Inspire WIFI link speed limit?

underwhelmed#AC

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know of a link (phone to wireless-N router) speed limit imposed by the phone's hardware, AT&T or HTC?

I connect wirelessly to my Netgear N600 router at 150Mbps but cannot get a link speed above 65Mbps on the Inspire to the same router. AT&T says to contact HTC, HTC says they have absolutely no idea what wireless-N speeds can be obtained with the Inspire and told me that I would have to contact their engineering design team, in China(!!), for that information, then said they did not know how to do that. NETGEAR tried to help but said they have no info on what the WIFI speed capabilities of the Qualcomm MSM8255 chip is (I believe that this chip handles the Inspire's WIFI processing).

Does anyone know what the maximum link speed via wireless-N is and what factors go into arriving at that maximum?

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Same here. I have a wireless N router and can only connect at 65 Mbps. I'm not sure if it is a hardware limitation with the phone or the fact that I have the router setup in a mixed mode for backwards compatability, causing slower throughput. Do you have yours setup for backwards compatability?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

underwhelmed#AC

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I have mine set up for wireless-N only with security set to WPA2-PSK-AES (I believe this is a requirement for higher wireless-N speeds). I have tried with no security and with mixed mode (B,G,N), but 65Mbps is the fastest I have acheived with THIS router.

I have also gotten 72Mbps with an older Airlink 101 wireless-N router, set to N-band only w/WPA2. No idea why the Airlink will connect at a higher link speed than the newer, more advanced(?) and more expensive NETGEAR wireless-N.

The 150Mbps connection I mentioned was acheived with a 4 month old ASUS netbook and I can consistently connect at that speed using either of the routers.

I would love to get the phone link speed up to at least 100Mbps to allow much better streaming of video from my desktop computer to my Inspire phone over my LAN. The desktop is connected at 100Mbps via Ethernet cabling but I would consider upgrading the network adapter to megabit, or buy a wireless-N adapter for the desktop if I knew that the Inspire would actually use the increased speed.

If the Inspire has a real limit of 65Mbps (or 72Mbps) due to hardware shortcomings or imposed by HTC or AT&T via software restrictions, I suppose I will have to live with that. It is just frustrating that neither company's tech support either has a clue or will admit to restrictions imposed by them. I think any reasonable person would expect that a cell phone marketed as being wireless-N would acheive link speeds greater than 72Mbps, which is only 18MBps greater than G-band and far less than the 150 or 300 wireless-N max speeds.

Anyone else have any insight into this?

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Must be a hardware limitation with the phone. I have the Netgear N300 router with security of WPA/WPA2-PSK for the backwards compatibility. I haven't tried any different configurations with mine because I already know the other phones in my home that are wireless G would lose connectivity. The N300 uses 2.4 GHz radio for the availability of the backwards compatibility. Your N600 being dual band would also have 5 GHz radio for dedicated wireless N connectivity, so no doubt you should be seeing higher than 65 Mbps. Are you sure you are using the 5 GHz radio to setup your network for your phone? If so, then it must be a limitation with the phone.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1