1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC Inspire 4G to Nexus One?

Note: I'm posting this on multiple forums to receive more varied feedback, so if you see it in a couple places, please don't get upset.

I'm thinking of getting rid of my Inspire for a Nexus One. I'm frankly disappointed in the battery life and the customization options available to me. I've been reading these forums for quite awhile, so I'm very aware of all the options I have with my Inspire -- telling me that I can root "following this guide" or whatnot isn't going to be a game-changer for me.

What are your thoughts? What will I miss going from the Inspire to the Nexus One? What might I like better about the Nexus One? Is the trackball really that exciting?

If I do end up looking to do it, what do I have to look for when getting one? I know they sold them for TMo only first, and then brought out an AT&T compatible one. I've heard that there were two different screens available for them, does anyone have a preference or know what the difference might be? If I do end up looking for one, where should I look? Do you think there would be people willing to trade a Nexus One for an Inspire plus some cash?

I've already done a backup to the SD card via My Backup Pro - if I get a Nexus One, should I just have to insert the SIM and SD card and restore everything, or do I have to worry about more than that?

Any thoughts or advice is welcome! Thank you!

smaller screen, no sense, last gen processor (slower preformance)... i dont think it will be the smartest thing, trackballs are o-u-t OUT

I'd recommend the Nexus One over the Inspire, and I'm sure you can find someone on CL that would be interested in selling their N1, but trading might be more difficult to find. The Nexus One usually sells for under $300 around my area, so I'm sure it won't be hard to find one for a decent price. Just sell your Inspire once you get the Nexus.

No one on CL ever posts which Nexus One they have, so you have to email everyone and ask which 3G bands it has. They'll tell you "it's unlocked for AT&T, though!" Ignore them and move on. Find someone with the appropriate 3G bands and make an offer. I'd start out at around $225-250 for one in good condition.

I have just done this with the Nexus S (AT&T bands). Its a much better device than the Inspire and its unlocked (can be used anywhere in the world without being a slave to AT&T). It also allows unknown sources (out of market). Its fast and well made with a beautiful 4 Super Amoled scene. Better and longer lasting choice than the Nexus 1 (IMO).

The Nexus S is a beautiful device, no doubt. It's also more than double the cost of a Nexus One these days.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

So with the encouragement and help of the folks over at XDA (such nice people), I've rooted my Inspire instead. I must say, I was scared for nothing. Granted, it takes a lot of logic, which I happen to possess. And there were a few moments in the process where I was confused, but logic prevailed.

Just out of curiosity, what did you gain by rooting that you didn't already have before? Did you install a different Rom?

Sent from my Inspire 4G
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Well, my primary reason for wanting root was the -ability- to customize when I wanted to. But yes, I figured while I was at it I might as well load a ROM. I flashed the LeeDrOiD rom (). It ought to be quite an improvement over stock, if everyone's experiences are true. Also, it allows me to use SetCPU, which was one I really wanted.

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    ROM
    GingerBeast & CM7

By rooting your device, you can install a better rom that can handle your batterys performance better. Example, CM7 (CyanogenMod). Skins, themes, better overall performance with the right enhancements.

If you're scared to touch your phone, then why bother downgrading when all you will is complain again that that phone doesn't have what the Inspire can have.

You're looking at this all wrong. If you don't know how to teach yourself to be tech-savvy, then why bother with Android? Go get an iPhone.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Silas0220 View Post
    So with the encouragement and help of the folks over at XDA (such nice people), I've rooted my Inspire instead. I must say, I was scared for nothing. Granted, it takes a lot of logic, which I happen to possess. And there were a few moments in the process where I was confused, but logic prevailed.
    You might want to consider reading the entire thread before posting...

I recently bought an Inspire and am selling my Nexus One. When I first got the Inspire a couple nights ago, I was planning on taking it back and waiting for the Nexus S to become available for AT&T 3G, because of the restrictive stock ROM. However, yesterday morning I rooted it using a pretty neat program, I don't remember the name. It basically opens a command prompt and guides you right through it, no real effort involved.

Anyways, after rooting the phone is way better. You can remove all the bloatware that AT&T installed, you now have the ability to sideload (install non market apps), and the phone is now sim unlocked (which is useless to me but neat nonetheless). It feels a lot like my Nexus One with sense and a lot less like some bloated advertisement filled feature phone now. It's also quicker than my N1, but the only real place I can notice it is with some graphics-intensive live wallpapers and in benchmark tests.

With all that said, I saw that you rooted and like the phone now but if you want to buy a Nexus One, mine is in perfect shape, for sale and it comes with the car dock out of the Google Store. If you want it you can send me an email, .
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Thanks for the offer, and for the feedback! Sounds like you used Bubbys' One Click, same as I did. I have to agree with you, after rooting this phone is becoming everything I had wanted it to be. I've been running LeeDroid's ROM and loving it, though I'm sure I'll go Gingerbread at some point in the future (likely after we get really good ROM based off an official release of Gingerbread for the phone).

I don't think I'll be needing an N1 now, but I do thank you for the offer.

I'm glad you are enjoying it as much as I am! I like to think that the Desire was like a Nexus 1.5, and the Inspire/Desire HD is what the Nexus S/Nexus 2 should have been but wasn't. At least, that's what makes me feel better about getting rid of my N1.

I'm on the stock ROM for now. I thought about CM7 but I've been on Cyanogenmod for pretty much a year now and I've been on CM7 on my N1 since the first few nightlies, and I feel like I needed a change. I think perhaps I'll wait until a Sensation ROM comes out (Gingerbread with Sense 3.0) or something... I don't know yet, I haven't really explored my options. How is LeeDroid's?

Edit: Yes, it was Bubby's One Click. An excellent program that cracked AT&T's hardheaded security measures quite nicely, with no adverse effects. I would reccomend anybody that is even remotely proficient with computers to root their Inspire. There is pretty much no downside and it adds a whole world of possibility.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by homescrub View Post
    By rooting your device, you can install a better rom that can handle your batterys performance better. Example, CM7 (CyanogenMod). Skins, themes, better overall performance with the right enhancements.

If you're scared to touch your phone, then why bother downgrading when all you will is complain again that that phone doesn't have what the Inspire can have.

You're looking at this all wrong. If you don't know how to teach yourself to be tech-savvy, then why bother with Android? Go get an iPhone.
    I had a stroke a few years ago which somewhat limits me in dealing with certain things. I would like to root my phone, but I have decided to get some help doing it. Not always about fear.
    rsprice@gmail.com Add me
    rsprice48@xipline.com (paypal )

Freed from the slavery of Apple and the evil Dark Lord Jobs by the mighty Android.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by jeffesaurusrex View Post
    I'm on the stock ROM for now. I thought about CM7 but I've been on Cyanogenmod for pretty much a year now and I've been on CM7 on my N1 since the first few nightlies, and I feel like I needed a change. I think perhaps I'll wait until a Sensation ROM comes out (Gingerbread with Sense 3.0) or something... I don't know yet, I haven't really explored my options. How is LeeDroid's?
    LeeDroids is pretty much what the stock ROM should have been. It's 2.2 with Sense, some (very) minor UI changes (transparent app drawer and notifications and custom window animations that I turned off, because I never like those anyway). The included kernel allows for overclocking to 1.8 gHz. It's undervolted and has all the AT&T stuff removed (THAT was a relief). It seems rock solid and has excellent battery life so far. It is (for now) exactly what I wanted out of my phone. Once Lee gets ahold of a Gingerbread Sense official release to play with, I'm sure I'll upgrade to whatever he does with that. For now, this is perfect.