AT&T LG G2: excessive battery drain

Jon n

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: at&t only battery drain?

I bought my g2 on launch day and was very excited about all is features then I found out about the battery life. For about the first three weeks it was great I plugged it in our of habit at night and after about a week I realized I could easily go two days on a charge.

Now around three weeks of usage I noticed my battery would drain heavily while not in use. I read all the threads about caller iq and tried disabling it but received mixed results. Tried turning off sync gps wifi etc and nothing helped. Then when the last update for Google search/now came out I updated and since then I have had zero issues with battery life. I'm not saying it's a fix all for everyone but hopefully it might help a few others out there.

Tl;Dr =updating Google search fixed my battery issues.

Posted via Android Central App

bcantana

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

The best battery saver app is NONE of them. They are absolutely unnecessary on these phones and all of these types of apps will use more battery than they save (or just "dumb down" your high end "smart phone").

Thanks tsells! After removing Juice Defender (but still at 50% screen brightness and killing IQ Carrier) I am now enjoying no wifi drainage issues and have been up for over 20 hours under normal usage and still at 43% battery. I am still using Smart Wifi Toggler to help switch between optimal known wifi hotspots and Watchdog to alert me if anything should start running above 20% cpu.

I don't think I will be doing anything else to try to optimize at this point. These numbers are great for me!

-Ben

Ventura726

May 16, 2012
Visit site

I was getting a little worried after reading this thread while researching this phone. I got decent battery life with my S4 Active but I'm a phone junkie and everything about the G2 had me jonesing. Got mine a few days ago and after my first full discharge then charge cycle, I got over 33 hours on battery with over 5 hours of screen time. That's with WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth, and sync turned ON, and auto brightness OFF with display set to 40%. Only thing I did was stop Carrier IQ. Hope things stay this way!

1385591712425.jpg
1385591733558.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

Ventura726

May 16, 2012
Visit site

Went to settings-apps-running and clicked on Android System. It showed one process running and it was something like lg.IQ (doesn't show up now that I've stopped it) and ended the process.

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Does this app break down battery and data usage by Package? I need to do something and find out which package is killing my battery...

The best battery saver app is NONE of them. They are absolutely unnecessary on these phones and all of these types of apps will use more battery than they save (or just "dumb down" your high end "smart phone").

I totally agree but I had (randomly have) problem with Android System using absurd amount of battery, and I would love to find which one of it's packages is using the battery, it was driving me crazy, but now I am on Skype call for over 30 minutes and also since I unplugged my G2 this morning around 9am, I am still at %81, wifi was on all day and I switched to 4G LTE on, bunch of notifications running, dropbox, etc.. which is still very impressive. I give props to skype, with 30+minutes of voice/video call It still used around 4% which is less than phone idle!

YourManAdrian

May 8, 2013
Visit site

I've had my G2 for about two weeks now and I'm having the same problem. For the most part, I'll get amazing battery life. Just last night I was able to get over 7 hours of on screen time. When I went to be last night I had 96% battery life and I woke up with 55%. It's about the 3rd or 4th time it happens since I've had the phone. I have the carrier IQ disabled on the phone. I haven't master reset my phone since I haven't read one post where it says it actually helped. I'm guessing it's just a software issues. Hopefully LG and AT&T can get some type of patch out soon.

AT&T LG G2 :)

durtNdubs

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I've tried every recommended "fix" and not one of them has worked.
What's next?!?!?!?!
This morning my phone was at 56% from 100% when I went to bed. I have IQ off and it said this morning Android system was using 61% of my battery!!!!! Insane! Funny thing is as soon as I start using it during the course of the morning Android system sits at around 20% ALL DAY!
Should I just leave it charging all night? I know it has a LiPo battery and that's a no no but come on, this is ridiculous.

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site

What's next?!?!?!?!
This morning my phone was at 56% from 100% when I went to bed. I have IQ off and it said this morning Android system was using 61% of my battery!!!!! Insane! Funny thing is as soon as I start using it during the course of the morning Android system sits at around 20% ALL DAY!
Should I just leave it charging all night? I know it has a LiPo battery and that's a no no but come on, this is ridiculous.

We need to find an app that breaks down the memory usage by Package, not just by app. That will help tremendously. Is it possible your phone keeps searching for signal all night? How is the data traffic?
By packages I mean this: How can we get the battery usage for each!?

PS: Sometimes my phone goes crazy and gives me expected usage of +300 hrs until I start playing with it.. really weird. See this

aeaf02a652f113f4ae6e76ac0e016b0f.png

by packages, I mean these, we need to find a way to check these, because mine was also %60 just like yours, but it could be just based on last few minutes' %60...

eb7ca94c11f267ee6579d7b136b8ac06.png

There are two screens full of packages in this.

040686b89638d649923fcdbb60ceb727.png 0b2f2aabef6b7fbb460676a6c35cc5cd.png

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I am not sure what is causing your battery drain, but you certainly can leave your phone plugged in all night. It is not a "no-no" as you have noted.

Forget about checking what is causing your problem, if you have done what is recommended.
Plug your phone in all night, take it off in the morning, and use it all day. How much battery is left when you get home? If it makes it all day, then that's all you need to worry about. There really does seem to be a lot of obsessing as to how much battery is used during the day.
All that should matter is if it can make it a whole day, and I have never had a day that the G2's battery didn't last.

Sonix

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site

For those answering back who are having great battery life, what's your usage like? I don't need screenshots necessarily, im just trying to build a case/figure out how abnormal my results are.

I keep my brightness on auto always, turn off wifi when out of network, never use bluetooth and rarely stray over 2 hour of screen on time, have FB, gmail, yahoo weather and not much else auto-updating in the background and I'm LUCKY to make 12 hours with that... sounds fishy right?
I just got mine, but with the screen at 100% and the same kind of usage that you do, my battery lasted a little less than 24 hours. I still had 16% left.

durtNdubs

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site

I am not sure what is causing your battery drain, but you certainly can leave your phone plugged in all night. It is not a "no-no" as you have noted.

Forget about checking what is causing your problem, if you have done what is recommended.
Plug your phone in all night, take it off in the morning, and use it all day. How much battery is left when you get home? If it makes it all day, then that's all you need to worry about. There really does seem to be a lot of obsessing as to how much battery is used during the day.
All that should matter is if it can make it a whole day, and I have never had a day that the G2's battery didn't last.

My battery life is excellent when it's in use during the day. I'm mostly a moderate user with some heavy use sprinkled in at times every day and I've never drained it. That's what I find so odd tho. How can I go to work and use it heavy some days for 10+ hrs and come home with anywhere from 20-30 % still left but can go to sleep and not touch the phone for 6-7 hrs and have almost 60% drain?
But as you have advised, and if it's not hurting anything, I'll just leave it plugged in all night. I have no problem with that if there's no harm in it.

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

Leaving your phone on the charger all night will in no way hurt the phone. The charging circuitry in the phone is very sophisticated and will not allow the battery to overcharge.

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Leaving your phone on the charger all night will in no way hurt the phone. The charging circuitry in the phone is very sophisticated and will not allow the battery to overcharge.

Hahaha, my old Samsung phones tells me "Charging Complete, unplug to conserve electricity" or "save energy" or something like that.. Samsung is such a nice guy, so considerate of my electricity bill.. :)

durtNdubs

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site

Tried everything. Went to AT&T and they couldn't help. Called device support and they are sending me a new phone. We'll see what happens with the new one...

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site

What's next?!?!?!?!

Tried everything. Went to AT&T and they couldn't help. Called device support and they are sending me a new phone. We'll see what happens with the new one...

Good Luck.
We really need to find a way to dig deeper into this Android System issue, loo

880049dc6fac7c495461894312070ad6.png

I seriously doubt a new device will help.
Then I charged it, and all day today it only used %27, it's really weird. I don't think there is anything else wrong, just Android System, something in there..

leftcoastusa

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

What's next?!?!?!?!

I've been having the exact same symptoms, and also turn off CarrierIQ (it needs to be done any time it's reset, btw). I'm investigating, using Android Tuner to see what's using all the power, and so far, I'm not sure because I'm still learning to use the app. The author is very quick to help, so I may ask him more.

It seems like Android System is the culprit, particularly LGE Gravity Sensor, for some reason. It might have something to do with the knock to wake feature, because when I turned it off, it seemed better - but I haven't yet left it off all night.

About leaving it on all night... I did that at first, even though the salesman (Costco) told me to turn it off while charging. I thought he was wrong, but I read some technical articles from Battery University and learned that he isn't. They say that it is not good to leave a lithium-powered device on after full charging (doesn't matter whether it's lithium-ion, lithium-poly, etc - that's just packaging, and they are essentially the same). The reason is that there is a trickle charge when it's full, and if the device is on, it triggers this trickle charger to go on and off too often, which stresses the battery. They also say it's better for the battery to charge it to slightly less than full.

Now, I don't know how important this charging info is, as in the past, I've left devices on all the time and the batteries always seemed to last pretty well, although maybe they would have lasted longer if I had not done that. Then I'd have an obsolete device with a good battery! :)

[citation needed?] Here is an article I read about the charging: Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries – Battery University

leftcoastusa

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

OK, last night I turned off double-tap before going to sleep, with the battery at 100%. This morning, the battery was still at 100%. I left double-tap off for a while, and after about 14 hours, it's down to 95%. Negligible LGE Gravity Sensor usage so far. The built-in battery statistics says expected usage is over 199 hours.

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

OK, last night I turned off double-tap before going to sleep, with the battery at 100%. This morning, the battery was still at 100%. I left double-tap off for a while, and after about 14 hours, it's down to 95%. Negligible LGE Gravity Sensor usage so far. The built-in battery statistics says expected usage is over 199 hours.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. The next time mine acts wonky I'll check the gravity sensor.

Posted via Android Central App using an LG G2.

leftcoastusa

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

Last night, I enabled the gravity sensor, making no other changes, and it caused 40% of the battery to get used, about 5% per hour.

Maybe 5% per hour is acceptible to some people, but this is with no screen use, no talking, just sitting and not being moved. Seems too high to me.

Does anyone else leave their phone on, but off the charger at night? FWIW, I've read some technical articles about Lithium-based batteries that say it should not be left on the charger while the device is powered on, and I don't really want to turn it off at night. Besides, I don't like the idea of that much battery drain all day in my pocket, either.