Question about tethering..

ddiehl

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I recently read in a post about whether AT&T can tell if you are tethering. This is the response that a user at XDA posted:

Truth: They can tell you are tethering via ANY conveyance that uses IPNAT.
If it uses IPNAT, then the TTL is reduced by 1 since there is another hop. This is how they tell. This little bastardly monitoring technique is deployed on all "enhanced backhaul" sites and is slowly being added to the rest of their towers that are UMTS or better. A simple defeat is using a proxy type of program.. at that point there is absolutely no way they can prove you are tethering, since all packets actually ARE originating from the phone. I personally installed a squid server and set my devices to use it.

My Inspire is rooted, running CM7, and I tether very seldom. I am however going to be traveling soon, and will probably be tethering much more often. Can someone kindly tell me how to set up this "squid" server, or point me to a guide somewhere? Is it an app for the phone, a tool installed on my laptop, or a combination of both? This all sounds pretty foreign to me, so any help would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power