or out to the sidewalk and the same poor service exists (according to the HTC website, you need at least 2 bars to make a call Unable to make or receive phone calls on the HTC Inspire?„? 4G - HTC Inspire?„? 4G (AT&T) - Android Forums - HTC Community ). The other two phones show 3-4 bars of service with no problem making calls. My friends with the ATT iPhone 3 and 4 models were both over and even they had 3 bars of coverage with no problems making calls or receiving calls.

After going through the requisite 30 minute call with ATT customer support and the requisite “level 2” support and having them “push” upgrades to my phone last week, I am still having poor coverage. I spoke with a manager at an ATT owned store and she swapped my SIM card and with no improvement in coverage. I have even taken that SIM card and put it in my old BB 8310 and I have 3-4 bars of coverage. I spoke with customer service yesterday and they recommended the purchase of a micro cell which I’m not quite ready to pull the trigger on since the coverage issue isn’t simply just in my house.

Could the issue simply be an isolated Inspire phone issue? Should I simply have Costco replace the phone and try another Inspire? Or should I run elsewhere and get another type of phone in the ATT family of products? I’m not having any other major glitches and I’m not running any additional apps that should be causing disruption in service.

Last edited:

Shempster

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Returning a phone to Costco

I had three Inspires & liked the phone, with no issues like you have. I did return/exchange them with Costco. Other than walking back & forth between the cell phone kiosk & the Costco return area, they were quick & easy transactions ? no one minded at all. So, I wouldn't hesitate to return the phone, but I doubt a different one will solve your issue.

I had fair service where I live, work & play, but when it rained... forget it. First I'd heard or seen of this. Went with a Thunderbolt.

mthorn79

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Had the Inspire for 2 weeks, took it back for 2 reasons...

1) Supposed to be HSPA+...well at 2.5mbps/.5mbps avgerage, thats no where near what it should be.
2) No 3rd party app support.

Took it back & cancelled service, got the Thunderbolt which looks almost exactly the same. Now I'm getting on average of 20mbps/7mbps, plus I now have a kickstand on the phone. I can also now checkmark "Accept Apps from Untrusted Sources" & now can download 3rd party apps such as Swype, instead of going through all those Sideload Wonder Machine steps! Plus I have a desktop cradle option, which I did not have with the Inspire. Loved the phone, just like the Thunderbolt that much more :]

Quick, jump ship while you can!

schinner16

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
if you have juice defender or power saver...try turning it off

my reception has improved a lot since i disabled them, and i wont use them while im near my house at school...ill save it for when im back near home with better signal....

Akayak

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Not running Juice Defender. HTC stock Power Saver application is enabled but only set to notify me and turn on when 15% power is left.

CutRiteFX

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Never really understood why some one would have to have 20mbps/7mbps. What are these people downloading on a device that would require this much speed. I am getting around 2.5 - 3mb and watching videos and surfing the web works just fine for me. I could see if some was tethering. Granted hopefully they will start to speed things up some soon. I don't like that AT&T is pushing 4G phones without having the service to back it up. They are claiming that I am in a 4G coverage area but not seeing the speeds they are saying we should get.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etwork%2F%23fbid%3D9JyAHdiTcbu&token=Az9MlnZU
*4G speeds require a 4G device and are delivered when HSPA+ technology is combined with enhanced backhaul. (This is CRAP)

I have used the Wonder Machine and works for what I need it for.

And as far as them wanting you to buy a micro cell. They should be giving these damn things away or at least not charging so much. I would be willing to pay 40-50 and that's it.

I have the same problem and it's not just the inspire. There are 3 iPhones and a razr in my house that have the same issue. Once we go close to a window or outside we are ok. But it does seem that the antenna on the Inspire may be a bit weaker.

But to answer your question you may want to see if they would switch out the phone for another one.

Last edited:

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Though I don't have a problem with mine, I have seen some posts about problems with the SIM/sd card cover. The antenna is located on the cover and makes a connection to two tabs on the phone. If you pull the cover you'll see what I'm talking about. Anyway, I guess HTC knows about the cover issue and is making new, better covers that will be available through the AT&T stores. When, I don't know, but if I find it I'll re-post.

mthorn79

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Never really understood why some one would have to have 20mbps/7mbps. What are these people downloading on a device that would require this much speed. I am getting around 2.5 - 3mb and watching videos and surfing the web works just fine for me. I could see if some was tethering. Granted hopefully they will start to speed things up some soon. I don't like that AT&T is pushing 4G phones without having the service to back it up. They are claiming that I am in a 4G coverage area but not seeing the speeds they are saying we should get.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etwork%2F%23fbid%3D9JyAHdiTcbu&token=NfnE6e6G
*4G speeds require a 4G device and are delivered when HSPA+ technology is combined with enhanced backhaul. (This is CRAP)

I have used the Wonder Machine and works for what I need it for.

And as far as them wanting you to buy a micro cell. They should be giving these damn things away or at least not charging so much. I would be willing to pay 40-50 and that's it.

I have the same problem and it's not just the inspire. There are 3 iPhones and a razr in my house that have the same issue. Once we go close to a window or outside we are ok. But it does seem that the antenna on the Inspire may be a bit weaker.

But to answer your question you may want to see if they would switch out the phone for another one.

It's just nice to have the web on your phone load instantly and actually downloads faster than my FIOS at home. People apparently do want 4G because certainly a lot of people are buying them up thinking that's what they're getting out of the box. Then when you crank up the Inspire only to realize that your provider is throttling your speeds on purpose it kinda makes you ticked off. I can understand if they're throttling unlimited data but they're all tiered now so thats not an excuse anymore, just like you said 'its crap' and I have the 30 day right to let them know...and thats what I did. When you realize just how blazing fast LTE is you'll never know why you didn't leave for it sooner! :]

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Herb_VA

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Here's my 2 cents:

I picked up 3 Inspire 4G phones for the family a few weeks back. Everything looked good upfront. About a week later my wife's phone started showing a weak signal. I'm standing there with 4+ bars while she's got maybe 1. Jumped in the car, back to the store we went. 20 minutes & a new phone later, she's got the same signal as I do.

If its new, don't waste your time with any tech support. Exchange it for another phone. Sometimes it doesn't matter what brand or model phone you buy, what country the phone is made in, or even the provider you use. There will always be some defective units. I got one; maybe you did too.
Life's too short.

Man, I'm a slooow reader, so I hate reading off topic responses. jmo

Akayak

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you Herb...

I have returned the phone and have a new Inspire this evening. I will update you all upon a few days usage.

Akayak

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Though I don't have a problem with mine, I have seen some posts about problems with the SIM/sd card cover. The antenna is located on the cover and makes a connection to two tabs on the phone. If you pull the cover you'll see what I'm talking about. Anyway, I guess HTC knows about the cover issue and is making new, better covers that will be available through the AT&T stores. When, I don't know, but if I find it I'll re-post.

Thanks Pazzo. Let me (us) know what you find out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34