How to close programs when done

jas89tta

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Just picked up a HTC Inspire 4g and can't figure out how to close a program after I'm done using it :-[ It shows the programs up at the top when I slide it down but can't close it with out restarting the phone. Hope this makes sense I looked in the manual but can not figure it out :confused:

haxle

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
i use the android booster app and a file explorer doesn't hurt either, i've noticed on my inspire that sometimes when you uninstall an app it doesn't delete the data used by that app... can sometimes clutter up your memory. and having a task killer wont kill anything you need unless you tell it to so just don't kill anything other than the bloat..

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I avoid task killers. I've ready too many posts from people that start having their devices act up once they start using a task killer. There are ways to close programs. Many have a logout or exit choice from the menu. Others you can close by hitting the back button. Don't get confused by the programs listed in pulldown bar. That's a list of recently used programs, not ones that are running. Programs that are not shut down are supposed to be designed to sleep when in the background and use little to no resources. That of course is up to the developer. Remember, hitting the home button while in a program WILL leave it running in the background. Best thing to do is restart your phone once or twice a week. That will clear everything out.

cmoneyct

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
What about running services? When I restart my phone, I look at the running services andhave things like the weather channel and drm service that I stop. Are makesimbdservice and andrioid sprint extension service necessary? Do they drain the battery?

Hypnopottamus

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
What about running services? When I restart my phone, I look at the running services andhave things like the weather channel and drm service that I stop. Are makesimbdservice and andrioid sprint extension service necessary? Do they drain the battery?

If you still see certain services running after a reboot, chances are that those services automatically restart...even after you try to kill them. This is why you shouldn't use task killers on Froyo. Killing an app that will only automatically restart will actually drain your battery. A task killer will keep on trying to kill the app/service, but it will automatically restart.

Froyo is designed to handle apps by putting them in a "sleep" state when not in use. The drain in battery in this state is null. When an app is then accessed again, it will start up quicker/easier. It takes more resources to open an app from a fresh/cold start then it is to bring it out of its sleep state. Just because you see an app in the background DOESN'T mean that it is actually running!

Reactions: KarlJ and cmoneyct

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
If you still see certain services running after a reboot, chances are that those services automatically restart...even after you try to kill them. This is why you shouldn't use task killers on Froyo. Killing an app that will only automatically restart will actually drain your battery. A task killer will keep on trying to kill the app/service, but it will automatically restart.

Froyo is designed to handle apps by putting them in a "sleep" state when not in use. The drain in battery in this state is null. When an app is then accessed again, it will start up quicker/easier. It takes more resources to open an app from a fresh/cold start then it is to bring it out of its sleep state. Just because you see an app in the background DOESN'T mean that it is actually running!

+1 Amen O:)

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site

One of the best explanations I've seen!

aparat

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree that if you've never had a modern smartphone, it might seem odd to not have a dedicated quit feature on most applications. I agree with the others that you should let the OS handle that. Some apps, however do have a quit function, which is usually a specific feature to give you more control so you either don't close the app accidentally, or close it completely so it doesn't run in the background. I wish this was a somewhat simpler process. Many users are paranoid about stuff running and draining the battery.

Sent using Tapatalk

lionsson

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Oh no no no....

where do I start. Android 2.2 and above has an internal auto task manager, a very well design one I must say, which kills tasks as resources are needed, just because an app is "running" doesn't necessarily mean it's really running processes and consuming battery in fact almost all app "running" in the background are just loaded in memory not using battery. So killing your apps every 30 minute will result in more battery consumption than just letting them sit on the memory. Why is this you might ask, well let me explain when you open an app your phone has to do a lot of processes to start that app consuming battery, but if that app is already loaded in the internal memory than your phone saves all those processes every time you open that app.

If you're serious about saving battery first you have to understand where your battery is going.

I recommend you use SystemPanel. Thisapp will monitor every process from every app. If you see an app that is excessive try to find a replacement.

Now go to your home screen and long press on a empty spot and select Shortcut, Settings, Battery Use. Here you will see what is using your battery. In my experience this is what I have observe. Screen uses 50 to 75 percent depending how long your screen is on. Antennas (2G, 3G, wifi, Bluetooth) uses about 10 to 20 percent of the battery. and processes use about 10 to 15 percent isbattery use.

OK so lowering your screen brightness will have the biggest impact. Second keeping an eye on your Bluetooth and WiFi will help too.

And my last tip is probably the most important, draining ALL the battery and charging it until it reaches 100% it will increase your battery life up to 40% more.

This is what I do I bought an extra battery and a battery charger like this ones. All I do is cycle through them.

Last edited:

Silas0220

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Your last tip doesn't make any sense. Lithium ion batteries do not benefit from being drained all the way and charged back to full. That's an old school tip from years ago when NiCd batteries had memory effect (Memory effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Lithium ion batteries do not have memory. They actually benefit more from frequent, small charges -- like the kind you do when you realize you're at 50% and taking a short drive somewhere and you just plug it in as you go.

KCMike

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Hmm, didn't know this about 2.2. My bad on the Task Killer recommendation.

As for the battery, I agree with Silas. I work for a large consumer electronics company & we have customers calling in weekly asking about the memory effect. We explain the new style of batteries don't have such an issue. In fact, our software on our devices manages the battery output & input and actually keeps the battery from capping at 100% or dropping to 0%. When the charge gets close to max the software will stop charging and pull from the battery & so on in a cycle. For the low end, the software will turn the device off & ask the user to charge the device before it ever gets to 0%.

Silas0220

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It really was a huge deal back when we all used NiCd batteries, and everyone knew about it. This was the first, last, and most commonly cited tip for battery life back in those days, and I think it just became so ingrained in us that we didn't think to change our tactics when we started using a new kind of battery.

There used to be an excellent battery thread on the forums somewhere that explained all this, and was where I found the info on the short charges. I wish I could find it...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo