So it's April....

dylan808

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
and the Inspire and the Atrix are expected to be updated this month to finally allow HSPUA. which should give most of us "true" HSPA+ (not calling it 4G) speeds.

when can we expect this update to roll out??
i'm hoping soon :/
i just want my phone to run like it's supposed to :p

KingChicago

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
OTA updates (over the air), so on the phone itself. A popup will come up saying an update is available and you can choose to start it or wait.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

Dilrod

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
and the Inspire and the Atrix are expected to be updated this month to finally allow HSPUA. which should give most of us "true" HSPA+ (not calling it 4G) speeds.

when can we expect this update to roll out??
i'm hoping soon :/
i just want my phone to run like it's supposed to :p

Even when the software upgrade is sent to the phone, if your not in a place that we have rolled out hspa+ on the network, you wont see a difference.

dylan808

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Even when the software upgrade is sent to the phone, if your not in a place that we have rolled out hspa+ on the network, you wont see a difference.

hmm that really blows. and i'm pretty sure most of my area does not have hspa+ coverage. maybe just the city area.. :p

Silas0220

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Not true. HSUPA is NOT HSPA+. It's an upgraded 3G upload technology, and does not require HSPA+ to be rolled out in your area to work, as far I understand. HSUPA=\=HSPA+

dylan808

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Not true. HSUPA is NOT HSPA+. It's an upgraded 3G upload technology, and does not require HSPA+ to be rolled out in your area to work, as far I understand. HSUPA=\=HSPA+

oh i see. so as long as you have 3G service in your area you should see some changes?

Silas0220

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
oh i see. so as long as you have 3G service in your area you should see some changes?

This is my understanding, though as always it's entirely possible that I'm misinformed. HSUPA ought to enable upload speeds of 1.5-2 mbps, bringing it about on par with the 3g download speeds most people are seeing on this phone.

As far as improving coverage, that's not going to happen with this update. Enabling HSUPA just allows our phones to use a feature that already exists in the current structure. Now, when AT&T gets around to improving the backbone that they've been mumbling about since our phones came out, that could improve coverage -- I really don't know. As far as I know, however, the only thing that's going to improve coverage is AT&T actually building new towers/ improving old ones.

dylan808

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
well as long as upload speeds are fixed. the speeds they are at now are pretty bad. i don't get any higher that 400 kbps. :p

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
HSPA+, also known as evolved HSPA, is an upgrade to existing CDMA networks. It is not a 4G standard, and never will be. LTE Advanced is a 4G standard (current LTE networks don't actually meet IMT Advanced 4G standards, either). But remember, AT&T's core promise on the Inspire is 4G speeds, which HSPA+ is capable of delivering. Question is, when will AT&T allow their network to deliver those speeds?

Silas0220

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
There is no 4G charge. HSPA+ phone data plans are identical to the old 3G plans, as far as I know. I have no idea what they'll do for plans once LTE starts rolling out, but that won't affect us anyway.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
How will the HSUPA roll out affect battery life?

There should be no difference in battery life. It's just the uncapping of uplaod speed, not a different network type. In theory your battery life should increase because with increased upload speeds your network connection will be more efficient.

poneeboy53

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I am more concerned on with when the download speeds will get better. Sure the upload speeds will be nicer but I do far more downloading then uploading.

When will we get 7+ m of upload speeds that At&t has lied about in all their crap advertising about this phone/network.

Basically the Inspire is just a promise and possibility, no actual real advantage yet and yet they have the nerve to call it 4g.

AT&T you suck for not having the enhanced backhaul and HSUPA+ ready when you launched your first 4g phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis