Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default is it worth it to root my inspire 4g

I'm happy with my inspire how it is but I've heard about this rooting and was wondering if its really going to make it better. Plus I like the stock Rom on it and wouldn't want to change that anythoughts anyone??

if you are happy with the stock rom, then really very few reasons to root. if youre just looking for different looks, then a new launcher is much easier on this phone than the root process.

One of the main reasons i would root the phone would be able to get access to third party application such as the amazon app store. But since AT&T is going to let up on that and allow it now. There goes my reasons. But there are other ones as well. Such as you can install some different roms to give it a different look and feel to the phone that you cannot get with stock roms and different launchers.
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

but are the custom roms that much better then the stock roms to root it

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    ROM
    LeeDroid

Quote Originally Posted by kevbot3 View Post
    but are the custom roms that much better then the stock roms to root it
    Some custom roms have better battery life. ive seen people get faster uploads and downloads. you can remove att bloatware. you can install apps outside of the app market because you ROM is not att anymore
    Thanked by:

I've had my inspire since Mid Feb, and I still see no reason for me to root. It works just fine.

My battery life is OK (pretty much lasts all day), plus I have charging cables at work, home, cars, etc. Haven't had an issue yet.

Bloatware? It doesn't really affect me. I haven't had issues with running out of space, so it doesn't bother me what software is on my phone. I just don't use it if I don't need it.

Third party applications? I use the AC-SWM and sideload with no issues. I have the amazon app store, and other stuff I've sideloaded.

Also, one thing I seem to notice: If you look at the various Android phones, lots of people with phone issues seem to be the ones that have it rooted. I have no issues with my stock phone- everything works as was intended. No root, no problem.

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    ROM
    LeeDroid

Quote Originally Posted by f308gt4 View Post
    I've had my inspire since Mid Feb, and I still see no reason for me to root. It works just fine.

My battery life is OK (pretty much lasts all day), plus I have charging cables at work, home, cars, etc. Haven't had an issue yet.

Bloatware? It doesn't really affect me. I haven't had issues with running out of space, so it doesn't bother me what software is on my phone. I just don't use it if I don't need it.

Third party applications? I use the AC-SWM and sideload with no issues. I have the amazon app store, and other stuff I've sideloaded.

Also, one thing I seem to notice: If you look at the various Android phones, lots of people with phone issues seem to be the ones that have it rooted. I have no issues with my stock phone- everything works as was intended. No root, no problem.
    i agree with everything except the bloatware. i hate seeing many apps i dont ever use. my list gets too big because of that

ROM
    MIUI Rom v1.6

Quote Originally Posted by masareti View Post
    i agree with everything except the bloatware. i hate seeing many apps i dont ever use. my list gets too big because of that
    I use Go Launcher and use the app folder to put all my unwanted apps in a folder at the end. That way all the stuff I don't use is kept in a nice little icon at the end of my app drawer.

Launcher Pro also has the ability to hide apps from your app drawer.

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    ROM
    LeeDroid

Quote Originally Posted by clintrojan View Post
    I use Go Launcher and use the app folder to put all my unwanted apps in a folder at the end. That way all the stuff I don't use is kept in a nice little icon at the end of my app drawer.

Launcher Pro also has the ability to hide apps from your app drawer.
    but then i cant use HTC sense widgets. whats the point of an HTC device without the widgets

I think rooting voids your warranty.

ROM
    The MidNote 1.4.2 Rom

I'm a new android user over from apple iphone 4 which is literally a 2minute piece of cake process to jailbreak. I see the root is a lot more complex than the jailbreaking process of the iphone. I most definitely plan on rooting my inspire android but I just want to get a better understanding for the android operating system to increase my comfort in doing the root myself and knowing, in worst case scenario, out to fix any problems I may potentially run into doing the rooting process.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, for now

Its all up to you. For me I wanted to play around with Cyanogen and other things, running Inspired Ace 1.0.1 currently and I get about 1 day 20 hours on one charge with medium use and a low reception area (signal jumping around from edge to 3g a lot)

Battery Life Depends a lot on the radio you use, im using the latest Desire HD radio and it seemed to improve everything greatly.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Just read that AT&T will remove its third-party app store restrictions — allowing users to download applications hosted outside of the official Google Market

Link to article below...
    Last edited by CutRiteFX; 05-09-2011 at 03:51 PM.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by CutRiteFX View Post
    Just read that AT&T will remove its third-party app store restrictions — allowing users to download applications hosted outside of the official Google Market

Really?! That's pretty awesome to hear. So wait, I know this is a nooby question but what's this mean for us? >>

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidianGeek View Post
    Really?! That's pretty awesome to hear. So wait, I know this is a nooby question but what's this mean for us? >>
    This would mean that we can install 3rd party applications without having to use WonderMachine. Just copy the APK to your memory card and install. And hopefully this will let us remove the bloatware off the phone Asphault, FamilyMap, ATT Navigator, Blockbuster ect.

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    ROM
    GingerBeast & CM7

Quote Originally Posted by ATT.Fan1982 View Post
    I'm a new android user over from apple iphone 4 which is literally a 2minute piece of cake process to jailbreak. I see the root is a lot more complex than the jailbreaking process of the iphone. I most definitely plan on rooting my inspire android but I just want to get a better understanding for the android operating system to increase my comfort in doing the root myself and knowing, in worst case scenario, out to fix any problems I may potentially run into doing the rooting process.
    One of the things to do when rooting, is that you don't lose any data or info on the phone. All you're doing is generating Admin Access to your phone. Voiding your warranty of course.

Once you've done that, you can install apps from 3rd party stores, etc, and install custom made ROMs, like the popular CyanogenMod ROMs.

Its simple to reinstall Sense UI if you wish to sell the phone, you just have to download the manufacturers exe.file (similar to iPhone's iOS when downgrading from jailbreak to stock).
    ANDROIDOGRAPHY
    WALLPAPERS FOR YOUR HTC INSPIRE 4G/DESIRE HD

CUSTOM ICON SET: MASHABLES
    by Homescrub

[B]I need to unroot my Inspire 4G [Thread]
    Clicking "THANKS" is the simplest and easiest way of showing appreciation.

Global Posts
    19,860 Global Posts

i have had my atrix since release day and haven't had an itch to root. heck, i never jailbroke my iPhone either. if i have to root a device for something i want/need, then that may not be the phone for me. i like phones that are awesome out the box. so when i get my inspire (hopefully by the weekend), i will probably root it, just to say i rooted it, but i may just go back to stock after trying CM on it like i did my nexus one.
    CrackBerry Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | Tech Enthusiast

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    ROM
    GingerBeast & CM7

Quote Originally Posted by Duvi View Post
    i have had my atrix since release day and haven't had an itch to root. heck, i never jailbroke my iPhone either. if i have to root a device for something i want/need, then that may not be the phone for me. i like phones that are awesome out the box. so when i get my inspire (hopefully by the weekend), i will probably root it, just to say i rooted it, but i may just go back to stock after trying CM on it like i did my nexus one.
    Rooting isn't for everyone. Only good thing here is that Android gives you freedom, which you chose to keep your phone stock. that's great. Most users become hungry for more, and once they root, your phone can manage apps and power better than stock phones can.
    ANDROIDOGRAPHY

by Homescrub

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

I prefer not to root. As I hate the fact that if I decide to put it back I can't fully restore it back to the way it was before I rooted. I have been reading that once you root you can install the stock rom but phone is still rooted. So if you have a problem and bring the phone into the store your warranty is voided.

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    ROM
    GingerBeast & CM7

Quote Originally Posted by CutRiteFX View Post
    I prefer not to root. As I hate the fact that if I decide to put it back I can't fully restore it back to the way it was before I rooted. I have been reading that once you root you can install the stock rom but phone is still rooted. So if you have a problem and bring the phone into the store your warranty is voided.
    Its easy to return it back to stock. Don't let some sort of misconception scare you from rooting it and thinking you can't. You can.

See: http://forum.androidcentral.com/insp...tml#post893790
    ANDROIDOGRAPHY

by Homescrub

Quote Originally Posted by Verdes8891 View Post
    One of the main reasons i would root the phone would be able to get access to third party application such as the amazon app store. But since AT&T is going to let up on that and allow it now. There goes my reasons. But there are other ones as well. Such as you can install some different roms to give it a different look and feel to the phone that you cannot get with stock roms and different launchers.
    Is there any word when that's going to happen? That's the only reason why I will root is 3rd party apps.
    Mr. Ro.

Global Posts
    2,230 Global Posts
    ROM
    TouchWizJB leak

Only thing that looks the same from when I bought my phone til now is the body of the phone. I rooted it in the first week and couldn't be happier. It's not as easy as other phones but it isn't horribly hard either. Especially now. It was harder the first week it was out than it is now. Comparing then and now, it's waaaaaaay easier. Custom ROMs (which are amazing BTW), being able to load the Amazon App Store on day one, and just having the freedom to do what I want, when I want and how I want with MY phone makes it all worth it. The only way you could tell my phone is from AT&T (aka The Death Star) would be to take the cover off and look at the back of it. It's your phone ladies and gents. Use it as you see fit and not AT&T.

Quote Originally Posted by berd View Post
    I think rooting voids your warranty.
    Rooting DOES void your warranty.
    Mr. Ro.

Global Posts
    2,230 Global Posts
    ROM
    TouchWizJB leak

Quote Originally Posted by rocketry876 View Post
    Rooting DOES void your warranty.
    Rooting will void the warranty but there are ways to put it back to stock in case you need to return it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast