Ladies, how do you carry it?

Judy android

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
No jokes, please, guys.

I am coming to the Inspire from a really ancient cellphone that fits in the watch pocket of my jeans. While I'm really excited to be able to hold in my hand a computer that would control dozens of Apollo spacecraft simultaneously, and can also serve as a phone, I am wondering what to do with it. I don't carry a large purse. When I'm wearing my jeans, I put things in my pockets, including fence staples, horse clippers, etc. I was looking at the Otterbox to use the belt clip with my jeans, although that is about as attractive as a 1980's techie with a belt pager. If the dog jumps up, will he paw the phone out of the Otterbox belt holster? (Yes, he knows better than to do that. But sometimes he just does it anyway.) When I'm out and about, I would want the phone out of sight, which would mean a larger purse.

Do any of the ladies on this site have ideas? I would really appreciate it.

Thors Gal

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem you have and that is why I stayed with a flip phone for so long. I have concluded that one case will not do all the jobs I need. I have a zagg on the front and a thin case that has a lip on it to protect the face. And it has worked. I droped it on the asphalt face down. And I don't wear a belt, so that is out for me as well. I use a belt horiznal case on the strap of my cross body purse for work. (so it vertical on use) and it fits tightly and doesn't fall out when you pull the flap up, you have to force it out of the case. Would not be safe if the fit was looser. For walking around at fairs and other shopping places I use a small wallet on a string bag. (again cross body) However, I still have not solved my problem for working outside. My husband uses his upper shirt pocket on his carhartts. Even though it fits in my back jeans pocket, I don't want to risk sitting on it, or being head butted by my livestock. I have considered a padded pouch on a carabiner (spelling) I saw one l liked for a mini camera but it did not fit the phone so I am thinking about making one. It had a belt loop on it as well as a draw sting with a closer thing like they put on sports pouches. The one I saw looked somewhat like a Lowepro Hipshot 30 camera case but cuter and more padding. But you can get the basic idea from looking at those.

purse-1.jpg

case.jpg

Good luck,
Thors gal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Judy android

Judy android

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Great ideas!

Thank you, Thor's Gal, those are really helpful ideas. Wish I could still have my SIM card in the flip phone for those out-on-the-farm times, because that seems to be the hardest part for me to cope with.

Thors Gal

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I still have my old phone and card. I believe you can pop the sim out from your inspire without much problem. The real question is will the flip read it. I have not tested it yet. My only complaint about my thin case it that it doesn't have a lip to protect the camera lens on the back. But it does well on the protecting the face without adding much bulk and it is not too grippy so I can't get it in and out of other cases and pockets. So far, I have just left the phone in the house when working outside. But I liked knowing that I had a phone in case I got in trouble. My husband is often not home or in the house and would not hear me.

In the photo it is very clear the purse and case are 2 different materials, but in the office I believe it looks like a match, or at least not very noticeable that they don't match perfectly. I really like the book case style I have seen on websites but I can't find a US seller so far. And the one I like is very pricey. I really think a padded pouch that I can clip to my jeans belt loop is the best idea I can come up with. I have been thinking and looking for 3-4 months now.

Thanks,
Thor's Gal

raver_returns

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Great ideas!

Thank you, Thor's Gal, those are really helpful ideas. Wish I could still have my SIM card in the flip phone for those out-on-the-farm times, because that seems to be the hardest part for me to cope with.

Just a thought. I actually added another line to our account. Just a cheap phone to use for backup purposes and for going to concerts, working in a ditch, whatever I may be doing that I wouldn't want to risk my good phone. So whenever I use the backup, I just have my main line forwarded to it. That way I never worry about transferring sims, losing my phone, or anything. You can get a cheap phone for free on contract, or you can just get one of their $10 go phones and use it on an added line to your account for $10 a month. No contract on that line. Pretty cheap peace of mind, in my opinion.

Thors Gal

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, if she already has a working phone then it would just be an extra line charge and activating the old phone, right?

Judy android

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Great ideas!

Just a thought. I actually added another line to our account. Just a cheap phone to use for backup purposes and for going to concerts, working in a ditch, whatever I may be doing that I wouldn't want to risk my good phone. So whenever I use the backup, I just have my main line forwarded to it. That way I never worry about transferring sims, losing my phone, or anything. You can get a cheap phone for free on contract, or you can just get one of their $10 go phones and use it on an added line to your account for $10 a month. No contract on that line. Pretty cheap peace of mind, in my opinion.
Thanks, Raver Returns, I have been considering that. AT&T tells me the new sim card will work in the old flip phone, but I wouldn't want to be popping the sim card in and out several times a day. Since I'd want the phone primarily for calling out if I got in trouble, that would work for me and I wouldn't have to foreard and unforward calls all of the time.

Judy android

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I still have my old phone and card. I believe you can pop the sim out from your inspire without much problem. The real question is will the flip read it. I have not tested it yet. My only complaint about my thin case it that it doesn't have a lip to protect the camera lens on the back. But it does well on the protecting the face without adding much bulk and it is not too grippy so I can't get it in and out of other cases and pockets. So far, I have just left the phone in the house when working outside. But I liked knowing that I had a phone in case I got in trouble. My husband is often not home or in the house and would not hear me.

In the photo it is very clear the purse and case are 2 different materials, but in the office I believe it looks like a match, or at least not very noticeable that they don't match perfectly. I really like the book case style I have seen on websites but I can't find a US seller so far. And the one I like is very pricey. I really think a padded pouch that I can clip to my jeans belt loop is the best idea I can come up with. I have been thinking and looking for 3-4 months now.

Thanks,
Thor's Gal
Thor's Gal, what do you mean by book case style?

ilovethebeach

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I am on the wrong forum, but I have a Inc with a no name case (bought at the mall) and it goes into my purse. I see women with the cell phone holder on their purse, someone could still take it.

ilovethebeach

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I am on the wrong forum, but I have a Inc with a no name case (bought at the mall) and it goes into my purse. I see women with the cell phone holder on their purse, someone could still take it.

Thors Gal

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, someone could take it from the purse or someone could take the whole purse, pick your pocket or take your car with the phone in it. Just have to be smart and aware. But you can't remove all risk.

Thors Gal

Judy android

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you to all of you for your suggestions. Here is what I have done so far:

The first thing I did was to install the Zagg screen protector.

Next, I put the phone in a sandwich bag, to carry in my purse or my front jean pocket. I have a lot of pocket frazzle, just a hazard of living in the country, I guess. I have been using the other jeans pocket for the horse cookies, dog biscuits, nitrile gloves, and of course the fence staples, but it'll take awhile for the frazzle and crumbs to wash out of the "phone" pocket -- did you know that some jean pockets can't be inverted for washing anymore?

Meanwhile, I ordered, and have now received, two items from Amazon:

Amazon.com: TPU Rubber Skin Case for HTC Desire HD, Clear Frost Smoke Circle: Electronics, ($2.60, free shipping). It fits fine and doesn't add much bulk.

Amazon.com: For HTC EVO 4G/ HD7/ Thunderbolt/ Inspire 4G/ HD7S Leather Pouch Case Cover Holster HD2H6A: Cell Phones & Accessories, ($.75 plus $2.96 shipping). This has a clip on the back which I will use to clip the phone to the car visor, as I used to do with the flip phone. I selected this holster because it also has belt loops so I can wear the phone with them out on the farm. I wouldn't trust just a clip for that. I put the sandwich bag over the cased phone and put it in the pouch. The pouch fits snugly on the phone with or without the above rubber case.

I wouldn't rule out getting a more protective case, but I was having a hard time making up my mind and the $2.60 case will do just fine until I decide on something else. This case is understated but distinguishes the phone from all of the plain black cases. This case comes in other colors, but sold by other vendors. I liked this color and this vendor got good marks. They shipped quickly.

Thank you to all of you, and especially to Thor's Gal, for your help.

Thors Gal

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I am glad I could help. Your leather pouch is very much like mine and I put my purse strap through one loop and the clip and then loop it over the last loop to hold it in place. This weekend I used a E-Merse Submersible Electronics Case - Seattle Sports Company

pouch for an Ipod. It was a bit tight to put in and out but it was easy to talk and surf through the plastic and was worth the peace of mind. I got it at REI on sale for 12$. I like your zip lock bag idea, and I have used it for camera equipment before when boating. Never thought about it about the farm. I also bought my cheaper body cover case because I could not decide on the more expensive ones. I like everything about it accept the camera lens protection.

Good luck,
Thor's Gal

Last edited:

Thors Gal

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I am glad I could help. Your leather pouch is very much like mine and I put my purse strap through one loop and the clip and then loop it over the last loop to hold it in place. This weekend I used a E-Merse Submersible Electronics Case - Seattle Sports Company

pouch for an Ipod. It was a bit tight to put in and out but it was easy to talk and surf through the plastic and was worth the peace of mind. I got it at REI on sale for 12$. I like your zip lock bag idea, and I have used it for camera equipment before when boating. Never thought about it about the farm. I also bought my cheaper body cover case because I could not decide on the more expensive ones. I like everything about it accept the camera lens protection.

Good luck,
Thor's Gal
This is like the pouch I saw.
http://store.androidcentral.com/golla-grape-pouch/4A193A5341.htm