AT&T LG G2: excessive battery drain

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: at&t only battery drain?

Last night, I enabled the gravity sensor, making no other changes, and it caused 40% of the battery to get used, about 5% per hour.

Maybe 5% per hour is acceptible to some people, but this is with no screen use, no talking, just sitting and not being moved. Seems too high to me.

Does anyone else leave their phone on, but off the charger at night? FWIW, I've read some technical articles about Lithium-based batteries that say it should not be left on the charger while the device is powered on, and I don't really want to turn it off at night. Besides, I don't like the idea of that much battery drain all day in my pocket, either.

Do you have a cat that likes to play at night?
I'm kidding.

But seriously, thanks for this. Your post is the first I've seen about the double-tap/gravity sensor wake-lock.

Sonix

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site

Anyone consider signal strength as real culprit? As it goes up and down so too does battery usage.

leftcoastusa

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

Anyone consider signal strength as real culprit? As it goes up and down so too does battery usage.
Yeah, that's a good point, but... I'm not checking theories, I'm looking at the detailed battery statistics using Android Tuner, a fairly detailed diagnostic app. I'm looking at what the big users are, and LGE Gravity Sensor seems to be the biggest - unless I use the screen enough to pass it. I don't think it's affected by signal strength, although I can't say that I know that for certain since I don't really know exactly what it's used for.

leftcoastusa

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

Do you have a cat that likes to play at night?
I'm kidding.

But seriously, thanks for this. Your post is the first I've seen about the double-tap/gravity sensor wake-lock.

No, no critters of any kind; but that would have been a possibility with a cat; they like to play with things that we pay attention to, it seems. Perhaps it would keep the cat warm. :)

leftcoastusa

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

Well, guys, now I'm almost embarrassed. Last night, before going to bed, I did a reboot (something I've done a lot, but I usually go in and disable CarrierIQ afterwards; last night, I didn't). This morning, it was around 95%, and after about 10 hours or so, with some light usage, it's down to 92%. LGE Gravity Sensor is still the biggest user by far, but I could live with this if it doesn't get worse again.

I think either my phone is defective, or there's still more I need to understand. I'll certainly watch and keep testing (something I'm good at) during the next couple of months, since I have a 90-day swap from Costco.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I've been getting some insane good battery performance lately.

normally i can go 4-5+ hours from full charge and stay at 100% with little to no usage and then once it breaks 100% it will decline at a normal rate and i'll get a day and a half.

sometimes it doesnt stay at 100% so long and declines a little faster but still getting morning to evening usage. so i would tell most not to watch the battery so much if the rate varys now and then and you'll still get a days+ work out of it. i dont think it's a phone defect more than there is some process running and it varies at times but cant say what triggers it... signal strength?

My last 24 hours pretty has been light usage, take a few calls, texting off and on, my exchange and yahoo still notifying me all day of emails and i knock knock checking emails throughout the day as well as pull up apps and it went through last night and maybe took 4-5% drain while sleeping and woke to find it still in the 80s!

The best battery on a phone i've ever had. only thing i did was disable the bloatware since I got my phone, slowly finding more to disable. and i dont run wifi or bluetooth or nfc cause i just dont have a use for it but otherwise i run everything else. at this rate i should still have battery going into evening.

the only difference in last two days is i decided to disable picasa uploader and the first day i was making long calls and web browsing over an hour straight, opening all my apps and checking settings as well as organizing apps in folders in my app drawer in addition to my daily routine and couldnt get the sucker to drain under 50% by bedtime even though i was trying to.

Screenshot_2013-12-24-08-36-05_zps61ecbc85.png

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

12 hours later from my morning post... light day but filled with calls, texts, emails, chat on beejive, photos taken... and still 50% left. been very impressed with the battery on the phone.

Screenshot_2013-12-24-20-39-35_zpsfef18fe0.png

Kitchensync

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

I've been following the threads on LG G2 battery drain and I've been following many of the (turning off CIQ, GPS, WiFi... apps) recommendations w/o rooting my phone. So, last night, at about 11pm, with 9% battery life left, I turned my phone off, plugged in the charger, and eight hours later my phone was charged up to 79%. I charged it with the charger that came with the phone. I've never seen charging this slow. I think I could have charged it faster in my car. What happened?

Kyle Duwel

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

Similar issues as others, but something a little different. At work or anywhere else, my battery life has been great. Hardly lose any battery at work even though I get emails on it all day. When I go home, completely different. I lose battery very, very quickly. I do not leave any Apps running and do not use Wi-Fi at home. Typically, at home I will not use unless I receive an email or text. Why the difference? Also, forgot to charge over night and phone went dead. I have been charging basically since 7:30 AM (now 11:30 am) and only at 85 percent.

Sonix

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site

Both of you need to take it back, or have LG fix them they have a 1 year! What is normal it not to have anything turned off! I get about a day with mine unless I'm out of wireless coverage for an hour or so.

bad43085

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

I've been on this thread earlier in its life and just read the last few posts about people struggling with battery life. I had the same problem. So bad, in fact, that after effectively turning my smartphone into a dumbphone just to get it to last me until I got home from work, I took it into AT&T and got a new phone. It wasn't any better for the first day. I finally turned off wifi and used the phone until it died. I then left the phone off while charging it back up to 100%. After that (while leaving wifi off), I've been consistently getting 2-3 days of use out of it. The one time I charged my phone at night before the battery had died, I got less than desirable battery life. So I went back to the empty-full MO and it seemed to work. I believe the longest I've gone on one charge (with low-moderate use) was a little over 79 hours. On a weekend, when I'm on it more frequently, I'll still go 48 hours pretty easily. Right now, I'm at 37% remaining and it has been 52 hours since unplugging last with another 24 hours projected use remaining. If anyone hasn't tried just simply running the battery dry then leaving the phone off and charging to 100% before using again with wifi OFF, you might want to try that to see if that improves things.

Kitchensync

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

I will probably try the empty/full scheme, but I'm curious about one thing...once you drained your battery down to zero, how many hours did it take you to charge it to 100% while phone was off? Last night I turned my G2 off and plugged in the charger. In 8 hours, it only charged 70%! Once I turn it on and started charging, it began recharging normally. That's why I want to know how long it takes to go from 0 to 100...while phone is off.

bad43085

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

I will probably try the empty/full scheme, but I'm curious about one thing...once you drained your battery down to zero, how many hours did it take you to charge it to 100% while phone was off? Last night I turned my G2 off and plugged in the charger. In 8 hours, it only charged 70%! Once I turn it on and started charging, it began recharging normally. That's why I want to know how long it takes to go from 0 to 100...while phone is off.

Usually 2-3 hours.

Kyle Duwel

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

Can anyone think of a reason why my phone would not lose battery at work verses losing battery extremely quickly at home? Absolutely no difference in use at work and at home. Also, I do not change any settings throughout the day.

bad43085

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Can anyone think of a reason why my phone would not lose battery at work verses losing battery extremely quickly at home? Absolutely no difference in use at work and at home. Also, I do not change any settings throughout the day.

Difference in network or signal strength in the two areas?

Kitchensync

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

What type of charger are you using? I've never been able to charge a phone, from 0-100, in 3 hours, in my life...and I've had a few phones. I would like a charger like this. I believe you, but please advise.

bad43085

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

What type of charger are you using? I've never been able to charge a phone, from 0-100, in 3 hours, in my life...and I've had a few phones. I would like a charger like this. I believe you, but please advise.

Stock charger, directly into the wall. I never charge my phone before it dies completely. Even if it is at 8% by the time I go to bed. Though if this is the case, I will just try to stay up and kill it by using it. But sometimes it just won't die, and I have to start charging when I get to work around 8:30. Usually fully charged by 11 or 12.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37