Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default WiFi tether for AT&T-LG G2

I'm curious as to why nobody haven't nailed this down so that tethering is possible without the native hotspot app..I know the Verizon model is able to do so..If anyone know of a solution please point me in that direction..It may be a deal breaker of me keeping this phone

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk now Free

Default Re: WiFi tether for AT&T-LG G2

This works on the AT&T LG G2 supposedly. I haven't tried it, but someone on XDA reported that it worked well for his G2.

Wifi Tethering working ! !! - xda-developers
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)

1. Download SQLite Editor
    2. Open the file - /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
    3. There's a field named 'tether_entitlement_check_state'. Original value s set to 5. Changed it to 0 and save
    4. Reboot the phone
    5. Enjoy tethering.

Global Posts
    305 Global Posts

Will at&t be able to detect it?

Quote Originally Posted by tp2386 View Post
    Will at&t be able to detect it?
    Of course.

Posted via Android Central App using an LG G2.

Global Posts
    305 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Some_Nobody View Post
    Of course.

Well in that case, why would wouldn't people just use the native hotspot app? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by tp2386 View Post
    Well in that case, why would wouldn't people just use the native hotspot app? Just curious.
    I don't understand the question.
    The sql update allows people to use the native app. But to think that AT&T can't figure it out is silly.

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Dont mean to thread jack, but I'm looking at upgrading to the G2...

Is tethering not available at all? with any apps or in the settings (without editing the DB)? Is it ATT cracking down on unauthorized tethering? I have the HTC 8x and use tethering... we have a Mobile Share plan that has free tethering.

Not a major deal breaker... my wife tethers from her iPhone most of the time... but there have been times where I've needed it on my phone and it's very handy to have.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rekkid View Post
    Dont mean to thread jack, but I'm looking at upgrading to the G2...

Is tethering not available at all? with any apps or in the settings (without editing the DB)? Is it ATT cracking down on unauthorized tethering? I have the HTC 8x and use tethering... we have a Mobile Share plan that has free tethering.

Not a major deal breaker... my wife tethers from her iPhone most of the time... but there have been times where I've needed it on my phone and it's very handy to have.

Thanks!
    Sure it's available. Buy a plan that includes it.

Otherwise do the sql thing above and have free tethering until AT&T gets wise to you.

My point above was just because you can turn it on at the phone doesn't mean that they don't know you did.

Thanked by:
    rekkid 

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Some_Nobody View Post
    Sure it's available. Buy a plan that includes it.

Otherwise do the sql thing above and have free tethering until AT&T gets wise to you.

My point above was just because you can turn it on at the phone doesn't mean that they don't know you did.

No thanks for clarifying it... I did a quick search around and it wasnt clear if it was available... we have tethering on our accounts, so it should be good. With it being free on contract now... it's tempting. but with the rumor mill ramping up, might be worth it to wait and see what is coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by rekkid View Post
    No thanks for clarifying it... I did a quick search around and it wasnt clear if it was available... we have tethering on our accounts, so it should be good. With it being free on contract now... it's tempting. but with the rumor mill ramping up, might be worth it to wait and see what is coming out.
    Yeah, this time a year it's always hard to know whether to wait or jump on a good deal.

MWC is coming up so a lot of good stuff will be announced.