Free Data use

Patg88

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I was talking to an At&t customer service Representative (611) not a tech about my data use. I am currently on the 2GB plan. I use wifi at home and work most of the time. I told her that there are plenty of times I won't stream music or watch video while not on wifi. I still use the network plenty, to stream music and download, but sometime I will wait for wifi. She told me At&t wants me to enjoy my phone so turn off the wifi for a month and they will cover any overages for that month. She said she would be surprised if I hit 2gig without unusual downloading. I think the free trial run will be sweet to see where I am at after going kinda crazy for a month.
It may be worth a call to anyone who may be interested in a free trial run.
They can do it even if they say they can't. Tell them you are thinking of going with the 4gig plan but your not sure how much you use cause you are holding back a little. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: puquak

Patg88

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I work for at&t, and I have not heard anything saying this is true.

I have nothing to gain by bull shizing anyone. I talked to a person in "customer relations" and she did this for me. I confirmed this by talking with a guy at my local At&t store who said there are notes on my account stating to waive data overages on the next billing cycle for a "trial period."

KCMike

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I'd definately get that statement in writing!

Currently I'm in my first 30 days with AT&T and the capped data plan has me freaked out. I used wifi at home only but try to install apps when I'm at home, however going over does worry me a bit.

I could bump up to the tethering plan, but that still sucks. I wish AT&T had unlimited. I'm still on the fence about canceling & going to another carrier.

Dilrod

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I have nothing to gain by bull shizing anyone. I talked to a person in "customer relations" and she did this for me. I confirmed this by talking with a guy at my local At&t store who said there are notes on my account stating to waive data overages on the next billing cycle for a "trial period."

PM your number, and I can double check for you.

Dilrod

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
i had 10 dollar unlimited data on my fuze.... lost it with the inspire.

You had the wrong data plan. The $10 unlimited data is for non smart phones. Sounds like you had a non smart phone, and just sim swapped to a htc fuze. Odd that the system never caught it. Usually the system catches smart phone usage within 30 days and tells you to put the correct data on by a certain time or it will be added for you. I know if a rep takes off the smartphone data and puts the $10 unlimited data back on your plan (if your showing that your using a non smart phone in the system) then it wont put it back on.

Jets

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Unlocked phone. Had same plan on an unlocked Blackjack before that. Not sure if still true, but I believe they only care when you buy a phone from them, or a phone subsidized by a contract agreement. Usually you must commit to the data plan anyway when you do an upgrade phone.

WarrenH

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Its one thing for the notes to say give a credit and another to get a rep to issue a credit. Believe me I know.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Dilrod

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Its one thing for the notes to say give a credit and another to get a rep to issue a credit. Believe me I know.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

If it is actually noted in the computer on the account, they will give him the credit.

Dilrod

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Unlocked phone. Had same plan on an unlocked Blackjack before that. Not sure if still true, but I believe they only care when you buy a phone from them, or a phone subsidized by a contract agreement. Usually you must commit to the data plan anyway when you do an upgrade phone.

Not true. Anytime you put your sim in a smart phone, you are assessed the data charges. Even if you bought it from a friend. I see many people having smart phone data put on their account when getting phones from other people (stolen probably) and then come in asking why they have a data charge on their account.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20